Lots of folks carry a pistol but…do you train with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The right Locktite can keep a dovetailed front sight in place.

Right, I was just pointing out that it’s not an actual fastener. For what it’s worth, my sight that came loose was loctited in. I think the sight post base was too small for the slide’s dovetail.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Right, I was just pointing out that it’s not an actual fastener. For what it’s worth, my sight that came loose was loctited in. I think the sight post base was too small for the slide’s dovetail.
    Time to put dimples in the bottom of the dovetail or on the bottom of the front sight (or both) and then use something more potent than the blue Locktite.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I think most handgun owners never shoot their guns and the few that do only put a couple of rounds down range to see if it works. Same goes for those who carry. I think that handgun marksmanship has been replaced with shooting a lot of rounds in quick succession. I'm lucky. The indoor range I frequent has pre-set programs and one can program anything that he/ she wants to, as well. The range extends to 25 yards, but most shooters don't take advantage of that distance ever. I shoot weekly and try to push myself. The only drawback at that range is that I can't train from the holster. Of course, I can do that training, to a degree, with an empty gun in the basement. I do get to shoot a few courses outdoors with time limits, from the holster, a few times a year.
    You must go to American Shooters in Clarksville?

Btw, it’s “ladies night”! $13 and free gun rental (required to purchase their ammo).

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Time to put dimples in the bottom of the dovetail or on the bottom of the front sight (or both) and then use something more potent than the blue Locktite.

I sent it in to LTT for a new front sight, so hopefully that takes care of it. If not, back she goes. I need to get my RDO mounted to it so it’s less of an issue going forward lol.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Imagine: RDO is now backup for iron sights! Lol

You know, I’ve read from a lot of instructors that they’ve seen countless failures from iron sights, more so than even modern red dots and while I didn’t necessarily doubt them, I always wondered how that could be. Now I know! :abused:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I sent it in to LTT for a new front sight, so hopefully that takes care of it. If not, back she goes. I need to get my RDO mounted to it so it’s less of an issue going forward lol.
    Disheartening. I thought I wanted an LTT Beretta something in the near future….. may have to wait for your report after it’s returned!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’ve got it back already and the new front sight seems solid, but I’ve not had a chance to shoot it since it returned.

I was very surprised when it happened, honestly. But outside of that, it’s been a phenomenal pistol in every other way. It’s incredibly smooth, the trigger is mind blowing, it’s very accurate, etc. Frankly, the only other Beretta 92s besides an LTT that I have any interest in owning anymore would be some of the rarer items just for collection value, the original Elite and Elite II, or a Wilson.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’ve got it back already and the new front sight seems solid, but I’ve not had a chance to shoot it since it returned.

I was very surprised when it happened, honestly. But outside of that, it’s been a phenomenal pistol in every other way. It’s incredibly smooth, the trigger is mind blowing, it’s very accurate, etc. Frankly, the only other Beretta 92s besides an LTT that I have any interest in owning anymore would be some of the rarer items just for collection value, the original Elite and Elite II, or a Wilson.
    I was in the Corps LOOOOOONG before the M9 came on the scene. Of course, at that point in my life I was pretty opinionated about the inadequacy of the puny 9mm. I’ve learned some stuff since then though and, I’m my defense, in 1985 I was only 29 years old! Lol.
    I did buy a Taurus PT99 and loved it but thought I needed something else so I traded it off. I’ve got Girsan Regard Sport G4 right now and that thing is awesome. I’ve put some LTT springs in it and, it’s a great pistol and platform. What is even better, I shoot it pretty well! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_9048.jpeg
      IMG_9048.jpeg
      541.3 KB · Views: 1
    • IMG_9057.jpeg
      IMG_9057.jpeg
      736.3 KB · Views: 1

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just pointing out to those who may have missed it that INGO has a whole forum on training...

Another couple observations to ponder...

Range trigger time, practice, drills on your own, etc all good to do. If you aren't shooting in a group environment, with instruction observing, you might be developing poor habits. Poor habits that could be detrimental to your achieving good gun handling, good marksmanship and or even safe habits that could be dangerous to others and yourself.

Another thing to go along with at least some organized instructive training is competitive shooting. Watching others shoot along with others watching you, under the pressure of a timer and actual scoring can be a real eye opener also. It can take you to a level of authentic confidence, actually knowing what you can do vs what you believe you can do.

:twocents:

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    For many years no. I'd shoot a few clips through it for function. It was an aluminum frame and I just worried about wearing it out. I did get 40 years out of it, but now that I've replaced it with a CZ P10c I'm back to shooting my carry all the time.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Just pointing out to those who may have missed it that INGO has a whole forum on training...

Yeah, the folks that go there are going to talk about training. Folks come here to talk about handguns. I figured I’d get more responses here to my original question. ;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You know, I’ve read from a lot of instructors that they’ve seen countless failures from iron sights, more so than even modern red dots and while I didn’t necessarily doubt them, I always wondered how that could be. Now I know! :abused:
    Meh. I never recall a front sight leaving any of the guns, of the competitors I competed against. I shot iron sights for decades. When red dots became popular, I remember a lot of lights going out.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Another couple observations to ponder...

Range trigger time, practice, drills on your own, etc all good to do. If you aren't shooting in a group environment, with instruction observing, you might be developing poor habits. Poor habits that could be detrimental to your achieving good gun handling, good marksmanship and or even safe habits that could be dangerous to others and yourself.

Another thing to go along with at least some organized instructive training is competitive shooting. Watching others shoot along with others watching you, under the pressure of a timer and actual scoring can be a real eye opener also. It can take you to a level of authentic confidence, actually knowing what you can do vs what you believe you can do.

:twocents:
    That gets a little into the whole practice vs training thing and though I didn't ask I did wonder what Skip meant by training.

I get why he would put the question here, in T&T the answer should be, duh.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    That gets a little into the whole practice vs training thing and though I didn't ask I did wonder what Skip meant by training.

I get why he would put the question here, in T&T the answer should be, duh.
    I’d be happy to hear that folks just started practicing more because of this thread. There are so many tools for us to be responsible CCW carriers that we can do a lot through reading, videos and, yes, formal training.
    You don’t have to be an SOC Operator to be an effective CCW person. Ask Eli Dickens. He just practiced with his grandpa from what I’ve heard.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Lol I am the worst offender of that, I learned to pistol shoot using the Army 1911 training video.

I swear I am the last of the one handed pistol shooters. I do pretty well with it, and it helps keep the hammer bite from the old guns I have away. I know the modern two handed grip is probably better, but I shoot worse that way, and that grip invites hammer bite on a lot of the old guns I have about.

Top Bottom