• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    According the research I've done on it, the Japanese police wanted the high-tech scandium gun, but didn't like the politics of chambering it in a "magnum" cartridge, so they requested them in .38. From what I understand, the frames are actually the same as the 360PD...just the cylinders are different. The temptation is there to swap a magnum cylinder into it, but so far I've resisted....I'm not 100% confident in my info, and frankly they're not very much fun to shoot magnum loads from anyway. For my intended use (a convenient, take with you anywhere, "get out of trouble I wasn't looking for" gun), .38+p is sufficient. I've got other options for magnums if I need them.
    I have, pretty much, the same story...and the 360J in .38 special is a fantastic little revolver to carry and shoot....it's super light-weight and accurate too!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I found a 2" K6S today after calling over 40 shops in the state. They even had more than one and were still well below MSRP! Now for some grips and the quest for a decent holster!
    As heavy as the K6S's are, I highly recommend a good leather belt...one made for gun carry!
    A good heavy-duty leather belt can go a long way in helping to carry a heavier handgun comfortably!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Had one. Liked the revolver quite a bit.

Pluses: Good looking. GREAT trigger. Good sights.

Minuses: One of the only snubbies I have ever shot that actually hurt in the way I had always heard snubbies hurt when shooting 357 magnums through it. Must be the way the backstrap is configured.

Still a great little gun!

Carry a Smith 642 sometimes these days. Carry 38+P ammo in it.

Vanguard.45

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Had one. Liked the revolver quite a bit.

Pluses: Good looking. GREAT trigger. Good sights.

Minuses: One of the only snubbies I have ever shot that actually hurt in the way I had always heard snubbies hurt when shooting 357 magnums through it. Must be the way the backstrap is configured.

Still a great little gun!

Carry a Smith 642 sometimes these days. Carry 38+P ammo in it.

Vanguard.45
    The trigger is smooth as silk for sure. Thank you for this. It may help with the grip purchase

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Any recommendations for one? That is a good idea
    For a quick 'heavy-duty' belt, I'd suggest Tractor Supply or Wally's (look for belts listed as 'heavy duty' on the tag) or for a better belt, order something off eBay? There's several on their designed specifically for 'heavy duty work' or 'ccw gun belt'...

Next up would be a good leather holster and the question there is do you prefer In-Waist-Band or Out-Waist-Band? I prefer OWB and I've used ETW Leather Holsters out of Hickory, NC a few times...they hold up for years!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Does not seem like something made for magnums. When the adrenaline is going I doubt one would notice anyhow
    In the smaller wheel-guns, (especially the scandium-framed revolvers) prefer Cor-Bon's 110 grain JHP's (Winchester also makes a 110 grain in SJHP) as they're a bit milder on felt recoil and yet are still effective in achieving adequate penetration, even when launching from a short-barreled revolver! 125 grain can be a bit harsh as is 140 grain...whereas 158, and especially 180 grain, are simply b.r.u.t.a.l.! You'd have to shoot a variety of ammo through it to see how each feels to you (felt recoil) and how accurate you are with each weight. If it makes you flinch before you fire, step down a notch so as not to negatively affect accuracy from the get-go. With a steel-framed revolver, you'll probably have some help in mitigating felt-recoil, so the 125's might work just fine!
    The right grip will also go a long way in helping to mitigate felt-recoil...choose wisely!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Any recommendations for one? That is a good idea
    I carry a P245 with a reload on a regular basis, which is by no means a light gun. About 6 months ago I replaced my old, worn-out Rafter S Gunleather belt that I've worn daily for the last 15 years. Rafter S is no longer in busines, so I decided to give the beltman (https://www.thebeltman.net/) a try. I ordered one of their quick-ship double-stitched bullhide belts, with the internal stiffener. The belt is awesome...it is very rigid and keeps the gun tight enough to eliminate any flopping around, while still being comfortable. The owner, Dave, contacted me before shipping to confirm that I had measured properly, and the belt I received fit perfectly. A+ customer service, and a top quality product made in the US.

They're kind of expensive, but IMO worth every penny. It's kind of the same philosophy I have with glasses...I have to wear them every day, so I might as well buy the best ones I can get.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I carry a P245 with a reload on a regular basis, which is by no means a light gun. About 6 months ago I replaced my old, worn-out Rafter S Gunleather belt that I've worn daily for the last 15 years. Rafter S is no longer in busines, so I decided to give the beltman (https://www.thebeltman.net/) a try. I ordered one of their quick-ship double-stitched bullhide belts, with the internal stiffener. The belt is awesome...it is very rigid and keeps the gun tight enough to eliminate any flopping around, while still being comfortable. The owner, Dave, contacted me before shipping to confirm that I had measured properly, and the belt I received fit perfectly. A+ customer service, and a top quality product made in the US.

They're kind of expensive, but IMO worth every penny. It's kind of the same philosophy I have with glasses...I have to wear them every day, so I might as well buy the best ones I can get

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County

They're kind of expensive, but IMO worth every penny. It's kind of the same philosophy I have with glasses...I have to wear them every day, so I might as well buy the best ones I can get.
    Oh man, another accessory!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    God reading that is like listening to my teenage daughter tell a story when she is excited about something! Ha
    As a 68 yr old man who wrote that review of the K6s, your comment was the funniest thing I've read all day! :lmfao:
    As a retired teacher with 5 different decades of working with teens, I would have preferred "teenage boy" to "teenage daughter." :laugh:
    I do tend to get excited about every new gun I get :rockwoot: and this Kimber has been the keeper for a 38/357 snubbie over a bevy of competitors & surviving the "trimming the safe."

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    As a 68 yr old man who wrote that review of the K6s, your comment was the funniest thing I've read all day! :lmfao:
    As a retired teacher with 5 different decades of working with teens, I would have preferred "teenage boy" to "teenage daughter." :laugh:
    I do tend to get excited about every new gun I get :rockwoot: and this Kimber has been the keeper for a 38/357 snubbie over a bevy of competitors & surviving the "trimming the safe."
    I am glad you got a kick out of that. I just found a K6S and am excited to get some rounds through it. It us good to hear that it has continuously been a keeper with real world use.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Does anyone have any real world reviews on the Kimber K6S? I have been thinking of a revolver for my next purchase and have looked at everything from new/old S&w to the Chiappa Rhino, Ruger SP101 etc. I think the K6S has everything I want. It has been next to impossible to find a 2" barrel for less than MSRP but I am not in dire need of one and can hold out for a deal. I really like the DCR model but wonder if it is just as cost effective to build one from a base model. Also wondering if the DASA model is really worth it for such a short barrel. It will be a carry gun and not a target shooter. Hope to hear some good honest not paid for reviews. Thanks.
    Seems I’m a little late to the party on this one but I recently purchased a 2” K6S and have 100 rounds through it. It’s definitely a keeper, but I would recommend a set of rubber grips that cover the back strap. The recoil adds up even with the added weight. I’m probably going to get the Crimson Trace Control Core grips for mine. They appear to be a little bulky but it’s not a pocket carry for me and I like the fact that they accommodate the pinky.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Seems I’m a little late to the party on this one but I recently purchased a 2” K6S and have 100 rounds through it. It’s definitely a keeper, but I would recommend a set of rubber grips that cover the back strap. The recoil adds up even with the added weight. I’m probably going to get the Crimson Trace Control Core grips for mine. They appear to be a little bulky but it’s not a pocket carry for me and I like the fact that they accommodate the pinky.
    Thank you for this. I may give those a shot. I just bought a set of target grips and am waiting for them to arrive to address the pinky issue. I am not usually form over function but I think the wood looks so nice on them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At first I didn't mind the 2 finger grip, but after I shot it more I wanted more purchase, therefore I got these last March:
    - K6s Control Core Grips
    - SKU: 4100159
    - better recoil management and comfort.
    - grip envelops the backstrap area of the frame
    - low durometer rubber
    - constructed in a semi-waffle patter
    - helps reduce shock during recoil
    - increases contact area with the hand for better traction.
    - $29.99 + $6 shipping

old grips on top of new grips:
    back of both grips.jpg

old grips on top of new grips installed:
    old grip on top of new grip.jpg

old grips, only 2 fingers:
    old grips no pinky purchase.jpg

new grips installed, pinky happy:
    holding new grip wPinky.jpg

61559-6d0bcd14d54af7eebe0f5b8ddaa01fdb.jpg

There were some grips that were $60 that had some color to them but didn't cover the metal backstrap.
    I was going for utility.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for this. I may give those a shot. I just bought a set of target grips and am waiting for them to arrive to address the pinky issue. I am not usually form over function but I think the wood looks so nice on them.
    I'd be interested to see what you found under Kimber Target Grips.
    Pics?
    I didn't find anything like that when I did a search back in March '21

Top Bottom