• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    By the way...

Jeremy Johnson is a Tesla investor and supporter. He first invested in Tesla in 2017 after years of following Elon Musk and admiring his work ethic and intelligence”

That sounds like an independent report. An investor and cheerleader fanboi.

Most of the American press cites a report from “AutoinsuranceEZ company” who claim “These findings were based on data from the National Transportation Safety Board and the Bureau of Transportation Statistics”.

These stats being touted are ridiculous and likely just propaganda to push EV’s.

‘You don't have to be a professional statistician to notice that these AutoInsuranceEZ numbers look a wee bit questionable. Because, EVs and hybrids aside, if 1530 conventional internal-combustion cars (aka, "most of the cars") are catching fire per 100,000 vehicles, that would equate to millions of car fires each year—as of 2020, there were roughly 270 million registered passenger vehicles in the US. Imagine that: You'd definitely know someone whose car caught fire. Maybe your car caught fire. It might be on fire right now! "Oh, another car fire," you'd say, driving past the third conflagration of your morning commute.”

Car And Driver found:

“To try to figure out where these numbers came from, we first contacted the National Transportation Safety Board, purported source for the car-fire statistics. And the NTSB's spokesman told us, "There is no NTSB database that tracks highway vehicle fires. We do not know what data AutoInsuranceEZ used for its research, but it did not come from an NTSB database." They suggested that perhaps the study authors confused the NTSB with NHTSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. So we contacted NHTSA.”

“And guess what? NHTSA doesn't collect fire data in this way, either. NHTSA—which we should call "the NHTSA," but that sounds weird—collects data on crashes but says that only about 5 percent of fires are crash-related. So they rely on other sources for information, like the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS). Which, in any case, doesn't categorize fires according to the type of vehicle powertrain.”

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Learned in a 98? Sonoma. Beat the hell out of an 80 Subaru hatchback.

Owned a late 90s or early 00s 5 speed cavalier. Then the '02 BMW 330CI Msport and '02 M5.

Also drove an 04 Chevy kodiac 6500 6 speed... and moved the sterling 13speed semi they had often enough.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, Im in my early 50s and my first cars were sticks. I havent owned a stick since the mid 90s.

Anyone else find themselves instinctively going to 12 on the wheel and the other hand on the shifter as they get ready to possibly drive aggressively?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    My first car was a stick when I was 17. Couldn't drive it when I bought it. My brother drove it home and taught me in the high
    school parking lot. A '71 Nova with 3 on the floor.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I did say when the technology matures. Especially if solid state batteries are perfected.

By the way...

So, cars that represent 1/207 of the US fleet have 'only' 1/19 the likelihood of catching fire

Put another way, that means the average Tesla has a likelihood of catching fire that is almost 11x the likelihood of an average ICE car in order to generate those odds

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It has been said that now less than 20% of Americans can drive a Standard Transmission Vehicle.
    Really that seems like a understatement?
    Understatement? I think 20% seems high. There just aren’t that many manual transmissions any more for people to even learn on. One guy at work has a manual BMW, probably only because he is from Europe.

I think the engineering for automatics has progressed to the point where they are reliable for hundreds of thousand of miles and with all the electronics probably out perform a manual for all but the most skilled drivers.

My dad made me learn to drive with a three on the tree Mercury Monarch. A skill I appreciate to this day.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    My very first vehicle was a 68 3/4 ton Chevy truck (yes with the old split rims).
    4 speed (granny 1st), with 2nd gear out. Unless I was on a fairly steep grade, I started in 3rd then shifted to 4th.
    I was in high school and had no problems driving with this configuration. So I didn't see any need spending cash on a transmission, while there were recreational substances I wanted more.

I've owned several manual shift vehicles over the past 45 years.
    Today my truck is a 2002 Ranger with a 5 speed manual. And yes, I still enjoy shifting the gears.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My oldest son is 36. His first car had a 5-speed. He learned to drive a stick-shift in about 3 days.

My wife, who is 2 years younger than me, who I did teach to shoot, cannot drive a stick-shift. The first time I tried was in our neighbor's Chevy S-10 (4-cylinder/4-speed.) She shifted into neutral going up a hill. Nuff said.

In my days as a USAF Base Supply type, I taught a lot of young troops how to drive forklifts. I'm thinking I could've taught my wife to drive a forklift. Forward and reverse, keep the forks low, how hard is that?

To look at some of the I beams around here, pretty hard.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Took the son out yesterday for a little country cruise in the Firebird with manual 6sp. Not nearly old enough to let him drive but did let him shift gears for awhile. He thought it was crazy it will run about 65mpg in 2nd. It's also due for a new set of tires so I thought I'd lay down some rubber with the old. It's been awhile since I've seen the kid smile that big so I had to do it a few more times :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom