Lady rescued from Kroger robbery now suing Kroger and rescuer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I carry because I want to do what I can to protect my family, and part of protecting my family includes being financially there for them. Being bankrupted by a lawsuit (outlaying significant costs even if it goes nowhere), is harmful to my family. If *I* have an out, I'm sorry but you are on your own.
    This thread is a good reminder to be sure of your insurance coverage. Do you have enough personal liability coverage for something like this? Will your policy even cover a self-defense incident? NRA has a self-defense policy that might be worth looking at: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage

--Bill

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll bet there was some one in here ear telling her to do so, I'm sure this sounds like a tinfoily hat thing to say, but just seems odd that this is coming out now when all the gun talks are going on.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I'll bet there was some one in here ear telling her to do so
    Lawsuits like this. Brought to you by...

p-1319.jpg

dewey-cheatem-and-howe.gif

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This thread is a good reminder to be sure of your insurance coverage. Do you have enough personal liability coverage for something like this? Will your policy even cover a self-defense incident? NRA has a self-defense policy that might be worth looking at: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage

--Bill

I agree with all above, but the dirty little not-so-secret is that if there's no ready source of cash, like an insurance company, plaintiff's lawyers who are all about "justice" and "right" and "principle", don't care about suing you anymore.

Still, the best policy is a nice big umbrella policy.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    We need a common sense judge, that will look at lawsuits before they can be filed and just say "NO" to the stupid ones. Like being burned by hot coffee, or being saved from a hostage situation.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I could see a more reasonable cause for Mr. Elliot, the former manager, filing suit against Nelson. After all, as the security guard, it was her responsibility to protect him from the criminal, not the other way around. Obviously, she failed miserably.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I grew up litterally five minutes from where the shooting occured, and I still go to that Kroger at night....with my .45. lol
    Anyway it's in a deeply liberal area surrounded with entitlement types who will get money from either the government or via civil action in any way they can. I hate to say that about my home but it's true. This is why I'm reluctant to stick my neck out for anyone beyond friends and family.
    I'm honestly surprised the lawsuit wasn't filed sooner.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    would a high five to the face be sufficent!?

what an idiot.
    I think a high-one to the face would be sufficient. I'll let your imagination run as to which phalange would be the one extended.

INGO Class Action suit? How will the award be distributed, All 28,000 or just the 50 actual posters and our shill accounts? :D
    Most class actions wind up being whittled down to just a buck or two for each member of the class, but even if it wound up being 50¢ for each of us, that would still cost her $14k.

ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    This is exactly why I have such a poor attitude about using my gun to help others; it's for protection of myself, my family, and those I am close to, not strangers.

I carry because I want to do what I can to protect my family, and part of protecting my family includes being financially there for them. Being bankrupted by a lawsuit (outlaying significant costs even if it goes nowhere), is harmful to my family. If *I* have an out, I'm sorry but you are on your own.

I HATE having that attitude....
    If my wife were being held hostage, would I want someone to come to her aid? Well yes. So there's the additional selfish part. But I would understand if no-one acted.

It's a real shame this is what we've come to as a society that the woman would see this good samaritan as a person to rob through the legal system....

I really want a different attitude about helping others w/ my carry gun, but then I see stories like this.....

-rvb

I feel the same way. Until there is significant Tort Reform of our civil justice system, I am not all that inclined to be the "hero" if it requires drawing my gun, let alone firing it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    This is the exact situation where he should have only shot someone that is going to kill him. If someone else was going to get hurt then turn and walk away. The legal system is not there for the person that did the right thing. What he did was morally right but he will be bankrupt and stressed out for years fighting for something he did right. His life is destroyed for helping this person. Kroger will most likely not defend him. He is intercoursed in the civil court system

If anyone here is in a situation where you can save someone else's life by shooting someone you need to ask yourself, "can I afford a lawsuit paying an atty $250++++++ per hour." Also don't forget about that initial retainer. Hopefully he has no kids as they will go hungry without family help if he wants to pay an atty for his defense.

BTDT and have learned a lot of what to do and what not to do.

Also for those that want to counter sue. Sounds nice but can you pay to defend yourself and file a suit at the same time. HAHAHAHAHAHA. That only will cost more money to pay an atty to sue someone that has no resources to pay you if you win. I bet the shooter can have his wages garnished more than the person that is suing him.

I hope the shooter can come up with some cash quick to get a decent atty.

chuck

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    This is a prime example of what is wrong with this society. Hopefully this good samaritan will get a judge with some common sense, and have the case tossed out at the first hearing.

I'd also like to hear a warning given to this "victim" and back it up with possible jail time if they decide to pursue any further actions.

Stupid b*tch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I heard about this a couple weeks back on the local news.

What is wrong with this person? :dunno:

Somebody did the right thing in shooting the bad guy. Now they will have to defend themselves in court.
    I just don't believe some of the things I hear anymore.

She was probably approached by an ambulance chaser and put on this track. If you are ever involved in anything that may require a lawyer your mail box will be assaulted for the local firms trolling for work. Do not ask how I know this, I just do.
    Lawyers (not all) suck until you need one.

I do not wish harm on this idiot but where would she be with out the intervention on "Her" behalf.
    Maybe a repeated palm slap (Gibbs style) in in order here but remember....people just suck.

DeltaLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    North Central Indiana
    The way things are now the woman probably would have sued him if he hadn't of shot the guy as well. Sometimes you just can't win :draw:
    :noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:
    This whole law suit is BS!! I hope the judge finds her in contempt of being a human being and biotch slaps her in the face!

:rockwoot:

Remember the store manager that shot the robber last year at Kroger? Now the employee the robber took hostage prior to the shots is suing because she was traumatized by the robber getting shot. WTH people? The mother of the robber has already filed a lawsuit. This is why companies have no firearms policies...BS lawsuits that will cost them money.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130207/NEWS/130207060/Kroger-sued-fatal-shooting-would-robber

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Don't see either of the suits going anywhere (Mother or Security Guard).

The issue with Elliott (Manager that shot robber) settled itself when he resigned. Therefore, the issue of Kroger being "put in an awkward position" was also settled when Elliott resigned.

Kroger has no such 'duty' to protect the safety of someone robbing their store. The fact that Atkinson was later found to be unarmed is, really, irrelevant.

Justifiable shooting, frivolous lawsuits.

What WOULD make sense is if the State had the ability to charge the two moronic lawyers with filing frivolous lawsuits, fine them $100k each for taking such action, revoking their licenses and having them permanently disbarred. Alas, no such law exists. Such is our current legal system.

It's unfortunate that Atkinson took a course of action that got him killed, but that was his choice.

Top Bottom