• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    probably so. Any major differences in the two besides all the adjustments on stock and what not on precision rimfire? Actions and barrels comparable?
    I don't "need it back" but I've missed it a time or 2. I think my ruger precision makes it pretty redundant though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The outdoor range has really opened up the adventure with .22 rifles.
    I started out with 2 rifles: a Ruger Mannlicher 10/22 & an RPR (bolt) bought from the same m
    I borrowed a couple Savage rifles from a member & his bull barrel shot better than anything I've had so far.
    This is why I picked up a Savage at Rural King couple of weeks ago to see how it measured up, but it wasn't the bull barrel model.

I really enjoy shooting a Henry Pump bought from a member here & so far enjoy its action more than the bolt action.
    I've always wanted a CZ & ordered a 456 Trainer (bolt action) & then unexpectedly picked up a CZ 512 semi-auto from a member a couple of days ago.
    I thought that the CZs would beat my Rugers, but that hasn't happened yet.
    I ordered a rail for the 512, but have to come up with rings/scope for it to see if it can be competition for the 10/22.

Now comes the fun that I like to do: find out what shoots the best for me.
    If the Savage really ends up shooting the best with my eyes, I'll sell every other brand & become a Savage advocate. :laugh:

Today was not encouraging for the CZ 457, b/c it has not outshot the RPR the couple of time they have went head to head, which I expected.
    I haven't tried enough brands of ammo yet to find out the preferences.

The trigger on the CZ 457 Trainer was lightened up & the report is the CZ trigger is now silky smooth.
    The Savage trigger has been greatly improved as well.
    Can't wait to see if the improvement shows up on the targets.
    The CZ 512 trigger is non-adjustable.

Today's pic of the two bolt actions before any trigger work done on CZ.
    Using the CCI Blazer, the RPR had less shots outside the solid black where the X is.
    LxPdTF2.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Using the CCI Blazer, the RPR had less shots outside the solid black where the X is...

You should be judging the group size, not if they are in the black. Smaller groups win out and the sight is then adjusted, with whatever ammo you intend to use, to put them in the black.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You should be judging the group size, not if they are in the black. Smaller groups win out and the sight is then adjusted, with whatever ammo you intend to use, to put them in the black.

I even have a digital & non-digital calipers for such but was saving them for when I got my groups smaller.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried red dots on some of my rifles only to find that I prefer them on handguns.
    I bought some Hawke used scopes last night to put on the CZ 512 & 457.
    I'm leaving a red dot on the Henry Pump for now for variety (love the Pump action).
    I plan to use the red dots to replace scopes on some handguns.

It was suggested that I dial back from 100 yds. that I was fascinated with, but learning at 25 yds. would be better, but I chose 50 yds. since previously I was confined to either 17 or 25 yds.
    I took the CZ 512 & 457 and a Savage Mark 2 Model F & a friend's Savage Mark 2 bull barrel to the range today for a 6.5 hours marathon.
    I didn't take the 10/22 or RPR or my range day would have been an overnighter. :lmfao:
    The Savage bull barrel belonging to a friend had beaten all of mine at one point or another & continues to do the same.
    I had the CZ 457 trigger lightened up to 1#, as well as the Savage F model, in hopes that it would tighten up my groups.
    Strangely enough, I wish the triggers were even lighter.

1 of 3 targets below.
    The Savage bull barrel won this round.
    skPoV0G.jpg

Strangely enough, the CZ 512 semi-auto beat out the bolt-actions on this page.
    I enjoy it.
    Can't wait to see how it does against my Ruger 10/22 next week.
    Target 2 of 3:
    T4Z83PK.jpg

The CZ 457 & Savage bull barrel tied this round: neck and neck.
    The Savage Mark 2 F model isn't measuring up to the other rifles.
    Target 3 of 3.
    hZodbox.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    that’s what I’m afraid of. Hoping it gets returned with a better scope so I can get the groups to at least half the size. Lol 

With your younger eyes and a better scope, you would outshoot me hands down, like gmcttr has done at the range every time we've met, and that's using my own guns. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fun range day today using 3 of my rifles (CZ 457 & 512 & Savage M model) & 2 belonging to a friend (Savage bull barrel & Rossi SR22).

1st range pic adjusting scopes or red dots:
    Still got some dialing to do.
    2yGNB34.jpg

2nd range pic after dialing the optics in, but some still need some more tweaking.
    Surprised that the CZ 512 semi-auto is beating out the CZ 457, but I'll need to try different ammo to find who likes what.
    6hj0Gu2.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just admit the bull barrel is savage is king and quit wasting ammo trying to prove otherwise

Time to get out the RPR again to put an end to your outrageous charges of Savage superiority. :lmfao:
    You are remembering that anamoly of your Savage Bull beating the RPR that 1 time. :D

Next range trip I'll take both my Rugers to see how they compare to today's CZs & your Savage Bull: the Rossi semi-auto is dead to me. :dunno:
    The CZ 512 rules, and the Ruger 10/22 might not measure up to it: it will be fun to find out.
    I thought that would be the case with the CZ 457 over the RPR, but it has not proven to do so consistently, yet.
    If I ever get the optics adjusted correctly, that would help in having a fair fight.

I thought about measuring the grouping size like others do, instead of the number of rounds inside the center of whatever target I'm using.
    I have the digital & non-digital calipers.
    But, I thought I'd use them after I get the optics right: still some work to do.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger American Rimfire though I see some nice CZs out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The regular Ruger Americans are o.k. for what they are, but the CZ is a couple notches better. Only downside for me is there is just something about their stocks that causes me to struggle with shooting them accurately. At one time or another we've had 4 RARs and 3 CZs, all but one RAR went down the road when I bought a Tikka, now that rifle is in a whole 'nother league! But then I am a Tikka fanboi. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range day with only the 2 CZ rifles: 457 Trainer (bolt-action) & 512 (semi-auto).
    Used CCI Mini-Mags today.
    50 yards (to learn "the craft" :ar15:).
    "Scores" are estimated since "circles" are drawn by hand.

457 on left top x8 circles x5 shots each (28/50 rounds in circles: 56%)
    512 on bottom x15 circles x5 shots each (44/50 rounds in circles: 88%)
    FIfeBIs.jpg

UDGc1d6.jpg

33Fdf8s.jpg

Top Bottom