• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...The neighbors unruly dogs...Neighbors got warned...My other neighbors...

That's a lot of references to "neighbors," for a cabin that was described as off the path and "primitive." Just an observation...sounds like there's plenty of folks around. Could be either a plus, or a minus.

As for losing it, that's fine. I'll be fine if it disappears. It'll be a budget build. I just needed to hear it's legal from someone in the know. Thanks again.

Legal, probably yes...but does this sound responsible? Lacking details of what the locking arrangements will be, plus the fact that other people besides yourself will have access to it...not so much.

It sounds like the specific reason you're leaving it at the cabin, and not transporting it back and forth, is for the intentional purpose of providing access to the firearm to others, at times when you will not be present. Without further information, that sounds like the quintessential definition of an irresponsible gun owner. Why can these people not "own" and/or "transport" a firearm themselves? Are these people who are "proper persons" to have access to firearms?

You've raised more questions than you've answered. The problem, for you, is not the legality of leaving the gun unattended in a residence. "Unauthorized access" may be the least of your problems. If you're going to get into trouble, it's going to be the "providing unaccompanied access to others" part that's going to do it.

This is the internet...and that's my $0.02. This sounds like the makings of something we "end up reading about."

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Do you know how to set a Claymore?

or at the very least a 12ga shell and a rat trap.
    I think we could be friends. I despise thieves with a passion.
    To the OP. The take-down rifles were made for this very thing. Maybe a Marlin Papoose. Or a Springfield M6 Scout.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like a good way to feed straw purchases.

OK, that will be $1000 dollars. Go to the cabin this weekend. Pry the hasp off the back door. The AR will be under the mattress.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Indiana has no reporting requirement for gun thefts. There's also no registry or tracking system to speak of, and the only way it could possibly come back to you is if in the gun is used in a crime, a trace is conducted, and somebody pulls the 4473 showing you as the original buyer. Even then you still haven't committed any crimes.

Personally, I'd just truck my guns to and from.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The gent above has it right. This is a good excuse to put a tube in the ground (or three ;).) Rifle, ammo, spare handgun, cash...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF I were in your position, I'd invest in one of these. And dont tell friends who use the cabin it exists. If it cant be found, it cant be stolen.

https://store.tacticalwalls.com/1450m-full-length-concealment-mirror-p2.aspx

But if at all possible, always take it with you.

(actually, I'd most likely always take it with, but if I HAD to leave it behind, it would be locked and stashed secretly.)

Edit: or split the difference between mine and the suggestions of burying them in PVC. Stash them in the crawlspace in a burial tube.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Indiana has no reporting requirement for gun thefts. There's also no registry or tracking system to speak of, and the only way it could possibly come back to you is if in the gun is used in a crime, a trace is conducted, and somebody pulls the 4473 showing you as the original buyer. Even then you still haven't committed any crimes.

Personally, I'd just truck my guns to and from.

Why did this not come up till page three? :rolleyes:

If the OP wants to leave a cheap .22LR or Mosin Nagant in his cabin, so what? There's probably ten other things worth more already there.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In this situation, I would not worry about legality. I'm not rendering advice for your specific situation, I'm just saying that facing the same situation, I, personally, would not be worried about criminal or civil liability.

That being said, the "gold standard" position is to not do it and to bring any gun you want with you. Other than motorcycling there, or perhaps an MG Midget with a weeks worth of formal gowns packed, I don't see not having space for a rifle.

Less desirable, for me, would be leaving a rifle there, but if i did, it would be hidden somewhere not at all easily accessible, i.e., not where it would be deployed from, but somewhere truly out of sight and difficult to access, and I would only remove it and put it back if I was alone. In fact, I would never mention it was there. If i anticipated needing it, I would have no one around when getting it, and would have a decently secure place to store it when i was at the cabin, but that would not be the same place I kept it when I was away.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thank you sir.

To further explain why, there's been a couple instances where a rifle would've been nice to have and I didn't have one. The neighbors unruly dogs trying to attack my dog is not cool with me. Neighbors got warned their dogs will be shot if it happens again. It's to the point where I don't wanna let them in to handgun distances. My other neighbors took out half of them for killing chickens. The ones left are a little smarter.

As for losing it, that's fine. I'll be fine if it disappears. It'll be a budget build. I just needed to hear it's legal from someone in the know. Thanks again.

Is it possible that a pellet rifle would be sufficient to scare away dogs? At least then you wouldn't worry about it so much.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Damn sure the OP needs to "decided to take the gun back and forth," in this thread, regardless of what he actually does. ;)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Read in the news about some burglaries at a Jellystone Campground - one of those places where people leave campers or RVs year-round. I was amazed at the stuff listed as stolen, cash, electronics and firearms. The perps (alleged) have been caught, but doesn't mean the property returned. Wondered why anyone would leave valuables in a place like that, especially off-season.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's your cabin, what you choose to store in it is your business and your business alone. If some dickhead breaks in and steals your property I won't blame you for whatever they decide to do with that property and neither will the law.

Top Bottom