• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Back in Ohio I was on two juries - 1 civil and 1 criminal. A lawyer friend of mine told me I'd never make the cut, since I had a beard and they would think I was an anarchist.

Civil - During selection we nearly had everyone needed and the judge asked who in the pool had important work or events they did not want to miss. She let them go. Still too many, so she asked who did just not want to be there, and let more go. By then we had our 8 and 2. After the trial evidence admission let us down, as we had seen a photo of the front of the car with no damage, which rendered the defendant's case impossible, but that particular photo was not admitted as evidence. We were done in two days.

Criminal - a capital murder case. Drug robbery gone wrong, lots of bloody photos and a Tec-9. Started off with a pool of 60 potential jurors, and when selection was done there were 2 left. Judge let some guy off for work, and that moved me from alternate to the jury. Took 3 days for the trial, then sequestered for the verdict. The only thing we had in common was the trail and the only thing we couldn't talk about was the trail. Played a lot of spades that night. A week later we were back for the sentencing phase. Took all day, and we were sequestered again overnight. Came back with life without parole. The judge complimented us on a job well done, and gave us more background, such as a previous trial of a co-defendant came up with the same verdict and sentence.
    As an interesting addition, I had given blood about a week before and the miserable phlebotomist went through the vein and into the nerve below. The numbness lasted for years, but also gave them a false positive for syphilis on a preliminary test. They sent a letter to my home informing me of this, and that they would be doing further testing (which came up negative). That letter happened to arrive while I was sequestered, and my wife opened it. She was shocked, but couldn't call me because I was sequestered. Made for an interesting homecoming. Timing is everything.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    This was probably a grand jury. Yes, those can be interesting, and are supposed to be even more secretive.

It was, and we would try to bait him into telling us details, he did not. They indicted a couple of NWI politicians and gang members.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Well today was better than yesterday. Felt it went by much faster. It's nice getting out before 5pm. Hopefully the rest of the week will be as fast. Atleast the U.S. Marshalls are funny and interact with us.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Also, went through my work contract and found out that I will be paid the difference from the company between Jury Pay and my Standard Hourly Wage Rate. So its a plus and makes this all less stressful.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Also, went through my work contract and found out that I will be paid the difference from the company between Jury Pay and my Standard Hourly Wage Rate. So its a plus and makes this all less stressful.

What union? IAM wont pay the difference for me unfortunately.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Yes, take pride in this responsibility and do your best. Think of it as a privilege to be a part of the process. I was called and selected for my first jury duty a couple of years ago. It was really interesting and I don't regret missing work for those 4 days.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I did jury duty and it was an interesting experience. Pretty cut and dry. 2 defendants on a murder trial. We had one juror who 'just knew one guy was guilty, he felt it in his gut'. It sucked because we all felt the same way, but evidence proved otherwise. Eventually we all agreed on the evidence. As one juror put it, "I can convict guy A and sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. But if I convict guy B, I can't sleep at night, wondering if I really made the right choice".
    When you give your verdict, and the guy gives a fist pump, screaming 'Yes!', it's not a good feeling I assure you.
    4 days of court, and then deliberations, only to have everyone tell you 'you did the right thing', because they had known all along (this was a 2nd trial after the first got thrown out).

My wife had a drastically different experience... guy was on trial for murder. He'd been held for over a year, evidence was botched... even then, it was somewhat circumstantial given her account after the fact. When they read their verdict, the poor guy broke down in tears.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Yes, take pride in this responsibility and do your best. Think of it as a privilege to be a part of the process. I was called and selected for my first jury duty a couple of years ago. It was really interesting and I don't regret missing work for those 4 days.

Yea I am taking it with pride. Definitely Interesting seeing how lawyers do their job. I won't miss work at all knowing I'm getting paid for it. And the mileage I get paid is .54 a mile.

My only caveat(not sure if right word ) is should I make logs for mileage or do they use my address to find out mileage?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    one additional note on the lawyers at my trial. The prosecutor was also at my wife's trial where she served on.
    The dude remembered EVERYTHING. like spooky...

I even specifically asked him what all of our names were after the trial was over, and he pointed to and recounted each jurors first and last name without hesitation. It was bizarre.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea I am taking it with pride. Definitely Interesting seeing how lawyers do their job. I won't miss work at all knowing I'm getting paid for it. And the mileage I get paid is .54 a mile.

My only caveat(not sure if right word ) is should I make logs for mileage or do they use my address to find out mileage?

I would grab a notebook and write down the start/stop odometer readings for each day. reconcile that against what they pay you to keep them honest. (and if they arent, decide if its worth fighting over based on the amount of the discrepancy)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I think they use google maps and figure it out by address. I didn't have to turn anything in for it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    one additional note on the lawyers at my trial. The prosecutor was also at my wife's trial where she served on.
    The dude remembered EVERYTHING. like spooky...

I even specifically asked him what all of our names were after the trial was over, and he pointed to and recounted each jurors first and last name without hesitation. It was bizarre.

If you recall, post his name. :) Dude's a professional.

Behind the scenes, jury selection feels incredibly important when you're going through it. I always wonder if it maybe isn't as important as lawyers think it is, but in the moment, it feels like you're winning or losing the trial with every question, with every choice of who to select or strike.

Especially during and immediately after trial, I'm not surprised he could remember the names. Now, a week later, or after his next jury selection, probably not. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Y
    Yea, this is my first time ever being in a court room aside from being married and the two environments do not compare (obviously).

I'm not sure about that being so different... there is a plea phase (I do) and a sentencing phase (till death do you part and I pronounce...) seems like exactly the same thing to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Behind the scenes, jury selection feels incredibly important when you're going through it. I always wonder if it maybe isn't as important as lawyers think it is, but in the moment, it feels like you're winning or losing the trial with every question, with every choice of who to select or strike.

Especially during and immediately after trial, I'm not surprised he could remember the names. Now, a week later, or after his next jury selection, probably not. :)

In Lake County, we started using juror numbers years ago and we never see their names....I wonder why.

When this first started, during voir dire I was asking questions and I turned to a juror and said: "juror 15, if that is your real name,...." I mean it's not hilarious, but not even a mercy chuckle.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

I do not recall, and don't recognize him in any photos on in.gov's site. This was back around '99 or so.
    All I recall was having Judge Altice presiding. He claimed we smoking jurors lucked out because he was the only smoking judge on staff and would allow cigarette breaks. :)

Top Bottom