• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    After leaving my job at Tactical Response and sitting on the side lines for over a year, I am finally ready to launch my new training venture. My company’s name is Mindset Laboratory (Mindset Lab for short) and we are primarily a Force on Force training provider. There are several good schools that teach live-fire programs, but very, very few Force on Force schools. Some instructors offer a class or two that have some FoF skills or scenarios in them, but in my opinion it should be the core of defense training and not the fringe.

I have scheduled my first two classes in August and I’m announcing them here first.

Saturday - August 22, 2009
    Flashlight Combatives
    Indianapolis, IN

Sunday - August 23, 2009
    Intro to Force on Force
    Indianapolis, IN

Each class regularly costs $150 and Intro to Force on Force has a $25 marking ammo fee. INGO members who register for both classes will pay $275 (including the ammo) rather than $325. That’s $50 off. For INGO site supporters I’ll knock off another $25 bringing the total for both classes to $250. If you want to only register for one of the two classes, it will be regular price.

$250 for two full days of training where I provide all the gear, guns and ammo is, in my opinion, a very good deal.

I’m doing this for my first set of classes to provide some deeply discounted training opportunities to INGO members and to reward site supporters for their contributions to this forum.

You can read more details about the classes on my website (Mindset Lab | Real Training + Real Testing) or ask your questions here.

If you want to register, please follow the instructions on the registration page or send me a PM here on INGO with your registration information.

I look forward to training with you soon.
    - Shay

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    I heard the musings about you getting a FOF school off the ground, glad to hear it's ready to launch.

I will make a point to take at least one class from you before the year is over. Are these done indoor/outdoor? If indoor, do you plan to hold classes year round?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I heard the musings about you getting a FOF school off the ground, glad to hear it's ready to launch.

I will make a point to take at least one class from you before the year is over. Are these done indoor/outdoor? If indoor, do you plan to hold classes year round?

Indoor most of the time unless we want to be outside for some reason (vehicles or lots of movement). It's nice to have access to a large facility and the guys (and gals) who have trained with me there will tell you that it's a fun place to run around.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Out of town :facepalm: Will check out the sight for class schedule updates. As a side note, can we bring airsoft, or is it all marker weapons, and do they fit regular CC holsters(i.e. simunition guns, etc.?) GOOD LUCK with the venture.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Out of town :facepalm: Will check out the sight for class schedule updates. As a side note, can we bring airsoft, or is it all marker weapons, and do they fit regular CC holsters(i.e. simunition guns, etc.?) GOOD LUCK with the venture.

The marking guns fit in regular holsters. We'll have to talk about the personally owned airsoft.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Shay, could you give us your background and credentials concerning firearms & training? Thanks :yesway:

Wait... Nevermind I found it

Owner and lead instructor Shay VanVlymen has taught defensive tactics for over 10 years. He is an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Life Member as well as a CCW license instructor for multiple states. Shay spent the last 8 years of his teaching career working for Tactical Response. He has also taken training from Andy Stanford (OPS), John Benner (TDI), South Narc (Shiv Works), Tom Givens (Rangemaster), John Farnam (DTI), David Blinder (PDT), Tony Scotti (VDI) and many others. In addition he holds armorer certifications from Barrett and Glock and for the M4/AR15 rifle.

Last edited:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If you carry a gun and live in Indiana I highly suggest you take Shay's force on force class. I don't have as much training under my belt as many on this site but probably more than most. I took the ML FOF class and one scenario was worth more to me than all of my years on the range.

Shay is a great instructor and this is a class you must take! I will probably be a student / participant in the next class so I hope to see you there.

Fenway

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Can you post up a daily charge for a Force on Force class? I'd like to see if I can wrangle up some guys to do it on a Saturday, not Sunday. (not going to miss church)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Is this the FoF class designed for someone who has never taken another class before? I carry and frequent the range, but have never been advised by a professional.

Any comments on the Flashlight Class?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Is this the FoF class designed for someone who has never taken another class before? I carry and frequent the range, but have never been advised by a professional.
    Absolutely. If you are familiar enough with your firearm to know the 4 basic safety rules, you can absolutely take this class.

The nice thing about this class is that it's really an appetizer course for the next level of FOF trainings. From what I hear, most FOF courses are scenario after scenario after scenario with only a little classroom discussion. This class lets you wade in the shallow end of the pool by having some classroom discussion, followed by practice looking down the barrel at a human target (rather than a cardboard or paper target), followed by a scenario or two. Shooting at a person is *completely* different than shooting at paper, and learning that fact when someone is attacking you out in the real world is not really the best time to learn it. If you're going to carry for personal protection, or even for home defense, I strongly encourage you to check this course out.

Any comments on the Flashlight Class?
    Shay gave Lars and I an introduction to the premise for this class, but I'll admit I had a slight flu and slept through about half of the day, so I missed the best parts (based on what I heard in discussions afterward).

It was really interesting to me because he discussed what type of flashlight you should carry (advantages and disadvantages to several types) and how you could use the flashlight either with or without a gun. I knew that a flashlight could be used to identify that noise you heard, but I never realized just how subtle movements of the light can be used to defuse or intimidate, depending on what you feel your threat level is. Plus, carrying a flashlight comes in handy for more ways than just self-defense -- such as when the lights suddenly go out in the store you're shopping in.

He apparently also taught some basic hand-to-hand combat maneuvers using the flashlight, but those were the parts I zonked out for.

Either way, it's an excellent supplemental course for someone who's looking to enhance their repertoire, but it's also an excellent class for that person who knows they should have better situational awareness but aren't necessarily ready to take the leap to carrying a gun daily (although this class might help him/her make up his/her mind to carry daily).

Top Bottom