• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Range day with only the 2 CZ rifles: 457 Trainer (bolt-action) & 512 (semi-auto).
    Used CCI Mini-Mags today.
    50 yards (to learn "the craft" :ar15:).

I've rarely used CCI Mini Mags in rifles for target use but those are some really nice groups with those CZs! The exception is my 24" Marlin 39A , it shoots them pretty well. I may try some in my 452 next time to see how they shoot.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Hey Doddg I found the 22 rifle that works best for you. For some reason it’s still in my safe. You and the bull barrel are meant for each other

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You've got some good groups. It looks like you prefer the 512.

Yes, & I'm surprised that the semi-auto 512 absolutely shoots better than the 457 bolt-action, which isn't supposed to happen. :dunno:
    My Ruger bolt-action shoots better than my Ruger 10/22 & I assumed it would be the same for the CZ line.
    Can't wait to shoot the 512 against the 10/22 to see if they are close, but I don't see how the 10/22 will keep up with the 512.

Hey Doddg I found the 22 rifle that works best for you. For some reason it’s still in my safe. You and the bull barrel are meant for each other

That's what you've been telling me!
    I can't argue that it hasn't shot good groups & it would be fun to find out as I shoot my CZs, whether the Savage FV-SR bull barrel would keep up.
    Since I've put more rounds through it than you: I do feel obligated. :laugh:
    Maybe you should charge me rental fees & get your money that way & after I pay enough rental fees to meet your price: it's mine! :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought Rala's CZ 455 Varmint bull barrel b/c I wanted try another CZ to compete with the 457 Trainer I bought last summer.
    My Savage bull barrel does well so I wanted to give it a shot (pun intended :)).
    CZs are rarely for sale on INGO or even Armslist. :coffee:

You will not believe what happened. :wallbash:
    I was at MCFG with Rala & had just put cantilever rings & a Hawke 4-12 scope on the 455.
    The rifle was sitting on the concrete bench on bag rests that had a "V" shape on the top to keep rifle from slipping off the rests.
    I had it sitting on the rests while working of the scope tightening the rings & leveling the reticle.
    I went over to get ammo behind me & all of sudden I heard a basketball bouncing. :scratch:

Unfortunately, that was my "new" 455 falling onto the plastic chair I was sitting in & then bouncing off to the concrete with the end of the barrel hitting in front of the concrete where gravel & casings & dirt are all on the edge as a transition before the grass has taken. :crying:

There were scraps on the scope, the stock, the end of the barrel & the adjustable stock got bent.
    I hadn't fired a shot yet: 20 yrs. of wear in a second. :(

I didn't have a rod to clear the end of the barrel of debris so I couldn't shoot it & I was excited to sight it in despite the cold.
    But, all of a sudden it felt 10* colder & I just pouted & gathered my toys & went home.

Bummer.
    455 Varmint bull barrel left side.png 455 Varmint bull barrel.png

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The regular Ruger Americans are o.k. for what they are, but the CZ is a couple notches better. Only downside for me is there is just something about their stocks that causes me to struggle with shooting them accurately. At one time or another we've had 4 RARs and 3 CZs, all but one RAR went down the road when I bought a Tikka, now that rifle is in a whole 'nother league! But then I am a Tikka fanboi. :)
    Yeah I'd like one of those CZ 455 Varmints I think they're called. Very cool. Still a Ruger world when it comes to 22s though, like the 350 Chevy of the rimfire world.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I'd like one of those CZ 455 Varmints I think they're called. Very cool. Still a Ruger world when it comes to 22s though, like the 350 Chevy of the rimfire world.
    I get it.
    I started out with Rugers & have sold a few & still have the RPR after selling the 10/22 this week that I loved (Mannlicher style).
    The RPR might me next on my list b/c the Savage FV-SR bull barrel has been outshooting it & I suspect this CZ Varmint bull barrel will do the same.
    But, since I have magazines & loaders & the like for Ruger, I'm not in a rush to let it go.

I thought your 350 Chevy was a great analogy.
    In my day, the 350 was just a family car engine (had a 71 Pontiac Lemans with 350).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I get it.
    I started out with Rugers & have sold a few & still have the RPR after selling the 10/22 this week that I loved (Mannlicher style).
    The RPR might me next on my list b/c the Savage FV-SR bull barrel has been outshooting it & I suspect this CZ Varmint bull barrel will do the same.
    But, since I have magazines & loaders & the like for Ruger, I'm not in a rush to let it go.

I thought your 350 Chevy was a great analogy.
    In my day, the 350 was just a family car engine (had a 71 Pontiac Lemans with 350).

That's what I've read.
    Someone I bought ammo from this summer had one & raved about it, which put it on my radar after I try out CZs.
    I had none till this summer & now I have 3, which is what I did with Rugers.

Another friend (Aeroflyer) just bypassed the Tikka & got a Bergara for Xmas.

I bought a gun today from Rala & he bought a Luthgow & is now selling others he has.
    He wants a Bergara someday, but the Tikka is on his "next" list.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Very sorry to hear about your new rifle getting banged up doddg ... the highs and lows of gun ownership can truly be extreme at times.

From what you described, it doesn't sound like there is anything that cannot be fixed or replaced. My biggest concern would be the muzzle and AllenM can recrown that in a heartbeat.

Let us know how bad the damage truly is when you've had a chance to breakdown the rifle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very sorry to hear about your new rifle getting banged up doddg ... the highs and lows of gun ownership can truly be extreme at times.

From what you described, it doesn't sound like there is anything that cannot be fixed or replaced. My biggest concern would be the muzzle and AllenM can recrown that in a heartbeat.

Let us know how bad the damage truly is when you've had a chance to breakdown the rifle.

Thanks for your condolences! :thumbsup:
    I still can't believe it. :scratch:
    If it would have rolled the other direction it would have been onto the gun bag. :dunno:
    I was trying to be so careful since I was working with it on those bags.

I immensely appreciate your "fixes" if I need to use them.
    Rala said that there was a 50/50 chance that the scope and/or gun could have an issue.
    Since it bounced onto the plastic chair before hitting the gravel/empty shells & some on concrete I'm hoping for the best.
    I'll take it to Point Blank to get it sighted in for 25 yds to see Monday the verdict.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rala has tried to help me on occasions where we have gotten together.
    He sent me this "conversation" & I thought it was of great practical value for an inexperienced shooter as myself.
    I asked if I could post it.

Couple of unsolicited observations.
    Good shooting is about controlling and eliminating variables.
    Most of the targets don't show what ammo used.
    22 rimfire has a lot of variances.
    Cheap ammo shoots poorly, especially at farther distances.
    It doesn't matter how good the gun is: garbage in = garbage out.

Learn the difference between accuracy and precision.
    Accuracy
    is the proximity of measured result to the true value.
    Precision is the degree to which it can be repeated.
    Hitting where you aim with each shot is accuracy.
    Grouping is precision.

Don't chase hits.
    Keep the same aim point and work on consistent shooting.
    Good shooting is good groups.
    Bulls-eyes are the result of proper sight adjustment.
    Your targets show some good groups.
    They're just not bulls-eyes.

Decide what is an acceptable result at each yardage and with each gun.
    Start with 3 round groups and work up to 5.
    Don't expect the same results across the board.
    The gun + ammo+ scope + weather + support + shooter = a lot of different results.
    If your not going to use the equipment as designed,
    then invest the time to understand how it should work and how to make the changes to fit your shooting style.
    I understand why you set things up.
    Every one of your rifles has a different mount/scope set-up.
    Not all of it will work.

Get a support system that works for your style of shooting.
    The rest and building block set of bags you have is never going to give good support.
    The gun fell over because your support set-up is inherently unstable.
    A single block of wood covered in carpet would give better results.
    Learn to use a bipod or look at some of the bags used by PRS shooters.
    Armageddon Gear or Wiebad bags, or the Caldwell bag I have.
    It's a constant learning process.
    That's what make it so interesting.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Rala has tried to help me on occasions where we have gotten together.
    He sent me this "conversation" & I thought it was of great practical value for an inexperienced shooter as myself.
    I asked if I could post it.

Couple of unsolicited observations.
    Good shooting is about controlling and eliminating variables.
    Most of the targets don't show what ammo used.
    22 rimfire has a lot of variances.
    Cheap ammo shoots poorly, especially at farther distances.
    It doesn't matter how good the gun is: garbage in = garbage out.

Learn the difference between accuracy and precision.
    Accuracy
    is the proximity of measured result to the true value.
    Precision is the degree to which it can be repeated.
    Hitting where you aim with each shot is accuracy.
    Grouping is precision.

Don't chase hits.
    Keep the same aim point and work on consistent shooting.
    Good shooting is good groups.
    Bulls-eyes are the result of proper sight adjustment.
    Your targets show some good groups.
    They're just not bulls-eyes.

Decide what is an acceptable result at each yardage and with each gun.
    Start with 3 round groups and work up to 5.
    Don't expect the same results across the board.
    The gun + ammo+ scope + weather + support + shooter = a lot of different results.
    If your not going to use the equipment as designed,
    then invest the time to understand how it should work and how to make the changes to fit your shooting style.
    I understand why you set things up.
    Every one of your rifles has a different mount/scope set-up.
    Not all of it will work.

Get a support system that works for your style of shooting.
    The rest and building block set of bags you have is never going to give good support.
    The gun fell over because your support set-up is inherently unstable.
    A single block of wood covered in carpet would give better results.
    Learn to use a bipod or look at some of the bags used by PRS shooters.
    Armageddon Gear or Wiebad bags, or the Caldwell bag I have.
    It's a constant learning process.
    That's what make it so interesting.
    Hmmmmm ... sounds familiar to some advice you've received from others. Do I detect some stubbornness on your part to apply this advice or is it that you aren't sure how to apply it and need some coaching?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hmmmmm ... sounds familiar to some advice you've received from others. Do I detect some stubbornness on your part to apply this advice or is it that you aren't sure how to apply it and need some coaching?

You are right. Exactly what I was thinking when I read what Bob said. :coffee:
    Stubbornness? I hope not. I'd be ashamed of myself if true & embarrassed if that is how others see my character.
    I have no dog in the fight about technique and readily admit I don't have any experience & finesse about anything shooting. :dunno:
    I know that I have bad habits that handicap me b/c I shoot alone 99.9% of the time & keep doing the same things getting the same results. :ugh:
    I am paralyzed in application.

Just in rifle rests alone, I've bought 3 different kinds, so for the same money I could have bought more effective items if I would have known which to get. :spend:
    The last upgrade in rests I bought were damaged & I haven't repaired them yet.
    They would have avoided my rifle bouncing around on the concrete: lesson painfully learned. :wallbash:
    Should have spent time in the garage doing repairs rather than going to the range. :nono:

I am in this for enjoyment & know I'm not going to be an expert shooter since I'm the limiting
    X factor.
    At this point I want to learn to shoot well with what I have.

Thanks for you pointed input: I hear you. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up on the "bouncing basketball" that turned out to be my "new" CZ Varmint 22 rifle that fell off the bench partially onto the concrete & partially on the gravel & empty shells in front of the concrete (fortunately for me).
    I ran a snake through the barrel to clean out any sand, dirt or debris that could have been there.

On the scope, I could barely barely get the "cap" off the elevation adjuster b/c it must have taken a real hit when it fell & caused the lid to cross a thread.
    I thought I was going to have to take channel locks to get it off.
    Once off it screwed back on just fine though.
    I still put some oil on the threads & worked both the elevation & with windage caps for good measure.

The adjustable stock butt has three long "prongs" that fit into the stock.
    Even before the accident it was a bear to get the button pushed in & be able to adjust the butt.
    The 3 "prongs" got bent a little since I had adjusted it out a couple of inches.
    I straightened them up a tad wi.
    Rala warned me about pulling on the top & bottom prong b/c the aluminum could break.
    I broke the top one. :wallbash:
    I oiled the larger threaded middle prong & to my amazement it was easy to manipulate afterwards, even though it had been bent.

I was able to get it all the way back in but there is a gap at the top of the stock where that prong is missing.
    It will work for me, but before I sell it I'll have to buy a replacement, but since I think it will be a keeper it won't matter for now.

I'll address how it shoots in another post.

Attachments

• butt stock with gap.jpg
      butt stock with gap.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 11

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time.
    Got the scope dialed in on the CZ Varmint that took a hit with apparently the only damage was some scrapes. :rockwoot:
    Took it to the Point Blank today to get it dialed in at 25 yds before going to the outdoor range to dial it in at 50 yds in balmy 46* & I'll take anything over 40*.

I needed to dial in another scope on the CZ 457 Trainer as well so I got to shoot them both today at 25 yds.
    I used Armscor HV HP.
    I only had time for 5 targets each since I needed play time with my SW 686 3" barrel 7 rd before I hit the rifles.

Range 01.11.2021 Both 455 n 457 25 yds.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very glad to hear that the only damage is cosmetic and replaceable.

VERY nice groups!

I am grateful. :rockwoot:
    I hope to get the same readings on those 1" rifle targets I use at the range tomorrow like I've done with certain rifles in the past.
    Yesterday at Point Blank I couldn't use a rear stock rest b/c not enough room for it.
    I put the toe of the stock under my collarbone & the crosshairs move around like I'm shooting free hand with a handgun. :lmfao:

Today, I'm going to repair the front rest that was damaged soon after I bought it last summer.
    It came recommended, with a very stiff "V" on both the front & back section so rifle cannot "waffle," like on my previous system that let me down causing the "bouncing basketball".

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took 3 bolt actions to the range today since weather mid 40*.
    Stayed over 4 hrs. but it got cold even though I had hot coffee & my rechargeable hand warmer.
    Going tomorrow also b/c it looks like the last 40*+ we're going to have for a bit. :coffee:

The reason I bought Rala's CZ 455 Varmint last week was b/c it weighed more & had a bull barrel than the CZ Trainer that I bought last August.
    I thought the heavier rifle weight & the bull barrel would shoot better for me.
    I can see the handwriting on the wall in just a couple of range visits & 2 different ammo brands.
    I'll list the CZ 457 Trainer in the Classifieds this weekend.
    I dialed in the Savage FV-SR bull barrel today also since I've been moving scopes & rails around as needed.

The % of the number of rounds scored in the 1" circles were lower today.
    I suspect it was the Armscor HV HP ammo.
    In these 1" rifle targets I've been using CCI SV, CCI Mini-Mags, Aguila Super Extra or CCI Blazers.

#1-10 targets (rows 1 & 2) were at 25 yds Monday.
    #11-25 targets (rows 3-5) were at 50 yds today.
    Range 01.13.2020 50 yds CZ 455 & 457 & SVG FV.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3 hrs. today at the outdoor range, not 4 hours like yesterday, but it was cold.
    I wanted to do another round of yesterday's bolt actions except for the CZ 457 Training Rifle I'm selling, plus I added the Ruger RPR today.
    I used CCI SV ammo & the improvement was evident over the Armscor.

All 3 rifles showed some good groups:
    The CZ 455 Varmint didn't have as big of flyers as the others did.
    The Savage FV-SR had to lowest % but some of the best groups.
    I didn't quite get it dialed in tight enough.

Range 01.14.2021 50 yds x3 bolt actions.jpg

Top Bottom