• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I'd be interested to see what you found under Kimber Target Grips.
    Pics?
    I didn't find anything like that when I did a search back in March '21
    I found these
    Not quite combat grips but look more like the target ones. It seems as the grips that fit the DAO version are not interchangeable

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found these
    Not quite combat grips but look more like the target ones. It seems as the grips that fit the DAO version are not interchangeable
    Yes, that's what I ran across when I looked today!
    I would have bought a pair of those great looking checkered wood grips when I bought the less expensive Hogue grips, but the K6s is just a tool & I didn't want to throw money at it.
    But, it's been a rough last few days & a feel like splurging on a wood set, haha!

Update: I was reading on a Kimber thread somewhere that the Altamont wood grips aren't any longer in the height of the grip, so I'm not going to take a chance on them till I know for sure.

Last edited:

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Yes, that's what I ran across when I looked today!
    I would have bought a pair of those great looking checkered wood grips when I bought the less expensive Hogue grips, but the K6s is just a tool & I didn't want to throw money at it.
    But, it's been a rough last few days & a feel like splurging on a wood set, haha!

Update: I was reading on a Kimber thread somewhere that the Altamont wood grips aren't any longer in the height of the grip, so I'm not going to take a chance on them till I know for sure.
    I think they just ride lower to give your pinky somewhere to go. Again, maybe form before function.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    thanks for showing the pic.
    It will give me the courage to order when I feel like splurging, ha ha!
    Ha ha for sure. Now to get some rounds thru it. I grew up shooting outside and am not a big fan of indoor ranges but since I live in a neighborhood, I guess I will have to. Unless I can find a desolate road by an empty field of course...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ha ha for sure. Now to get some rounds thru it. I grew up shooting outside and am not a big fan of indoor ranges but since I live in a neighborhood, I guess I will have to. Unless I can find a desolate road by an empty field of course...
    It's nothing special to shoot.
    I've shot many smoother shooting 38/357 revolvers.
    I like it because of the 6 rds
    &
    was same size as a Ruger LCR 5 rd that I had,
    plus stainless steel
    with large white dots I can see, haha!

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    It's nothing special to shoot.
    I've shot many smoother shooting 38/357 revolvers.
    I like it because of the 6 rds
    &
    was same size as a Ruger LCR 5 rd that I had,
    plus stainless steel
    with large white dots I can see, haha!
    Gotta test her out before carrying her though. I have my grandpa's old Colt Python and that is a pig to shoot but not exactly for concealed carry. I am interested to see just how much of a kick this thing has in comparison. And I have to get the wife comfortable shooting my Walther as she may take that over for carry. My eyes are still young enough for the factory white dots. WooHoo!

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    thanks for showing the pic.
    It will give me the courage to order when I feel like splurging, ha ha!
    There are are a few of these grips on gunbroker starting at $.01 that just dropped. I missed the boat on these once but they all seemed to go for $25ish. Better price than retail. I gon mine on ebay. I am not sure what modifications need to be made if any to get them to work on a DAO model but this may be a good chance to find out for you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gotta test her out before carrying her though. I have my grandpa's old Colt Python and that is a pig to shoot but not exactly for concealed carry. I am interested to see just how much of a kick this thing has in comparison. And I have to get the wife comfortable shooting my Walther as she may take that over for carry. My eyes are still young enough for the factory white dots. WooHoo!
    I bought the K6s Sept. 2019, nearly 2 yrs, so I've put plenty rounds through it,
    but,
    not as much as I would do before trusting a semi-auto.
    I love guns with the 3 big white dots b/c my eyes hate blacked out rear sights!
    My eyes really like the green fiber optics in the rear with red fiber optic in the front sight.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I bought the K6s Sept. 2019, nearly 2 yrs, so I've put plenty rounds through it,
    but,
    not as much as I would do before trusting a semi-auto.
    I love guns with the 3 big white dots b/c my eyes hate blacked out rear sights!
    My eyes really like the green fiber optics in the rear with red fiber optic in the front sight.
    So is that to say that you still would not carry the revolver over a semiauto?

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    "not carry the revolver over a semiauto"
    No, a revolver is my preference.
    I like the 3 big white dot system on the K6s that makes it easy for my eyes.
    Ahh duh me I get it now. Rereading it makes sense to me now what you meant. This holds 2 less than my semiauto but is of no consequence to me as I believe revolvers to be more reliable. Not infallible but just less prone to failure. I agree about the sights as well, they look as big as paper plates on there but in a good way

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ahh duh me I get it now. Rereading it makes sense to me now what you meant. This holds 2 less than my semiauto but is of no consequence to me as I believe revolvers to be more reliable. Not infallible but just less prone to failure. I agree about the sights as well, they look as big as paper plates on there but in a good way
    Good point.

I've always preferred a simple revolver, even with diminished capacity, over a semiauto.
    I've bought good top brand-name semiautos for CC, just to have them jam up on me & it's very disconcerting.

I don't have patience for a CC that doesn't work 100% of the time.
    It's one of the reasons I would put 100s of rounds through a CC before I trusted it.

Love the "paper plate" reference, haha!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How many shots are usually fired in a self-defense situation? I'm not talking zombies, or WWIII starting. Is a 19rd magazine needed in most self-defense situations?

I'm sure there are statistics out the you know what on this subject.

Is a 5 shot revolver out of date for a self-defense situation?

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    How many shots are usually fired in a self-defense situation? I'm not talking zombies, or WWIII starting. Is a 19rd magazine needed in most self-defense situations?

I carry a J frame from time to time, generally in situations where I know a shooting would most likely take place is very close quarters and 5 shots would probably be adequate (like a trip to the gas station). That said, I’d rather have more rounds than I need than not enough.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

FBI stats are very low reflecting only an average
    &
    many want to be prepared for the higher spectrum.
    I remember reading this somewhere designed for ease of remembrance:
    3 rds
    3 yds
    3 seconds
    It is not absolutely correct,
    but
    gives you the general idea.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Good point.

I've always preferred a simple revolver, even with diminished capacity, over a semiauto.
    I've bought good top brand-name semiautos for CC, just to have them jam up on me & it's very disconcerting.

I don't have patience for a CC that doesn't work 100% of the time.
    It's one of the reasons I would put 100s of rounds through a CC before I trusted it.

Love the "paper plate" reference, haha!
    I agree. Spending extra for quality on something you may have to trust for your life or your families only for Murphy to show up at the worst time is frustrating for sure. On the range, adrenaline is not a factor so fixing problems becomes immeasurably easier, even complicated ones

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County

A few well placed rounds vs 15 in the general direction seem quite a bit better for sure. It is all dependent on the situation isn't it? Stats are good for past events but if you are comfortable with your j-frame and know how to use it, I would not say it is out of date at all! I am sure a few thousand bad situations have been "neutralized" using them or they would not still be around. I am a believer or I would not be trading my semiauto for a revolver either

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    FBI stats are very low reflecting only an average
    &
    many want to be prepared for the higher spectrum.
    I remember reading this somewhere designed for ease of remembrance:
    3 rds
    3 yds
    3 seconds
    It is not absolutely correct,
    but
    gives you the general idea.
    Are FBI stats as reliable as other government agency stats, say the CDC?

Top Bottom