• Lending out Guns to Site Supporters for Range Trips

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I wouldn't just loan it to anyone. Now, if someone wants to try them out I'd be happy to meet at a range and let them try them. Outside of that, they will only take my guns out of my sight if I know them personally, VERY well.

Note: last time I lent someone a gun out of my sight, it winded up in posession of the county Sherriffs and some kid had a hole in his belly. :twocents: .........and I KNEW the guy who borrowed it VERY well.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    My boss just called me on the way home from work needing to borrow a shotgun. I'm lending him one of mine since all of his are at his house in MS. I know him well and know that he'll treat it the same or better than I do. Family and close friends I wouldn't think twice about lending. I would suggest supervised trips that way you can teach them about the firearm while they try it out.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I wouldn't mind meeting up with INGO members at the range and letting them try out something I own, but I usually never len my firearms out ( immediate family being the only exception)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Nope. The only people who I'd trust are my brothers, a few cousins and 1 friend. I'd be happy to let some some others I know shoot em in my presence, but no way is a few bucks to become a site supporter a qualification. :twocents:

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    I would not lend a stranger a firearm. The only two people I would lend a firearm to would be my sister (who is a police officer) or my girlfriend (who I live with). If someone was interested in checking out a firearm I would go with that person to the range.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It all depends on the person and the circumstances. I probably would loan a gun, especially if it was being used as a tool and not for recreational shooting. (Not that I wouldn't loan a gun for recreational shooting, just more likely to loan if the preson "needed" it)

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can call me crazy. More than once I've handed folks whose last name I don't know a handgun bag with +/- $600 of gear enclosed. Always in the safe controlled environment of FNS.

Don't loan out stuff you are not prepared to have damaged or even stolen. That said, new shooters are our life's blood. If we don't encourage, assist and instruct, we are a dieing breed.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Honestly, I can't think of any reason where I would lend anyone (with the exception of direct decendents) a framing hammer let alone a firearm.

Having said that I've gone to the range with a lot of people to let them fire a gun or three...and paid for the ammo.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nope, never other than friends on a range trip. I don't lend out guns or vehicles, and I don't borrow them, either.

That said, there are a few good friends that if they were in a bind I would let them borrow certain guns. Some are simply irreplaceable due to memories attached and I would never risk one of them.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    There maybe 2 or 3 people I would lend a gun to.
    Let someone shoot my stuff at the range with me there?
    Sure, no problem

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Its not just site supporter. Established site supporter. For example Esrice, GBuck, 429, HP, DK..

People who have been around, people I have met, went to school with or other wise know on a more than an INGO level.

As I said I am just spit balling anyway. Just wanted to see if anyone else had considered it.

You lost all credibility at "GBuck"...

:D

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I will let people shoot my guns when I go to the range with them. That's all. MAYBE lend to family, depends on who it is and why. Ponder this.
    1. Joe all around good dude borrows your AR-15 to test it out to see if he wants one, shoots his cheating wife's boyfriend and gives you your AR back.. "officer I don't even OWN a .223".... Likely? NO, Possible? Maybe ( borrowed guns HAVE been used in a murder before)
    2. Joe NON killer borrows your $2200 Tacticooled AR-with everything, and leaves it in the car at Golden Corrall, comes out and; "OH NO" the car is broken into and your gun is stolen. Will his insurance pay for a gun he has no receipt for? Will yours pay for a gun stolen from someone elses vehicle?

Youe life, your rules, but ALWAYS consider the "what if's" before hand.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I am a little more open with my firearms than some, but only a little. If I am at a range, and someone asks to try out what I am shooting (like A guy did with my old Beretta Minx), then I am fine with it. If someone I meet asks about my gun, and I get a feel for the person during a conversation, I will unload it, empty the chamber, and let them see it. That is only in close supervision, with me hovering close by. There are two people I would let take one of my guns out of my sight: 1) my fiance, and that is because we go shooting together, and I know her to be a safe shooter (She can't go to far with it however, since she is a KY resident, and doesn't have the CCW- we get married in May, and she's gonna wait until she get's put on my lease to get her LTCH) and 2) Indiucky, since I have been dealing with him for a while, has similar interests in old classic firearms, and I know him to be a safe and responsible shooter, even though I have never shot with him before. Sad as this sounds, I would not loan a firearm to my own brother, since I have never seen him shoot anything more than a BB Gun in cub scouts- many years ago. If I don't know not only the person's character, but also their ability and understanding of firearm safety, then it will not leave my sight.

Top Bottom