• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So I see IN is going to join the ranks of states that allow lawful carry without a license. Great! My son turns 18 in about 2 weeks and I am glad to see this change. Regardless He is interested in applying for his license. So….

5 year vs Lifetime? I see they are now both fee exempt. The 5 years is not exempt from NICS. To my knowledge there is no advantages from a reciprocity standpoint. Anybody have the skinny on why he would apply for one over the other?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep, why not do lifetime? Doesn't hurt to have a "certified good guy" card to show?

It have heard from reliable sources that handing your pink card with driver's license will sometimes turn a minor speeding ticket into a warning? With local and county officers anyway, not sure about state?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Yep, why not do lifetime? Doesn't hurt to have a "certified good guy" card to show?

It have heard from reliable sources that handing your pink card with driver's license will sometimes turn a minor speeding ticket into a warning? With local and county officers anyway, not sure about state?

Not sure I've had my permit have any influence locally, but I can assure you I've never had an ISP or KSP officer do anything that made me feel like they were trying to deescalate any potential opportunity.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Maybe. It is a way to deescalate and show you are a "good guy". Not necessarily a "get out of the ticket" card, but something that can make the interaction with police more positive and non-confrontational. Anything you can do to make the interaction more casual is in your best interest.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not sure I've had my permit have any influence locally, but I can assure you I've never had an ISP or KSP officer do anything that made me feel like they were trying to deescalate any potential opportunity.

I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, used to get one every other year or three. I like the pedal. ;)

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Some states will only recognize a permit from your state. You have to be able to show an active permit. The fact that your state is Constitutional carry may be meaningless in another state. Some states only recognize Constitutional carry for their residents, not for non-residents.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    So I see IN is going to join the ranks of states that allow lawful carry without a license. Great! My son turns 18 in about 2 weeks and I am glad to see this change. Regardless He is interested in applying for his license. So….

5 year vs Lifetime? I see they are now both fee exempt. The 5 years is not exempt from NICS. To my knowledge there is no advantages from a reciprocity standpoint. Anybody have the skinny on why he would apply for one over the other?
    I believe there is still a local or finger printing fee… don’t believe it is completely FREE.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I believe there is still a local or finger printing fee… don’t believe it is completely FREE.
    When we got my wife's the $13 fingerprint fee was all we paid.

The best argument for still getting an LTCH is reciprocity with other states, as mentioned above there are states where an out of state "permit holder" can carry.

For a constitutional right it sure is complicated. :(

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you carry a gun you probably still want the license. Personally I have 3 (IN, FL, UT).

The question is does the 5 year license offer any advantage over the lifetime license? Or vice versa. If the price is the same I will just have the boy apply for the lifetime.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Get the lifetime permit. Either one will put him on the "radar", so why not get one that you will never have to mess with again? And most LEOs will relax a bit knowing that he has already been "vetted" by the NCIC if he ever gets stopped.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Yeah, get the lifetime. I just got my lifetime (literally came in the mail yesterday, just in time for constitutional carry being passed, lol) and as far as I could tell it was the exact same process as when I got my 5-year a couple years ago.

Top Bottom