• ...and so much more!
  • hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    UMMMMM....how about....NOW!
    Evansville March 21-22 - Evansville, IN Appleseed - March 21-22, 2009 - Eventbrite
    Cloverdale April 18-19 Cloverdale, IN Appleseed - April 18-19, 2009 - Eventbrite
    Wabash April 18-19 - Wabash, IN Appleseed - April 18-19, 2009 - Eventbrite
    Evansville April 18-19 - Evansville, IN Appleseed - April 18-19, 2009 - Eventbrite
    Lafayette April 18-19 - Lafayette, IN Appleseed - April 18-19, 2009 - Eventbrite
    Riley 4/25-26 Riley, IN Appleseed - April 25-26, 2009 - Eventbrite

That's it right now for March and April in Indiana. Register everyone coming as soon as possible, including the 'free' folks - ladies, junior shooters(under 21) and current active duty military/Guard/Reserve.

Pre-registering is very important, some of these ranges are small and will fill up/sell out quick, plus it's cheaper. I am fielding phone calls every day asking for info on the shoots.

Hawkhavn

Last edited:

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Cloverdale April 18/19 - Now on the printed schedule

Also have a Mini Appleseed scheduled for Feb 21 at Cloverdale Conservation Club. More info to follow on this one!

usafe7ret

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    DAVE!!

Glad to see you here. I think you picked the one weekend in February when I will be gone. Oh well, I am sure there are more to come.

Thanks for the heads up. Keep up the good work.

Josh

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    ATM, Great! If you have any questions, ask USAFE7RET, IndyJoe, Neocon, BoR or myself. If you can make one if the Cloverdale mini's it would be time well spent. Hawkhavn

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I got my shooting coat from Fred (do they run small or am I getting fatter?) so I registered for the Wabash event in April (both days). I was going to shoot my AR, but as high as ammo is I may try to fix up my 10/22 (just the basic carbine).

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    By the way, what time will we it finish up on Saturday. I am not going to attempt a camp out and will be going home. Then start time on Sunday would be?

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Haldir,

I always recommend getting them oversized, as I like to get a sweatshirt under them. But I imagine mine has 'shrunk' some this winter as well.

Wabash doesn't have camping on-site but I think there is a private campground nearby. Both days will start off at 8:30, Saturdays usually finish up around 5:30-6, Sundays 4-5.

10/22's are great, the two things that will improve them the most is to put a 1.25" US GI type sling on them and get a set of tech-sights. To get you in shape, start strectching now and by April you'll be fine. Take 3 nights a week and practice getting into prone, sitting and off-hand.

Hawkhavn

Last edited:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had some questions about upcoming Appleseeds. I am going to go this year, this spring. I notice some of the ranges are .22 only, and are 25 meters, does that make a big difference over the 300yard ranges? I have been encouraging my wife to go, and she has tentatively agreed, but has warned she might not have the patience for a weekend, what is the drill on a single day, ie, what is the agenda, or time line, is there a break, how long, what might she expect? I usually work on Saturday's, if I went for 1 day (sun), do I miss alot? Is it better to just do the whole weekend for the first time? I'm thinking of going to the Cloverdale shoot, just trying to figure out my schedule, and what would work best. Thanks!

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Dr. Falken,

No actual distance does not make a huge difference, especially if a shooter is starting out. The primary difference is adjustment for wind effects. If you can hit at 25 m you can hit at 500 yards. I know, I've done it and seen it done many times. Full range is neat, but it only confirms your skill but it takes a lot longer to instruct (transit time).

Here's an approximate timeline:
    8:30 Registration
    9 - Introduction and safety instruction, set up shooters
    Instruct and shoot until lunch (12 ish)
    45-60 minutes for lunch
    Instruction and shooting until 5-5:30
    Breaks will be taken throughout the day and whenever the shooter desires.

Sunday rinse and repeat with less instruction and more practice.

If you can only make one day, make it Saturday as that is when all on the instruction is done. Sunday is practice and skills polishing.

If you can make one of the mini's at Cloverdale that will help a bunch.

Have your wife read the posts in this thread on our forum:
    The Women of Appleseed, Stories from Appleseed Weekends

Scroll past the first historical posts until you get to the letters from actual attendees. She might find some familiar thoughts on that page.

Anyone else's wife/sister/girlfriend/SO that is thinking or curious about Appleseed, have them take a look at that page.

Hawkhavn

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    My wife and daughter attended an Appleseed shoot last year, even though it was very cold they both had a good time and we talked about our experience a lot afterwards. They both "want " to attend another event or as long as it takes until they shoot Rifleman this year. My wife being a teacher really enjoyed the history and the way the entire course is taught.
    Appleseed is a great family experience and a great way to get other family members interested in shooting or becoming better shooters. The atmosphere is very family oriented as well.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hawkhavn, Thanks for the information. I think that I will sign up for one of the upcoming Cloverdale shoots and just commit to the whole weekend. I was talking to my wife and decided that I'd take it first and then I would have a better idea to tell her about. I'm kinda excited, I went and bought two M14 slings yesterday and hope to get them fitted on my 10/22's. What really has me thinking is the Osage Beach site in Missouri, as that is close to the brother and father-in-law, that would be fun! But one step at a time, need to get registered first.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it going to be a problem if some of the shooting positions (like sitting or kneeling) are difficult or impossible for a student?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My experience has been that the instructors are very willing to help a student make modifications or omissions in order to better their shooting. Having said that, prone is kinda the crux of what they do, and you spend a reasonable bit of time getting up and down.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm now registered for 25-26 April 2009 at Riley Conservation Club near Beautiful Terre Haute, Indiana.

Anyone going to join me?

Question ... is it possible for people to share rifles, or will everyone be shooting at the same time all the time?

Top Bottom