• Total voters

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We're here on vacation and our neighbor clearly has them. He also has a job that he leaves for around 7am. These structures are anything but sound proof. He fired it up and the dogs start in. He leaves, the dogs continue.

Loud pipes... What says INGO? I say no point to them. If you want to warn others of your presence, point the exhaust forward where most accidents come from.
    You have all spring, summer and fall to gather firewood and cut it into nice small pieces for the fireplace. Your backyard would be a great place to do it.
    MotoGP@Brno 2008, Camp Start - Chainsaw engine VERY LOUD!! - YouTube

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Hyperbole.

Being a rider I know what's going on. I give bikes a wide berth, never slashing lines, giving extra room since bike's brakes are better than my car, etc. If I see a new tag on a bike I especially keep an eye on them with plenty of room.

I do not would never drive intentionally in a reckless or dangerous fashion. However, if you come up roaring up behind me expecting me to get out of your way, forget it. If you want me to pull ahead slightly into the intersection so you can turn right on red, not going to happen. The same if you're on playing with your phone while driving. Normally I drive in a very courteous manner - I try to make sure I never block anyone from passing (not a center line driver here) or prevent you from turning right or left on red. I always stop behind the solid white line and don't creep up on red. But if you show disregard for the safety of others - playing with phones, reckless driving, loud pipes by choice (bike or car), expect no such courtesy. And don't even think of lane splitting with me.

Not aimed at the OP, just a reference quote, The use of a motor vehicle in a threatening or intimidating way can be prosecutable, ranging from assault to assault with a deadly weapon to attempted murder. Oh and just remember some of us riders in Indiana are carrying...and left handed:):

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I dislike them but only on cruiser V-twins. The lower frequency goes right through walls and is soooo irritating. Sports bikes, with open exhaust, are not nearly as load while idling or riding under normal conditions.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Not aimed at the OP, just a reference quote, The use of a motor vehicle in a threatening or intimidating way can be prosecutable, ranging from assault to assault with a deadly weapon to attempted murder. Oh and just remember some of us riders in Indiana are carrying...and left handed:):

+1!

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I don't intentionally try to annoy any one with my "loud pipes". Agreed straight pipes are loud and so are my pistols without ear protection. Now lets lalk about all those cute little moped scooter thingies that are so cool. They don't get in the way on the roads and you can tell most are very experienced riders. Most probably had a drivers license at one time too or are too young to have one. Not to mention I am sure Flo has them insured too. Sheeeesh. Oh and just remember some of us riders in Indiana are carrying...and left handed:): Left handed yup, I like that.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't sit at a light making any more noise that I need to with my straight pipes. If you've seen me, you'll know I am a big fan of bright colors, especially tie-dyed bright colors. :runaway: While I am bike-less now, I tried hard to be seen first but that doesn't always work so as a back up, I had loud pipes. The horn on a bike, unless you replace it with something bigger and louder, is pretty much worthless. So I can't honk for attention like most cars do, so I give it some more gas and they always look at that last minute and manage this time to see me.

MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE PERSON IN THE CAR! If you can't seem to do this, they don't see you. This is what I learned from my 40+ years of riding. If my back wasn't all messed up, I'd still BE riding too. I can't deal with a trike or a sidecar, that's driving IMO. If it doesn't lean into a turn, it isn't riding. :)

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Long time rider of less than loud bikes here. Those terribly annoying flashy head and tail lights will get you noticed way way before you impose yourself on my ears. Just sayin...

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    A lot of good points here and some not so good points. Personally as someone who can't stand loud noises e.g., cackling pipes on bikes, or trucks, fart can mufflers, dogs barking for hours, gas powered lawnmowers and weedeaters, bass that shakes my walls from blocks away, cars with rusted, loud mufflers, etc. I still voted, I don't like them but who cares.
    I can't count how many times I'm hearing the things I mentioned above from blocks away as well, at night, at day, when I'm awake and when I'm asleep. On the other side; there are some responsibility issues at hand with most of these, and then at least common courtesy.

As others had mentioned up thread with the pipes, the stock ones are not excessively loud, then some of the people with straight pipes don't cackle them excessively, plus there are other ways of keeping them acceptable. The same thing with diesel trucks, there are ways of keeping it acceptable. The same goes with stereos in cars, with sound proofing(adequate) the bass should be no more of a disturbance than a diesel truck at most, assuming responsibility of the driver. BTW most of the people who invest the money in these systems generally have no sound proofing in their vehicles, and then turn it up way too loud. The rice burner crowd, a lot of them do not do everything needed to quiet their coffee can, i.e., upgrading their full muffler too, not just the exhaust tip, and then another large majority buy the cheap ass ones and throw them on crappy cars. I have seen and been around many in the tuner scene who do have coffee can sized mufflers, but when properly done, and the driver is responsible it is not excessive.
    I don't like gas lawnmowers or weed eaters, so I don't use them. I don't like shaking peoples houses with bass, so I invested in a sound system that is not obnoxious and gives me the bass I like, without pissing others off. I don't like fart can mufflers tips, and have no need for one so I don't buy one.

It's all about responsibility, being courteous, and trying not to be a hypocrite as much as possible, and laws cannot change that.

Lastly, it's only fair IMO, if there is a noise ordinance against loud stereos, then there should be one against d-bags cackling their pipes on their bikes or trucks, if your muffler is so crappy it sounds like biker cackling his pipes during normal driving, if your dog barks while it's outside for more than 20-30 mins., people who mow their yard everyday at 8 a.m., and so on. However, again laws CANNOT change/fix responsibility and common courtesy, and the last thing this country needs is more laws.

Fester

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Greenfield
    I have fairly loud pipes and love them. My neighbor has played loud enough music I can hear it in my dining room, so he can suck on my loud pipes. Been listening to his music daily, not nearly as long as I've had my pipes.
    When I start my bike, I don't rev the engine, just let it idle and leave the neighborhood as slow and quiet as I can.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have fairly loud pipes and love them. My neighbor has played loud enough music I can hear it in my dining room, so he can suck on my loud pipes. Been listening to his music daily, not nearly as long as I've had my pipes.
    When I start my bike, I don't rev the engine, just let it idle and leave the neighborhood as slow and quiet as I can.

Perhaps your neighbor plays his music so loud to get back at you for the noise you throw his way? And what of the neighbors on the other side of each of you?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1861navy hit it yet again: it is all about being courteous.

I actually have several "riders" in my little neighborhood. All have aftermarket pipes. The neighbor on one side - you can hardly hear. He has a NICE older Harley. Way before fuel injection and all that. They other two guys: not so much. Newer bikes they have INTENTIONALLY made to be super loud, and they INSIST on full-throttle blasts down the 100 or so yards of street we have. Heck one goes PASSED his house to the cul-de-sac, and then BACK, just to blast his pipes.

Remember what I said about loud pipes being good indicators? Well, the quieter of the 3 is a GREAT guy. The other two are as obnoxious and rude OFF their bikes as on.

Of course, by some suggestions, I should yank the mufflers off my old Jeep CJ and let it high-idle in the driveway at 5AM, just because I can. Gotta annoy the other annoying neighbors, and to Hell with the nice ones.

One of the things I LOVE about this forum: even though we are all gun-nuts (of some fashion), we certainly have different opinions otherwise.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think I want to buy another motorcycle now. This thread has made me realize how much I miss riding. And to be honest, if I ever was lucky enough to buy another bike, I think I would leave the factory pipes on.

Maybe....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .....If my back wasn't all messed up, I'd still BE riding too. I can't deal with a trike or a sidecar, that's driving IMO. If it doesn't lean into a turn, it isn't riding. :)

Seriously, see if you can try one of these....... they seem to be selling like hotcakes.
    Can-Am Spyder

You're out there in the wind and you don't need to be able to hold it up.

2008-brp-can-am-spyder-roadster-photo-250407-s-1280x782.jpg

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Seriously, see if you can try one of these....... they seem to be selling like hotcakes.
    Can-Am Spyder

While they can look neat, I have heard they are way underpowered for their size and again it does not LEAN into the corners. It's basically a snowmobile with tires or a reverse trike. But honestly if I ever couldnt hold up 2-wheels, I would give in and get a trike or a CanAm just to get in the wind....Less than 4 wheels is a bike (basically) and I try to not hate on ANYTHING that is a bike.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Can-Am Spyder

They are wicked fast!! And with a few minor changes, , , can be loud as hell!:rockwoot:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    While they can look neat, I have heard they are way underpowered for their size and again it does not LEAN into the corners. It's basically a snowmobile with tires or a reverse trike. But honestly if I ever couldnt hold up 2-wheels, I would give in and get a trike or a CanAm just to get in the wind....Less than 4 wheels is a bike (basically) and I try to not hate on ANYTHING that is a bike.

Brudeli Tech AS

DPP07D80602163433.jpg

Top Bottom