• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Looking for a good machine shop. I live in Bloomington. I am starting a project that I have always wanted to do, engine rebuild. Not going to get crazy, just add a bit of hp.

Thx.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't know about Bloomington but I've used Quinlan's on the south side of Indy several. times with good results although my last project seemed to take longer to get my stuff back from them than usual

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Looking for a good machine shop. I live in Bloomington. I am starting a project that I have always wanted to do, engine rebuild. Not going to get crazy, just add a bit of hp.

Thx.

Give Tempest machine in North Vernon a call. I don't know for sure if they are up what you want. I know they can do about anything. Good honest folk.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There’s a great machine shop in Cicero. They rebuilt my 365 hp 327 ci Corvette motor. Had to sleeve the #7 cylinder. Did a great job !

They also rebuilt the motor for my friend’s $300,000 Boss 429 Mustang ! I knew if he trusted them I could to.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Years ago there was Motsingers and Jimmy's Motor Block on the south side. I expect the proprietors of both establishments have long since shuffled off this mortal coil. Long time since I slung auto parts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well just because we all have our preferred shops, BES - located in St. Leon right off I74. Tony Bischoff does amazing work and I highly recommend them. The downside is you will pay for his knowledge but you won't be disappointed.

Also Steve Schmidt on Indy's east side. With his shop you have the choice of his racing engine shop or his regular engine shop. I have had much work done by both and have mostly been happy

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Years ago there was Motsingers and Jimmy's Motor Block on the south side. I expect the proprietors of both establishments have long since shuffled off this mortal coil. Long time since I slung auto parts.

In the mid 1990's I used a place called Jimmy's Motor Block on the recommendation of a friend who used them for many years at the time.

They're still shown as being a little east of Plainfield near HWY 40 + Ronald Reagan Parkway.

They built up a 1967 396 Chevy Big Block for me and did a great job.

Jimmy's Motor Block Services - Auto Machine Shop
    10555 County Rd 251 S
    Indianapolis, IN 46231
    (317) 839-3791

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    In the mid 1990's I used a place called Jimmy's Motor Block on the recommendation of a friend who used them for many years at the time.

They're still shown as being a little east of Plainfield near HWY 40 + Ronald Reagan Parkway.

10555 County Rd 251 S
    Indianapolis, IN 46231
    (317) 839-3791

If you go here ask 'em if Mr Jimmy is still kickin. Can't think of his daughters name. She used to run parts for him. Janice, maybe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

10555 County Rd 251 S
    Indianapolis, IN 46231
    (317) 839-3791

Jim Echneres shop. It is long gone to my knowledge at least for the echneres running it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well just because we all have our preferred shops, BES - located in St. Leon right off I74. Tony Bischoff does amazing work and I highly recommend them. The downside is you will pay for his knowledge but you won't be disappointed.

Also Steve Schmidt on Indy's east side. With his shop you have the choice of his racing engine shop or his regular engine shop. I have had much work done by both and have mostly been happy

Good recommendations here.
    Is Tony Bischoff the big fella that used to be at D&B Machine on Brill rd?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear that.
    I was happy with the work they did for me.

My mistake.
    I just thought they were still there as Google Maps shows it as still being there.

I know the old man passed some years back and his son was running it for a while. He may well still be. This was a topic of discussion not long ago and I was told the boy was no longer involved but that was 2nd hand so.....:dunno:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good recommendations here.
    Is Tony Bischoff the big fella that used to be at D&B Machine on Brill rd?

So far as I have ever known, Tony has always been tall & lean and I have no idea where he may have worked before opening his shop.
    Not bashing Steve at all. But I prefer Tony in part because he has much more experience with engines running power adders and tuning them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So far as I have ever known, Tony has always been tall & lean and I have no idea where he may have worked before opening his shop.
    Not bashing Steve at all. But I prefer Tony in part because he has much more experience with engines running power adders and tuning them.

Thanks. I wish I could find Tony that was at D&B. I loved his work on lower ends

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know the old man passed some years back and his son was running it for a while. He may well still be. This was a topic of discussion not long ago and I was told the boy was no longer involved but that was 2nd hand so.....:dunno:

When I used them, it was a younger guy, an older guy that if memory serves he referred to as "Jim Senior" and his mother.

I still have the engine they built in a 67 Chevy Impala.
    Haven't run it in a few years and need to get it down here so I can drive it.
    Just don't have the garage space to put it.

Top Bottom