Lots of folks carry a pistol but…do you train with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Beats me Indy Arms range lets you enter a distance on a screen to send your target down range with their system.
    You hit SEL on the screen, enter a #, ((I chose 25) and then hit ENTER I guess and away it go’s.
    To get the target back, you do the same steps, entering (0).
    I am sure we have some INDY ARMS members who know for sure.
    I like the M-F 10 am to 2 PM 1 hour $10 lunch special.
    I just started going there in Feb, after using Parabellum in Avon, that had the $8 for 30 minutes and one free target 12-2 M-F lunchtime special.
    Anyway just retired 1 March, so I would go as much as possible, but ammo prices and a range practice session is about $40 a pop.
    It is feet at Indy Arms.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I don't need to train. The sound of me racking a round into the bullet tube after I pull it out of my back pocket will scare anyone off that wishes to do me harm.
    No disrespect intended but sadly by the time you rack that slide you've been shot 5 or more times by the armed perp.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think most handgun owners never shoot their guns and the few that do only put a couple of rounds down range to see if it works. Same goes for those who carry. I think that handgun marksmanship has been replaced with shooting a lot of rounds in quick succession. I'm lucky. The indoor range I frequent has pre-set programs and one can program anything that he/ she wants to, as well. The range extends to 25 yards, but most shooters don't take advantage of that distance ever. I shoot weekly and try to push myself. The only drawback at that range is that I can't train from the holster. Of course, I can do that training, to a degree, with an empty gun in the basement. I do get to shoot a few courses outdoors with time limits, from the holster, a few times a year.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    no - the overwhelming majority have not / do not train.
    There's plenty of "I was in the Army" or "I grew up shooting" or "My grandad was in the Army / Was a cop" - as if knowledge of how to A) shoot B ) Run a gun (any gun) is somehow bestowed upon someone osmotically.

That said - I do have several training classes under my belt, but it's been too long since my last one. I HOPE to get to a few this year. John Hearne is coming to Riley in July - I need to look into that one.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    no - the overwhelming majority have not / do not train.
    There's plenty of "I was in the Army" or ….
    It’s like: As an American, I have the 2A so…sure, I know how to shoot. Lol
    As a Marine, raised by my GYSGT Dad, I went through boot camp and the rifle range at home! I had to learn that marksmanship is not the same as tactical shooting. Without good marksmanship skills you’ll never be a good tactical shooter either.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think it was the Feb USPSA march at Parabellum where my front sight decided it was taking a trip and departed my Beretta slide mid-stage. I decided to run my G48, which is my primary carry, in place of my Beretta. I scored fairly well for it being almost stock and making the change on short notice. I guess my dry fire routine paid off a bit, so yes, I train with what I carry. :)
    Glocks are the absolute worst for front sights departing the slide mid-stage. It happened to me THREE TIMES in USPSA stages, two of them classifiers, before I got tired of finishing stages point-shooting, wised up and put blue thread-locker on the thread that holds the front sight on. Problem solved. Make sure you do this, or I assure you, Mayhem will get you before this summer is over. Not if but when. If it's one of the Dawson jobbies you paid good money for, it's going to make you mad.

Cool story, the last time it happened to me, the squad was on hands and knees in the gravel, helping me search for my front sight so I could finish the match. The master-class Production shooter on the squad piped up and asked me, "Was the slide moving rearwards or forwards when the sight came off?" Of course, I had no idea. There was a moment of realization while everyone silently thought, "Observing details like that is why you're Master class and the rest of us aren't." Then sure enough, one guy departed the front of the classifier box and started looking _behind_ it, and found the sight straight away.

So the adjusted advice is...if you don't threadlock your Glock sight...make sure you're watching your front sight reallllly good.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Glocks are the absolute worst for front sights departing the slide mid-stage. It happened to me THREE TIMES in USPSA stages, two of them classifiers, before I got tired of finishing stages point-shooting, wised up and put blue thread-locker on the thread that holds the front sight on. Problem solved. Make sure you do this, or I assure you, Mayhem will get you before this summer is over. Not if but when. If it's one of the Dawson jobbies you paid good money for, it's going to make you mad.

Cool story, the last time it happened to me, the squad was on hands and knees in the gravel, helping me search for my front sight so I could finish the match. The master-class Production shooter on the squad piped up and asked me, "Was the slide moving rearwards or forwards when the sight came off?" Of course, I had no idea. There was a moment of realization while everyone silently thought, "Observing details like that is why you're Master class and the rest of us aren't." Then sure enough, one guy departed the front of the classifier box and started looking _behind_ it, and found the sight straight away.

So the adjusted advice is...if you don't threadlock your Glock sight...make sure you're watching your front sight reallllly good.
    Never had a factory sight depart though. Only ones that have been installed aftermarket. In lieu of threadlocker or LokTite (blue or purple) I have used clear fingernail polish too. I use it a lot when I attach hardware to the holsters I build. It just has to keep the #8-32 screws from backing out.
    I have a friend that has a YouTube channel, hrfunk, and he was shooting LEO qualifications for all 50 states. When he got to Indiana, he used a Glock 23 from his department’s armory (he hates Glocks) and, sure enough, about halfway through the qualification, the front sight took off like a helicopter.
    A precious armorer had not used something to lock the threads on it at some point. He hated on Glock but it wasn’t their fault.
    One of the things I’ve learned about Glocks though, almost EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING about shooting well, replaces the sights on theirs.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

All sage advice, but the sight that took a hike was off a Beretta 92G from Langdon with their RDO package lol. It’s dovetailed in, so no nut to locktite. So far, I’ve never had a Glock sight fail me, but I probably just don’t shoot enough! :abused:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    All sage advice, but the sight that took a hike was off a Beretta 92G from Langdon with their RDO package lol. It’s dovetailed in, so no nut to locktite. So far, I’ve never had a Glock sight fail me, but I probably just don’t shoot enough! :abused:

I had one become loose on a Girsan Regard Gen4 Sport too. I took it all the way out, took a center punch and put rows of peens in it and reinstalled with LokTite. It's still there today.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I misread your post as meaning you were ditching the Beretta and using the 48, permanently. My bad. However, I will also relate, that after having this epiphany on my competition Glock, did the same to my two defensive ones. If you're carrying the 48...word to the wise!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The right Locktite can keep a dovetailed front sight in place.

Top Bottom