• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    oG20PJp.jpg

25 yards, 5 shots. gun not even broken in (less than 100 rounds through it).
    Needs to do it at 50 after 300 rounds and if so, might keep it.
    Scope no longer own.
    Not a fan of the new Leupold crap Freedom series.
    They look horrible.
    Old EFR are silly priced. Proly get a reg and send in for parallax change.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    25 yards, 5 shots. gun not even broken in (less than 100 rounds through it).
    Needs to do it at 50 after 300 rounds and if so, might keep it.
    Scope no longer own.
    Not a fan of the new Leupold crap Freedom series.
    They look horrible.
    Old EFR are silly priced. Proly get a reg and send in for parallax change.

Nice group! The SK shoots very well in my CZ too. Yeah I like the look of the older Leupold rimfire scopes over the new Freedom series.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 10/22 w GM bbl shot like that at 50 yards (five into .4 c2c).
    Sub .5 at 50 is my goal w any .22 rf.
    I have the CZ, sold the target 10/22...........and still have the beater fingergroove.
    Have yet to decide if GM bbl or CPC rework on the old 10/22.
    The CZ isn't broken in and may be the best one (I have a Contender frame that will proly be built into a match .22).
    So.............that would give me three .22 rf rifles.
    Had a TC set up that way before, w synth stock and cheek riser. Liked it.
    The 10/22 feels way better than the CZ.
    I've got a screwed up arm right now (tendon) so nothing feels right.
    Am not going to do the shakedown shootout until I heal up.

Pretty much a fan of synth, for durability/consistency.
    And what do I do?
    Bought that beater 10/22, a Browning Auto 5 in 20 ga and a Remington 14.
    SMDH

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went over to Marion County Fish & game with a member to do some rifle work.
    He had me try out some different rifles to see what worked for me.
    Did some tweaking, moving the scope on my 10/22 forward and leveling it up, since I had it "tilted" to keep from having to "crane" my neck so much.
    Adjusted the end of the stock up closer to the scope on the two Ruger RPRs I have (one is to sell b/c I bought another upgraded a little).
    With my eyes, I probably needed not to have bothered. :ugh:
    Discovered it is helpful to have a shorter stock for my neck to be straighter.
    Discovered I needed a thinner comb so as to keep my neck/head straighter, but the ones on the RPRs are rather thick.
    The comb can't be too high either, or I can't line up my eye to the scope at all b/c my neck just won't flex enough.
    As I suspected I need a decent drop on the stock, instead of a straight line so as not to raise the scope so high.

EDIT: Shooting at only 25 yds., not 50 yds.
    I shot his Ruger American on the upper right & my 3 rifles one the upper left and the bottom, not remembering what I used on the middle target: another one of his, I think.
    He also had a CZ, KSA, a youth rifle, & a couple of other rifles, I think, that I tried, but nothing worked miracles.
    Some of the tips/edges of the targets were done with other guns & not the one I used for the center of each target.

I put a "+" at the POA, whether on a "tip" or in the center of a target.
    I just couldn't believe some of the flyers.
    I would shoot a "bullseye" (or close to it) then the next shot would be an inch away. :wallbash:
    I didn't do as poorly as I thought I might: that will probably be reserved for 100 yds. :laugh:
    NOTE: the above statement was made thinking I was shooting 50 yds., not merely 25 yds. :ugh:
    Target labeled wrong: 25 yds. not 50 yds.
    Y8SbL2z.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Between the ammo/rifle combination and the shooter, it is easy to throw a flier an inch out.

Find the best ammo for a given rifle and then practice, practice, practice. Same pressure (or lack thereof) holding the rifle, same steady trigger squeeze, etc.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Discovered it is helpful to have a shorter stock for my neck to be straighter.
    Discovered I needed a thinner comb so as to keep my neck/head straighter, but the ones on the RPRs are rather thick.
    The comb can't be too high either, or I can't line up my eye to the scope at all b/c my neck just won't flex enough.

I've had extensive neck, mixed with back issues. I go to this gentleman every two weeks or I would have problems standing upright. They tell me I have the spine of a man in his mid 70's. Shame I'm only 56. But anyway, stay limber as long as possible. It will really help with the rifle shooting and just life in general.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Between the ammo/rifle combination and the shooter, it is easy to throw a flier an inch out.
    Find the best ammo for a given rifle and then practice, practice, practice. Same pressure (or lack thereof) holding the rifle, same steady trigger squeeze, etc.

Hey gmcttr!
    That's what I was told: nature of the beast. :crying:
    I still have to grit my teeth & cry out in protest when it happens though. :wallbash:
    I'm still not going to buy the $2000+ .22LR that minimizes such things, or special ammo (stick to my CCI SV mostly), although I have some decent stuff I picked up used that I'm saving to bring out the best at 100 yds. :dunno:
    I like buying Aeroflyer's rejects (or one of his wife's ) when he moves up the ladder, so maybe in the future. :lmfao:
    I did look and lust after a $1000 Volquartsen gun last evening, but since I'm not shooting competition I have noone to showoff for or prove myself to, even myself.

I have been tempted to spend a little more to get a CZ with a good scope, but I don't know if that would really do much.
    I shot 1 or 2 CZ rifles at the range Friday, not even realizing what they were, and the shot placement didn't improve for me.

It was pointed out to me Friday that I was holding my finger wrong by not placing the proper part of my finger on the trigger which would cause variance in shot placement: the kind of detail that I'd never realize w/o it being pointed out by someone who actually knew how to shoot (which is certainly not me) :laugh:.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had extensive neck, mixed with back issues. I go to this gentleman every two weeks or I would have problems standing upright. They tell me I have the spine of a man in his mid 70's. Shame I'm only 56. But anyway, stay limber as long as possible. It will really help with the rifle shooting and just life in general.

Others noticed I started "hunching" over a few years ago and I fight it.
    I know stretching is more important at this point than trying to recapture strength that I'll never have again.
    I'm planning on going to a Silversneakers class for old people this am to check it out at Get Fit.
    I got a membership there so I could swim to help keep limber which is humbling b/c I can barely do any laps anymore & I used to swim 100 or 200 yds. after working out for an hour.
    The class lasts for an hour and I know I can't stand for more than a few minutes w/o my back getting tight & hurting and I have to sit down and stretch it out.
    I hope there is some stretching floor work involved or it's going to be embarrassing! :laugh:

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... [FONT=&amp]https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks/at-one-ruger-10-22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22?ProductColor=VO343

What it seems you need is a ton of comb adjustment to allow your head to engage the stock without aggravating your neck. This may be the limiting factor in whatever stock you settle into.

Keep after it and you will eventually find the perfect combination. Then all the searching and experimenting will provide you with a smile each time you pull the trigger.
    [/FONT]

TJ - do you know of a 10/22 M4 style stock that would have a higher or adjustable comb? I'm zeroing in on my AR set up by adding the LaRue RISR (trial run with pipe insulation first). Now that I'm happier with my AR, I am realizing the limitations of my 15-22. Might consider a 10/22 but don't like the grip on the standard style stocks. I have similar issues with neck arthritis. Just starting research on the 10/22. There's so many options it's overwhelming!!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    TJ - do you know of a 10/22 M4 style stock that would have a higher or adjustable comb? I'm zeroing in on my AR set up by adding the LaRue RISR (trial run with pipe insulation first). Now that I'm happier with my AR, I am realizing the limitations of my 15-22. Might consider a 10/22 but don't like the grip on the standard style stocks. I have similar issues with neck arthritis. Just starting research on the 10/22. There's so many options it's overwhelming!!

What are your wants/goals from it? What is your budget?

The 10/22 world is massive, but there may be some other options that would work better for what you want.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Kackowski View Post
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunst...22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...uctColor=VO343

What it seems you need is a ton of comb adjustment to allow your head to engage the stock without aggravating your neck. This may be the limiting factor in whatever stock you settle into.
    Keep after it and you will eventually find the perfect combination. Then all the searching and experimenting will provide you with a smile each time you pull the trigger.

Never occured to me to reinvent the wheel with the 10/22, especially if it goes to a much higher price point.
    At this point I have no preference of semi-auto over bolt except that I read where the bolt action is a tad more accurate inherently, not that my eyes could take advantage of it.
    I have seen Boyd stocks twice now that I would have bought.
    A member put me on to one, but I don't think it came with the rail, cantilever rings I need, plus a decent scope so I didn't go there.
    Since then I've seen others, but wasn't ready to put out too much.
    I got my 10/22 for $350 and spent another $100 getting a higher rail and higher rings for it = $450 total.
    The RPR I picked up for $500 with proper rings for height & since the stock is adjustable, that model helps.
    I will look at your links to see what advantages they hold.
    Thanks!

Last edited:

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Kackowski View Post
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunst...22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...uctColor=VO343

Never occured to me to reinvent the wheel with the 10/22, especially if it goes to a much higher price point.
    At this point I have no preference of semi-auto over bolt except that I read where the bolt action is a tad more accurate inherently, not that my eyes could take advantage of it.
    I have seen Boyd stocks twice now that I would have bought.
    A member put me on to one, but I don't think it came with the rail, cantilever rings I need, plus a decent scope so I didn't go there.
    Since then I've seen others, but wasn't ready to put out too much.
    I got my 10/22 for $350 and spent another $100 getting a higher rail and higher rings for it = $450 total.
    The RPR I picked up for $450 with proper rings for height & since the stock is adjustable, that model helps.
    I will look at your links to see what advantages they hold.
    Thanks!

I handled the Boyd AT-ONE stock at the NRA show this year. It looks gorgeous.. But I wasn't impressed with the steadiness of the comb and length of pull adjustment. Both seems flimsy and wiggly to me. A buddy of mine had the ArchAngel stock with adjustable comb and pull....very nice. I bought an ArchAngel stock and really like it. Not as pretty as a Boyd, but it is rock solid, and still looks good.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I handled the Boyd AT-ONE stock at the NRA show this year. It looks gorgeous.. But I wasn't impressed with the steadiness of the comb and length of pull adjustment. Both seems flimsy and wiggly to me. A buddy of mine had the ArchAngel stock with adjustable comb and pull....very nice. I bought an ArchAngel stock and really like it. Not as pretty as a Boyd, but it is rock solid, and still looks good.

I'll look up the ArchAngel.
    Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:
    One of the links I tried that you showed me didn't load properly.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I'll look up the ArchAngel.
    Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:
    One of the links I tried that you showed me didn't load properly.

I didn't provide any links above. I only copied/pasted what others provided.

Here is a link for the ArchAngel stock. I shopped around I paid right at about $110 with shipping. They also make a rubber pad that self-adhesive glues onto the top of the comb. I highly recommend it. You can also buy the pre-cut self-adhesive sandpaper grip tape. My buddy has those - very nice - but not really needed for 10/22 bench rest shooting in my opinion.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://promagindustries.com/archangel-ruger-10-22-precision-stock-black-polymer/

[/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very discouraged after my rifle range session yesterday.
    Last Friday I had a chance to get some great input for 2.5 hours with a member here and learned to do some adjustments to the scope & its placement on my 10/22 for proper eye relief and on the RPR, shortening the stock and trying to adjust the comb, but too thick.
    However, it was not enough to deal with my neck strain.

Yesterday, I took only one RPR to the range.
    It did not go well, with my neck giving me great aggravation.
    Originally, I was thinking the adjustable stock/comb on the RPR was going to be the answer to my issues, but no.
    My range sessions if longer than a box of ammo, continue to be painful & lack joy, leading to frustration.
    I am in denial about my using rifles but the reality looms.

I hope to keep the 10/22 as my "token" rifle since it was my original and naturally the Ruger Mannlicher has a shorter stock and the comb isn't too thick.
    Plus, I'm having a Kidd trigger dropped in it for my pleasure.
    I wished the stock was angled down even more so I wouldn't have to bend my neck over as much to line my eye up with the scope.
    But, it is better than anything else I've found so far.
    I remember what was said last Friday that the Youth rifle fit me as well as anything else I tried (Ruger American, I think). :scratch:
    Yes, that's embarrassing. :dunno: I feel my manhood slipping away yet again. :rofl:

If I limit myself to shooting only 50 rounds instead of 150 rounds, I can tolerate that: there is only so many times I can scrunch my neck over to the right before my neck & upper back say no more.
    I thought I might also go blind yesterday b/c it seemed like it was starting to be a strain on my eyes as well. :ugh:
    I was actually angry by the time I left the range. :wallbash:

Who was it that said getting old wasn't for sissies?
    I am trying to rage against the night, but I can feel the clock ticking.
    I even joined Get Fit to swim & hopefully develop a better range of motion to fight the arthritis.
    I don't even want to talk about the old people's fitness classes (Silver Sneakers) I started going to this week. :dunno:
    That would be laughable to me, except I my body is apparently laughable now. :laugh:

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... [FONT=&amp]https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks/at-one-ruger-10-22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22?ProductColor=VO343
    [/FONT]

TJ - do you happen to have either of these? I'm working on "show and tell" opportunities for similar reasons - bad neck. I want to handle as many options as is possible to see which direction works for me before I start building/buying a decent .22. I have M&P 15-22 as "my first rifle" and am considering something different. I've never handled a laminate wood stock and am concerned about reaching the trigger with my small sized hands. Hubby's Hogue 10/22 stock hurts my wrist so that angle of grip is going to be tricky for me as well. "AR" style might be my only option between all of these fit issues but I'm open to looking at anything.

I'm already playing around with pipe insulation and tape on my AR.

Thanks!
    Becki

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    TJ - do you happen to have either of these? I'm working on "show and tell" opportunities for similar reasons - bad neck. I want to handle as many options as is possible to see which direction works for me before I start building/buying a decent .22. I have M&P 15-22 as "my first rifle" and am considering something different. I've never handled a laminate wood stock and am concerned about reaching the trigger with my small sized hands. Hubby's Hogue 10/22 stock hurts my wrist so that angle of grip is going to be tricky for me as well. "AR" style might be my only option between all of these fit issues but I'm open to looking at anything.

I'm already playing around with pipe insulation and tape on my AR.

Thanks!
    Becki
    I do not own either of these stocks. I found them while poking around on the interwebs and thought they might work for doddg since he needs an adjustable comb to get his eye in line with his scope.

Like most RR Instructors, I use pipe insulation and vet wrap to adjust comb height.

You need to get over your phobia of modifying your rifle ... especially the stock. Cut it, bend it, glue it, drill it ... do whatever it takes to make the stock fit your body. The stock has two main functions ... fit your body and hold the rifle. Look at what a trap or skeet shooter is willing to do to get their shotgun stock to fit their body the same way each and every time they mount the shotgun ... rifle shooting isn't much different ... we strive to make every motion/action in the process of firing our rifle repeatable. This all starts with the stock fitting your body.

After you've modified your stock to fit, send it to AllenM to apply a nice finish. Or just leave it a a unique piece of art.

Top Bottom