• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't know, all of us and my sons were brought up with clutches on just about everything. Motorcycles, 4 wheelers, tractors, cars, trucks and a power unit.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I can believe that. about 7 or 8 years ago when I was on tour. We were playing the Mertle Beach Speedway and were told that as soon as we got everything on the stage set up. they would let us drive the cars around the track. Between the band and crew over half couldn't drive a standard. I was shocked.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's been a while since I was in Qatar (19 years?? HOLY ****!!!,) but I saw a lot of troops learn to drive stick-shift over there. Probably half the vehicles were Euro-specs/had a stick-shift.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Only 1-2% of new cars in the US are stick shifts. I didn't bother to teach my kids because they are, for all intents and purposes, obsolete. I used to enjoy them in small, sporty cars when I was younger, but now it just seems like they would be a pain in the ass in traffic. If EV technology ever matures to attractive pricing, 400 mile range and 5 minute charging, transmissions will be irrelevant anyway, other than enthusiasts clubs and such. Kinda like horses or black powder pistols.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My oldest son is 36. His first car had a 5-speed. He learned to drive a stick-shift in about 3 days.

My wife, who is 2 years younger than me, who I did teach to shoot, cannot drive a stick-shift. The first time I tried was in our neighbor's Chevy S-10 (4-cylinder/4-speed.) She shifted into neutral going up a hill. Nuff said.

In my days as a USAF Base Supply type, I taught a lot of young troops how to drive forklifts. I'm thinking I could've taught my wife to drive a forklift. Forward and reverse, keep the forks low, how hard is that?

Top Bottom