• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting information here. Higher velocity ammo outperforming standard velocity.

The other topic of interest is wondering what the differences are between one 22 RPR and the next?

If I seen it right, looks like Ggreen has a can on his RPR. Wonder how much that added to the accuracy, if any?

Many thanks for these updates gents!
    :ingo:

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The biggest variation from RPR to the next seems to be the quality of the factory barrel. Reports feel like they are getting better across the board, but I recall more than a few unhappy campers over at Rimfire Central with the groups the factory barrels produced.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Interesting information here. Higher velocity ammo outperforming standard velocity.

The other topic of interest is wondering what the differences are between one 22 RPR and the next?

If I seen it right, looks like Ggreen has a can on his RPR. Wonder how much that added to the accuracy, if any?

Many thanks for these updates gents!
    :ingo:

A bad can decreases accuracy, a good can maintains it. I have arguably the best rimfire can on the market, thunderbeast 22 takedown. It has a very slight poi shift but groups stay tight.

Generally subsonic rounds stay tighter, my ruger american target only likes standard velocity federal gold medal match. Groups open up with anything over 1050fps. This was my first time shooting the rpr and the CCI had been in my trunk for months, I was trying not to like it. Notebooks are vital to keep it all straight lol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent some time with the Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher today.
    It had been dialed in for 16.6/yds (50') and I never had to touch the adjusters.

I used 3 different kinds of ammo: CCI SV (1070 FPS) on the left (and the single one far right); CCI Blazer HV (1235) in the middle; Winchester HV (1270) on the right
    d0uNgYl.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Pretty consistent groups there with all ammo tested. I have had really good results with CCI SV in many 22s. I tried Blazer in a few pistols shooting freehanded , shoots well in my Single Six and 22/45 4", might try some in a few of my rifles. I think I have Winchester HV and will try it in my Marlin 39A as it seems to shoot HV ammo fairly well.

I used Federal Target (711B) in my scoped Smith Model 41 and fired my best 50 yard target with it yesterday. Also used SK Standard Plus in my CZ which turned in a pretty tight group.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pretty consistent groups there with all ammo tested. I have had really good results with CCI SV in many 22s. I tried Blazer in a few pistols shooting freehanded , shoots well in my Single Six and 22/45 4", might try some in a few of my rifles. I think I have Winchester HV and will try it in my Marlin 39A as it seems to shoot HV ammo fairly well.
    I used Federal Target (711B) in my scoped Smith Model 41 and fired my best 50 yard target with it yesterday. Also used SK Standard Plus in my CZ which turned in a pretty tight group.

I was surprised how well the CCI Blazer did with groups slightly tighter than the CCI SV.
    I look forward to using the CCI Blazer in the two Ruger Precision Rifles I have also.
    I will sell my original RPR since I intend to keep the one with the Green Mountain barrel & Hawke scope.
    I am enjoying having both to shoot presently, though, and am in no hurry.
    Since I've never had a scope on a rifle, I am having a blast (I CAN SEE :rockwoot:).
    CZ? You have the CZ 75 Kadet conversion kit for the CZ 75/85 allowing the firing of .22 LR caliber?
    I have fired that from a CZ and thought it did a better job than the Advantage Arms adapter for the Glock 26 I had: groups were unimpressive.
    Or, were talking about a CZ .22LR rifle (452, 455, 457)?

I only know to use the CCI SV in the Smith 41, since it was made for SV & I didn't know that and thought I was doing it a favor my using CCI HV or an other HV. :ugh:
    I have wanted to try another SV that I have to see how it does, as well.
    Not sure the brand, maybe Aguila Super Extra 22 Long Rifle Standard Velocity Ammo 40 but it has a Muzzle Velocity‎ of ‎1130 FPS, which is more than the 1070 of the CCI SV.
    Do you know whether that is acceptable or just stay away from it? Or try it? :dunno:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Or, were talking about a CZ .22LR rifle (452, 455, 457)?

Mine are the 452 rifles , one a Special later called the Trainer and an American. I was shooting the long barrel Trainer yesterday with 12X Burris.

In regards to the Smith 41 I fired more CCI SV than anything else but the target fired yesterday with Federal Target (1080 fps) was just over an inch @ 50 yds , so I am trying more of that.

As to the Aguila SE standard velocity I think I tried it in my 41 but had malfunctions , I will try it again next time to confirm . I would not worry in the least bit about it being rated 60fps faster than the CCI.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mine are the 452 rifles , one a Special later called the Trainer and an American. I was shooting the long barrel Trainer yesterday with 12X Burris.
    In regards to the Smith 41 I fired more CCI SV than anything else but the target fired yesterday with Federal Target (1080 fps) was just over an inch @ 50 yds , so I am trying more of that.
    As to the Aguila SE standard velocity I think I tried it in my 41 but had malfunctions , I will try it again next time to confirm . I would not worry in the least bit about it being rated 60fps faster than the CCI.

Heard nothing but good things about the CZ rifles.
    I am going to organize my ammo tomorrow.
    I found a case of 9mm 147 grain in my closet, so it's time, ha!
    I have so many cases of .22LR, I don't even know what I've got that I put into my closet, what I use is stored somewhere else.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven't spent too much time with the .22 rifles since I've been busy shooting .22 revolvers and selling the same (keeping the DW 8" barrel that I'm so pleased with that I bought from a member here.
    I have two Ruger Precision Rimfire rifles b/c I bought one on Armlist with a Nikon Bushmaster scope, then one became available here with a Hawke scope & a Green Mountain barrel that I wanted to try.
    I will sell the original RPR but I'm enjoying shooting both presently.
    I might keep the Nikon Bushmaster scope, switching it with the Nikon ProStaff that is on my 10/22: I think someone mentioned that the Bushmaster should be a "better" scope.

I have shot my original RPR with the Bushmaster scope on it against the RPR with the Hawke scope & Green Mountain barrel before.
    It's just too close for me to call which is more accurate, so my default position is to go with the Green Mountain barrel since others smarter than I am upgraded to that.
    It very well could be with my eyes/hands that it doesn't make any difference since I can't shoot that well to take advantage of a "superior" upgrade.
    I'm not offended at all by that. I simply enjoy trying.
    I've been told not to spend "big" money getting an upgraded rifle since it will not enhance my accuracy much, if any.
    I am putting in an upgraded trigger in the 10/22, just b/c, but when I upgraded the trigger (& a bushing) on my Shadow 2, my accuracy with it didn't improve, as I was warned, but I wanted to give it a try.

Original RPR with the Nikon Bushmaster scope on top & the RPR with the Hawke scope & Green Mountain barrel on the bottom.
    Both seem just as good, but perhaps with more time it will become clear that the Green Mountain barrel RPR is a hair better in my hands. Perhaps not in my hands.
    K2rwet6.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a 455 w humpback stock ( cool ) and it shoots OK w zero mods. But i cant seem to warm up to it. Safety goes wrong direction but is no big deal. Think just overall feel is missing....maybe wriat of stock too thick?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a 455 w humpback stock ( cool ) and it shoots OK w zero mods. But i cant seem to warm up to it. Safety goes wrong direction but is no big deal. Think just overall feel is missing....maybe wriat of stock too thick?

I tried to look a pic up, but still not sure of the "humpback" stock: curious!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The humpback is a fugly stock, European in nature and contrary to what we Americans consider useful. The butt is quite a bit lower than the comb. In reality, it allows the offhand rifleman to seat the butt into the shoulder and still have your face/head mostly upright to view sights/optics. I didn't appreciate it until I shot it. When shooting American stocks offhand, I usually have to put the buttstock toe into my shoulder, and it's a bit wonky to shoot that way.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The humpback is a fugly stock, European in nature and contrary to what we Americans consider useful. The butt is quite a bit lower than the comb. In reality, it allows the offhand rifleman to seat the butt into the shoulder and still have your face/head mostly upright to view sights/optics. I didn't appreciate it until I shot it. When shooting American stocks offhand, I usually have to put the buttstock toe into my shoulder, and it's a bit wonky to shoot that way.

Sounds useful in my situation.
    I'll google humback stock again to see to what you refer.
    Take a pic and post it: the inquiring public want to know. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Humpback seems appropriate on a CZ........

Do think European rifle shooting is in general done with head more upright, cheek not down on rhe comb as much.

They can night hunt and run larger objective scopes

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice consistent groups on all targets with the Ruger Precision Rifle! The RPR is one I may have to check out sometime.

Just look up cz455 lux
    View attachment 82018

This was the CZ 452 Lux I owned in 22 mag some years ago - quite a good shooter , should not have sold it. The stock design worked very well for shooting with the open sights.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom