• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've been considering getting a muzzleloader for a few years but haven't yet because I really only want it for deer season and if I don't get a deer during early archery or shotgun season, I usually just bowhunt the rest of the year. I really like Thompson/Center Firearms and have considered the Encore, Triumph, and the Omega. Does anyone have any insight or tips on this or any other suggestions on muzzleloaders that aren't T/C? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    CVA Optima. I bought on last year after shotgun season and took my doe with it. I am very happy with it. It breaks open like a single shot and has a very large removable breech plug. Very easy to use and very comfortable to me. Since you live close Greenfield walmart has both the Optima and the Omega and a few others in stock as of last night might want to stop by there and compare to see what one you like. Good luck it to me 3 years to finally buy one for myself and I am glad I did.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    stick with T/C
    250 gr sabot
    2 50 gr pellets
    with right optics 200yd shots.
    i have a 3/4" group @ 150 yds

the gr bullet is somthing you will have to play with. my prohunter and indygunworks omega have basically the same barrel. i shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yds with 250 gr bullets. i also shoot a .5ish group with 300 gr bullets. his was the exact oposite

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Omega

here is why

gun
    omega.jpg

100 yards
    omega3shot.jpg

200 yards
    200yardomega.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been hearing and reading a lot about the new CVA "Electra" (?)

A "BATTERY OPERATED" muzzle loader.

Actually it is a battery-fired rifle. Uses a 9volt battery INSTEAD of a primer!

They advertise hundreds of shots from a single 9volt.

I like the concept. No primer to install on a nipple, or in a chamber, no moisture worries, at least as far as the primer is concerned.

I have not seen one up close, but I'd really like to try one out. Just can't justify buying ANOTHER smoke-pole right now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've been hearing and reading a lot about the new CVA "Electra" (?)

A "BATTERY OPERATED" muzzle loader.

Actually it is a battery-fired rifle. Uses a 9volt battery INSTEAD of a primer!

They advertise hundreds of shots from a single 9volt.

I like the concept. No primer to install on a nipple, or in a chamber, no moisture worries, at least as far as the primer is concerned.

I have not seen one up close, but I'd really like to try one out. Just can't justify buying ANOTHER smoke-pole right now.

id like to see a review on one. i know i would sit in a tree thinking "i bet this battery is dead.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been considering getting a muzzleloader for a few years but haven't yet because I really only want it for deer season and if I don't get a deer during early archery or shotgun season, I usually just bowhunt the rest of the year. I really like Thompson/Center Firearms and have considered the Encore, Triumph, and the Omega. Does anyone have any insight or tips on this or any other suggestions on muzzleloaders that aren't T/C? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like all your really want to use it for is late muzzle loader deer season. If this is correct you'll only be using it for maybe 2 weeks to hunt with and you'll be looking at it the other 50 weeks a year.

Thomson Center Hawken rifle and used ones are darn near dirt cheap lately.

17547Copy_of_10_pointer.jpg

Cheap to shoot, hits a deer like a hammer to the head. Mine is a 45 and I'm finding I can shoot the same 45 cal Maxi-ball bullets in my Ruger cap and ball revolver and they are giving the best groups in the revolver and the rifle. Same powder, same caps, same bullets, two guns.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Aug 4, 2009
    I had a bunch of Encore stuff already so I went that route - if I hadn't I would take a good look at the Savage.

sp3worker

Expert
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just picked up a TC Triumph in .50 cal, all camo. Put a Nikon 2-7 on it. Great shooter, around 1"-1 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100yds with 2 Triple 7 pellets and 250gr TC Shockwaves. I got mine at Dicks for $399.

Had one of the Savage ML10II's and I hated it. It wouldn't group consistantly with either smokeless powder or Triple 7 pellets, tried various bullet weights and charges.

I just bought one of the Hawken rifles from another INGO'er. Looking forward to trying it out this season. Not really sure what loads to use for it though.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I know a guy who had one of the battery ignited muzzloaders and he said it was pretty picky.... told me not to waste my time.... i dont have hands on experience though so i will just pass on what he told me.

Top Bottom