• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Unless they break into 2 squads, you will all be shooting at the same time. I was at an AS where they had to do 2 squads the second day, but it is not their preference. It's a long day Saturday, and 2 squads slows things down for everyone.

However, it shouldn't be hard to wrestle up a 22 if you need one for a friend. Typically, you just need to let someone at AS know you want to borrow one so they can reserve one in your name.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to try to get my sister and her twins to be there too. It will be virtually impossible to get them to commit to it, but I'll try.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm now registered for 25-26 April 2009 at Riley Conservation Club near Beautiful Terre Haute, Indiana.

Anyone going to join me?

Question ... is it possible for people to share rifles, or will everyone be shooting at the same time all the time?

We run the line as one barring some strange circumstance. There are loaners for the asking. Almost every trainer there has a spare 10/22 with sling setup for the event, some have more than one. If you need a centerfire loaner (read -> AR) and you have the ammo, a rifle may be available if you give warning.

Oh, and I am scheduled to be there that day.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Dr. Falken - Welcome aboard, when you get the sling swivels remember to buy the 1 1/4 inch ones. I prefer the Uncle Mike quick disconnect.

Clay and Rhino - I'm looking forward to meeting you! I just went to the super secret Appleseed Instructor site and looked up who was going to be there for the Riley shoot and you will see several 'familiar' folks.

With the Instructors I know that will be there we will have multiple .22 loaners available but contact me to get one reserved. Riley is a great facility but we do have limit on the number that can shoot and we're about halfway there so get everyone you know registered early, even the free folks.

Hawkhavn

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Is it going to be a problem if some of the shooting positions (like sitting or kneeling) are difficult or impossible for a student?

No. The instructors will help you shoot better with whatever positions you can manage. They are also good at suggesting slightly different positions, such as different styles of kneeling instead of sitting. If those don't work, you can shoot standing as sitting or prone as sitting.

There won't be an instructor out there that wouldn't rather you come and do what you can, rather than stay home.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Indyjoe,

Thanks for the catch, I missed that one. Rhino, he is exactly right, this isn't a competition with a strict set of rules, if someone needs to take a break or just shoot from a different position, that's fine as long as it is safe, we're good.

Hawkhavn

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So my Recalcitrant Rhino Rhollover pRhone will be acceptable? :D

I can do prone and standing okay, but a conventional sitting position is a loser for me.

I'd like to use an AR for the class, but economic pressure and dwindling rainy day supplies will favor a .22, probably my li'l CZ bolt gun.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So my Recalcitrant Rhino Rhollover pRhone will be acceptable? :D

I can do prone and standing okay, but a conventional sitting position is a loser for me.

I'd like to use an AR for the class, but economic pressure and dwindling rainy day supplies will favor a .22, probably my li'l CZ bolt gun.

If you really want. Or I have two 10/22's that you can pick from. Your choice.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Rhino,

How about kneeling instead of prone? We work with a lot of folks to find alternate positions, no big deal.

Hawkhavn

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My Appleseed time will be slim with my upcoming wedding, but I also have 2 - 10/22s setup for Appleseed that are available to members who need them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, How about kneeling instead of prone? We work with a lot of folks to find alternate positions, no big deal. Hawkhavn

I can do a quick kneel for brief periods of time, but a conventional supported kneeling position is not great for me either.

Prone is not generally a problem.

We'll work it out.

In other news, I was going to bring my sister and twin nephews, but it's apparently their prom weekend and they are thus unavailable. :rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another question ... will be we be shooting at multiple distances or a specific distance? If the latter, what will it be at RileyCC?

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    doesn't look like that many at wabash... i will try to dig up friends and family to take down to wabash. how many can fit on that range (Wabash Wildlife and Sportsman's Assoc)?

(never been to that one in wabash i did go down to bassandbucks near wabash. nice folks, nice place. they have a variety of distances up to and including 750yards)

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Rhino,

All of the shooting at Riley will be at 25m.

Culpepper,

I think we've had around 50 at Wabash before.

HH

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks, hawkhavn.

I'll zero my CZ for 25m with whatever ammo I'm going to use.

If I shoot my AR, would you object to me using a tiny holdover (about an inch at 25m) instead of changing my zero? I have my AR zeroed at 50 yards, and I won't be able to sleep if I change it. :D

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Rhino,

It's a deal, although after an Appleseed weekend you won't be worried about not fussing with the sights. You'll know how to adjust them with confidence.

HH

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino,

It's a deal, although after an Appleseed weekend you won't be worried about not fussing with the sights. You'll know how to adjust them with confidence.

HH

Believe it or not, I do actually know how to adjust my sights and zero. :D

I just don't like doing it after I've spent the time and ammo getting as close to zeroed as I can get with my gun, my ammo, and my skills. When it goes well, I realize zeroing can be accomplished with just a few rounds, but then I choose to fire some more to confirm. I'll often use a full magazine (28 or 30 rounds) to do it, and now . . . that's spendy!

It's also one of those "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of deals. I have my defensive tools zeroed at 50 yards for specific reasons, and it suits my needs the best. Precision shooting tools are a different story (like the nice .308 bolt gun I don't have yet), as using adjustments of the optics is part of the game.

I don't mind fiddling with the zero on my .22 at all. My CZ is currently zeroed at 50 yards, but my 10/22 is zeroed at 25 yards.

Top Bottom