• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sadly a lot of companies are phasing out manual tranny's all together.

It's really disappointing to me, because a manual tranny is normally rock solid for hundreds of thousands of miles vs the always ready to fail AT.

A manual tranny in a small car makes driving seem like a rally car VS a log wagon.

c5b11dba8b1be30585201a038209f6c3.gif

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm 40, all my cars are automatic.

That said, I learned to drive at 14 in a VW-powered dune buggy and can drive my old man's SS396. I'm also thinking of buying a prepped Miata as a track car, which hurts my feeling a bit less having a cage/harness/aero.

About 5 years ago I test drove a Focus hatchback with 1.0L engine and manual - the mid-20s salesman couldn't drive it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Only 1-2% of new cars in the US are stick shifts. I didn't bother to teach my kids because they are, for all intents and purposes, obsolete. I used to enjoy them in small, sporty cars when I was younger, but now it just seems like they would be a pain in the ass in traffic. If EV technology ever matures to attractive pricing, 400 mile range and 5 minute charging, transmissions will be irrelevant anyway, other than enthusiasts clubs and such. Kinda like horses or black powder pistols.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... We were supposed to all have flying cars by now. How's that worked out? :p

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Sadly a lot of companies are phasing out manual tranny's all together.

It's really disappointing to me, because a manual tranny is normally rock solid for hundreds of thousands of miles vs the always ready to fail AT.

A manual tranny in a small car makes driving seem like a rally car VS a log wagon.

c5b11dba8b1be30585201a038209f6c3.gif
    My son has Ford Focus RS and I drive it every so often for him so it does not sit for extended periods of time.

Let’s just say it’s a hoot to drive.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    3 out of our 4 cars are manual. My 2011 VW, 19 yr old sons 2009 VW, and wife’s 2017 Jeep are all manual. My 18 yr old son drives an auto, but hates it. He has been looking for a good manual car but there are few choices these days. When he took his driving test at 16, he did it in my manual car. The driving instructor was impressed to say the least.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Only 1-2% of new cars in the US are stick shifts. I didn't bother to teach my kids because they are, for all intents and purposes, obsolete. I used to enjoy them in small, sporty cars when I was younger, but now it just seems like they would be a pain in the ass in traffic. If EV technology ever matures to attractive pricing, 400 mile range and 5 minute charging, transmissions will be irrelevant anyway, other than enthusiasts clubs and such. Kinda like horses or black powder pistols.
    Fairly certain that EV evolving to the point of being practical is well outside the Liberals long game!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Fairly certain that EV evolving to the point of being practical is well outside the Liberals long game!
    Teslas are already fairly practical, if you live in a fairly urban/suburban area.

But it will be a while before the other nitwits in the car industry catch up.

Lpherr

Occupied
    We will run out of coal, producing and charging the batteries, before that happens.

Reactions: wcd

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Teslas are already fairly practical, if you live in a fairly urban/suburban area.

But it will be a while before the other nitwits in the car industry catch up.
    Yeah Hard pass the the Tesla. It’s going to be a cold day some where when I would ever purchase a vehicle that can be disabled remotely . Sorry that is a situation that would be ripe for abuse.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah Hard pass the the Tesla. It’s going to be a cold day some where when I would ever purchase a vehicle that can be disabled remotely . Sorry that is a situation that would be ripe for abuse.
    Pretty sure, ICE vehicles will be that way soon, if they are not already.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    about 7yr ago I bought a cheap 5sp Saturn and learned with it. otherwise I wouldn’t have had a chance to learn yet.

I have inherited a few muscle-era 4sp to get driving one day and didn’t want to learn with 300hp lol

Lpherr

Occupied
    They are. Those with OnStar(?) for one. Think an "app" that can unlock your doors for you can't shut down your engine?
    Any vehicle with the infotainment system, and downloads updates, can be controlled remotely.
    They want to make them self driving to return to a base location, if they haven't already.

Top Bottom