Lots of folks carry a pistol but…do you train with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Lots more to those standards than just that one thing though and…no, I’m not there yet! Lol
    In fact, if I read that right, you have to do the whole thing 8 times in a row to get a coin.

I wonder how many coins they’ve given out….
    Got a bit of range time in today, and while I want to do the modified dot torture explained in here I needed to shoot a few different pistols.
    A Point One Tactics class is coming up, and one of his standards is 5 shots in the a zone, from 15 yards, in 2.6 seconds.
    That’s crazy. There’s no way I’ll be able to make that. Usually when I have a class coming up I practice to their standards and can get close. Maybe earn the pin or whatever, or maybe not, but get close.
    There’s no way I see that’s possible for me. I know I’m rusty over the winter.
    Take one factor away or relax it I can do it, but 5 in 2.6 at 15 yards?

Curious as to if some of you here can do that?

Also, read in a different thread someone talking about going back to the foundations every once in a while, and I thought, “well nobody is going to mess with my grip, I like it”.

View attachment 268745

I obviously need to go back to grip school.
    Most of the class standards out there right now from the cutting edge guys are very difficult. It is a small number of people who can shoot them to the high level. Things like that one, Jedis Black Belt standards, Gabe Whites Turbo Pin, we are talking the upper echelons of performance.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Most of the class standards out there right now from the cutting edge guys are very difficult. It is a small number of people who can shoot them to the high level. Things like that one, Jedis Black Belt standards, Gabe Whites Turbo Pin, we are talking the upper echelons of performance.
    I earned a dark pin from Gabe White last year but was at least close to a light pin.
    I agree that turbo pin is way up there for me.

It’s kind of nice having different levels to measure yourself by, but there’s also the “if you’re not first you’re last” mentality as well.
    Not going to class to get awards, but it’s a fun little part of it.
    I’m counting on Donovan to magically turn me into that elite guy, that’s what I’m paying him for, right?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Lots more to those standards than just that one thing though and…no, I’m not there yet! Lol
    In fact, if I read that right, you have to do the whole thing 8 times in a row to get a coin.

I wonder how many coins they’ve given out….
    I have a hard time understanding the procedure he outlines, 8 times, 38 rounds,
    6/8 must be clean and one passing is confusing. I’m sure it will make sense once he explains it.
    I don’t think I need to worry about it to much, haha. But I’ll try.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It's not the grip, my good man. It's trigger control.
    I’m sure you’re right, I also see the two so intertwined.
    Started out shooting a few different da/sa CZ’s, all about 6lb double and 3 1/2 single, the only reason there’s a big hole in the center is because I brought out the P320’s and while not good, did better with the consistent trigger.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I’m sure you’re right, I also see the two so intertwined.
    Started out shooting a few different da/sa CZ’s, all about 6lb double and 3 1/2 single, the only reason there’s a big hole in the center is because I brought out the P320’s and while not good, did better with the consistent trigger.
    I very well might not be up to date with current training, but I was taught that I would have to shoot with whatever grip I had right out of the holster. Mechanically, a pistol with a consistent trigger pull that is smooth and not overly heavy aids a lot in good shooting. Being able to manipulate that trigger without disturbing the pistol, in a certain time limit requires a lot of effort. Yeah, it's usually "the loose nut behind the trigger" that causes all the misses.

Top Bottom