• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Does anyone have any real world reviews on the Kimber K6S? I have been thinking of a revolver for my next purchase and have looked at everything from new/old S&w to the Chiappa Rhino, Ruger SP101 etc. I think the K6S has everything I want. It has been next to impossible to find a 2" barrel for less than MSRP but I am not in dire need of one and can hold out for a deal. I really like the DCR model but wonder if it is just as cost effective to build one from a base model. Also wondering if the DASA model is really worth it for such a short barrel. It will be a carry gun and not a target shooter. Hope to hear some good honest not paid for reviews. Thanks.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I had a 3" DAO version K6S for a while...great revolver, great DAO trigger, accurate, 6 shots, etc.
    The problem I had was that it was heavy...felt like I was carrying a steel Officer's Model 1911.
    I ended up selling it and getting a S&W 360 J-Frame in .357 magnum...5 shots instead of 6, but much easier to carry and conceal (weight-wise) and is much more comfortable for all day carry!
    Since then, I've picked up a S&W 340 DAO in .357 magnum for pocket carry (when needed) and, the best part is, everything matches (sights, grips, holsters, speed-loaders, etc.)

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Here's a thread from a while back.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I was thinking that if I need the gun as intended, would I regret not spending the extra cash for the extra round. I do not typically pocket carry so the weight issue is negligible to me. I will take a look at that S&w 340.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Here's a thread from a while back.
    God reading that is like listening to my teenage daughter tell a story when she is excited about something! Ha

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've handled the K6S but never had the opportunity to shoot one. It felt good in the hand, the trigger was pretty good, and I did like the sights. Weight wise it was very similar to my SP101...which means kinda heavy for a small revolver. IMO the trigger was better that my Ruger was out of the box, but now that I've polished up the internals on my SP101, they are about the same. The extra round is nice, but not enough to compell me to sell the Ruger and replace it with the more expensive Kimber...especially since I'm very accurate with the Ruger already.

The Kimber, like my Ruger, would have to be a belt gun. It's too bulky and heavy for pocket carry. That said, if you're ok carrying it on a belt, it would likely carry very nicely. I use my SP101 as a trail gun when backpacking (it's a 3".357), and with a good holster you barely even feel it. The weight and size are just right for shooting .357...not too much weight to carry around, but enough to keep magnum rounds from being painful. I could shoot them all day out of my SP101 with no complaints, and I imagine the Kimber would be very similar.

Like Amishman44, I opted for the S&W 360 for a pocket gun (although mine is the cheaper 360J in .38+p, not .357). It's slimmer and lighter than either the Ruger or the Kimber, and rides nicely in a pocket. I can even get away with carrying it in athletic shorts, as long as I'm not running. The steel Kimber or SP101 would have my pants around my ankles of I tried to do that :laugh:!

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I've handled the K6S but never had the opportunity to shoot one. It felt good in the hand, the trigger was pretty good, and I did like the sights. Weight wise it was very similar to my SP101...which means kinda heavy for a small revolver. IMO the trigger was better that my Ruger was out of the box, but now that I've polished up the internals on my SP101, they are about the same. The extra round is nice, but not enough to compell me to sell the Ruger and replace it with the more expensive Kimber...especially since I'm very accurate with the Ruger already.

The Kimber, like my Ruger, would have to be a belt gun. It's too bulky and heavy for pocket carry. That said, if you're ok carrying it on a belt, it would likely carry very nicely. I use my SP101 as a trail gun when backpacking (it's a 3".357), and with a good holster you barely even feel it. The weight and size are just right for shooting .357...not too much weight to carry around, but enough to keep magnum rounds from being painful. I could shoot them all day out of my SP101 with no complaints, and I imagine the Kimber would be very similar.

Like Amishman44, I opted for the S&W 360 for a pocket gun (although mine is the cheaper 360J in .38+p, not .357). It's slimmer and lighter than either the Ruger or the Kimber, and rides nicely in a pocket. I can even get away with carrying it in athletic shorts, as long as I'm not running. The steel Kimber or SP101 would have my pants around my ankles of I tried to do that :laugh:!
    Thanks for this. Did you do the work on the internals on your SP101 yourself? If you did not have the Ruger already and both were sitting side by side as the prices are, would you still pick the Ruger over the Kimber?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Thanks for this. Did you do the work on the internals on your SP101 yourself? If you did not have the Ruger already and both were sitting side by side as the prices are, would you still pick the Ruger over the Kimber?
    Yeah I did. They're pretty easy. I stayed away from any engagement surfaces and just polished the mainspring strut and and the sides of some of the parts to eliminate rubbing on the frame. The mainspring strut was really rough from the factory, so just doing that alone cleaned up the pull significantly.

If I didn't already have the Ruger, it would be a tough call. I like the sights on the Kimber, and the 6th round is nice...but I'm also kinda inclined to think that if I can't get it done with 5, 6 isn't going to help. I really like the Ruger...it's an excellent gun...well balanced and accurate.

I just checked the MSRPs on both...and kinda got sticker shock. The Ruger is $859 and the Kimber is $985. IMO both of those are outrageous (I know I was less than $600 OTD brand new on my Ruger). But yeah, I'd probably pay $124 more for the 6th round and the better sights...with the sights being the real deal maker. Ruger does offer a Wiley Clapp version of the SP101 with dovetail Novak sights, but I'm not sure how the price on that one compares to the Kimber, or if you can even find one these days.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    My wife has one. Bought when they first came out. Matter of fact my LGS said he didn’t have it in the glass for more than 10 minutes. Anyway, I’ve taken it to the range with her and fired it about 100 times. It’s heavier than the competitors for sure however I feel like it absorbs more than other revolvers. The recoil wasn’t as bad as the lighter ones either. I kept hers and we shoot it ever once in awhile. She carries a glock.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Yeah I did. They're pretty easy. I stayed away from any engagement surfaces and just polished the mainspring strut and and the sides of some of the parts to eliminate rubbing on the frame. The mainspring strut was really rough from the factory, so just doing that alone cleaned up the pull significantly.

If I didn't already have the Ruger, it would be a tough call. I like the sights on the Kimber, and the 6th round is nice...but I'm also kinda inclined to think that if I can't get it done with 5, 6 isn't going to help. I really like the Ruger...it's an excellent gun...well balanced and accurate.

I just checked the MSRPs on both...and kinda got sticker shock. The Ruger is $859 and the Kimber is $985. IMO both of those are outrageous (I know I was less than $600 OTD brand new on my Ruger). But yeah, I'd probably pay $124 more for the 6th round and the better sights...with the sights being the real deal maker. Ruger does offer a Wiley Clapp version of the SP101 with dovetail Novak sights, but I'm not sure how the price on that one compares to the Kimber, or if you can even find one these days.
    Thank you for this. The Ruger is a real close second for me. If I go that route, I may pester you for more details on cleaning up the machining. They are going for a premium now for sure. I have called 20 gun shops, some not so local and I have only come across 2 Kimber with a 2" barrel. The Ruger is quickly climbing in price as well. At least Kimber has the "We are moving out of commie NY" and are setting up shop and starting with all new employees excuse. Thanks again for your advice here

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    My wife has one. Bought when they first came out. Matter of fact my LGS said he didn’t have it in the glass for more than 10 minutes. Anyway, I’ve taken it to the range with her and fired it about 100 times. It’s heavier than the competitors for sure however I feel like it absorbs more than other revolvers. The recoil wasn’t as bad as the lighter ones either. I kept hers and we shoot it ever once in awhile. She carries a glock.
    I think I am going to have to hope to find one as soon as they put it out like you did. I have found a few 3" jobs but hardly any 2". They are at a premium now on top of everything else for sure. If you find yourself wanting to get rid of it and it is a 2" barrel, let me know! I am happy to hear the recoil is lower than the other guys. I know S&W Airwieghts are nice, just not for me.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If I go that route, I may pester you for more details on cleaning up the machining.
    Sure thing! It pretty easy, and just about impossible to screw anything up so long as you stay off of the sear surfaces.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the SP101...it does have a tendency to build up crud between the arbor and the cylinder...enough that cylinder rotation will start to get sticky after 50-100 rounds. This impacts the DA trigger pull, as the cylinder has to rotate when you pull the trigger. I'm not sure why this particular gun is so susceptible to this...none of my other revolvers do this, not even my other Ruger's.

It's an easy fix...just clean it regularly. And they are very easy to take down for cleaning. Just figured it's something that might impact you decision.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Sure thing! It pretty easy, and just about impossible to screw anything up so long as you stay off of the sear surfaces.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the SP101...it does have a tendency to build up crud between the arbor and the cylinder...enough that cylinder rotation will start to get sticky after 50-100 rounds. This impacts the DA trigger pull, as the cylinder has to rotate when you pull the trigger. I'm not sure why this particular gun is so susceptible to this...none of my other revolvers do this, not even my other Ruger's.

It's an easy fix...just clean it regularly. And they are very easy to take down for cleaning. Just figured it's something that might impact you decision.
    Right on thanks! I love those little bits of information they don't tell you in reviews

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I also have a 360J in .38 Special (my first J-Frame revolver)...and I absolutely love it for both it's lighter weight (something like 13 oz.) and it's accuracy with a 1.78" barrel!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I looked just a little on that 360j and it seems like an oddball for S&W. The prices are as high as a SP 101 on GB.
    Yeah, story is they were overruns from a Japanese police order. Back when S&W was selling them new, they were a great value...I paid $414 + tax for mine. Ordered it through the LGS, too, so there wasn't even a transfer fee. These days everything is stupid.

EODFXSTI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Yeah, story is they were overruns from a Japanese police order. Back when S&W was selling them new, they were a great value...I paid $414 + tax for mine. Ordered it through the LGS, too, so there wasn't even a transfer fee. These days everything is stupid.
    There are currently 8 on GB right now and there is one that says it is a Japanese police gun. It is different than the other 7. Sounds like a mystery to me!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    According the research I've done on it, the Japanese police wanted the high-tech scandium gun, but didn't like the politics of chambering it in a "magnum" cartridge, so they requested them in .38. From what I understand, the frames are actually the same as the 360PD...just the cylinders are different. The temptation is there to swap a magnum cylinder into it, but so far I've resisted....I'm not 100% confident in my info, and frankly they're not very much fun to shoot magnum loads from anyway. For my intended use (a convenient, take with you anywhere, "get out of trouble I wasn't looking for" gun), .38+p is sufficient. I've got other options for magnums if I need them.

Top Bottom