Osceola
    09804a683cd36d5fb929c2f687c4fc0a.jpg

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Well, today was the first time i was called for Jury Duty, and I was selected. I have never done it before and the paper they send to the house said most trials last 1-2 days. Well after we were selected, the Judge says the case is going to last 7 days. So i am pretty pissed off as I am missing work for at least 4 of those days which will leave me out of about 900 dollars in wages for missing work. But its OK they are paying me 40 dollars/ day. Plus on top of driving to Hammond from Portage... Which is about a 30 minute drive.

As I was sitting on the jury bench, I was hoping to not get picked, but answered questions truthfully. After I got picked I do feel a sense of pride for serving as a Jury since its my Civic Duty as a citizen.

Thank you for your service and for not being a whiney a$$ ***** about the money, although I very definitely sympathize. Jury duty should not impose that kind of financial hardship on people.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    OP, just remember that you not only have the right, but the duty, in Indiana to judge not just the facts of the case, but the law, as well. If the law is unjust you can, and should return a not guilty verdict to nullify the law. The Indiana Constitution holds it up.

Article 1, Section 19. In all criminal cases whatever, the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    I was on one 2 years ago that allowed us to put one sick SOB in jail for 40 yrs. I felt really good . And my job pays me and I keep the jury pay . Hell I was hoping to be sequestered .

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    OP, just remember that you not only have the right, but the duty, in Indiana to judge not just the facts of the case, but the law, as well. If the law is unjust you can, and should return a not guilty verdict to nullify the law. The Indiana Constitution holds it up.

He is in federal court.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've served on a few, back when we lived in Marion County. One was a bank robbery, and took a few days. Got a mistrial, as one of the jurors eventually said he would NEVER convict anyone, regardless of the evidence, because all cops were crooked. He was the only hold-out, as the rest of the jury felt the verdict was pretty obvious. Turns out, the guy had been convicted of several other bank robberies in other states, but THAT little fact couldn't be mentioned.

Wonder what that juror's INGO handle is?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Jury duty is a joke, plan on a plea deal the last day just to prove what a waist of your time it is...

I was waiting for that while we deliberated, but the prosecutor was dead set on an outright conviction as it turns out. You never know.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I got a letter once. I wrote a letter back explaining I couldn't afford to miss work. I never got selected so I guess it worked. But I really couldnt afford it at the time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, today was the first time i was called for Jury Duty, and I was selected. I have never done it before and the paper they send to the house said most trials last 1-2 days. Well after we were selected, the Judge says the case is going to last 7 days. So i am pretty pissed off as I am missing work for at least 4 of those days which will leave me out of about 900 dollars in wages for missing work. But its OK they are paying me 40 dollars/ day. Plus on top of driving to Hammond from Portage... Which is about a 30 minute drive.

As I was sitting on the jury bench, I was hoping to not get picked, but answered questions truthfully. After I got picked I do feel a sense of pride for serving as a Jury since its my Civic Duty as a citizen.

I know you know this, but don't talk about the case out here. After the case is done, we can talk.

I think you are serving a couple of hundred yards from where I sit now.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    A buddy of mine from work got selected for Federal jury duty. It lasted 6 months where he had to travel to Hammond Federal court 1 to 2 days per week. It was ok the first few months, then it got real old. He did see some interesting stuff though.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A buddy of mine from work got selected for Federal jury duty. It lasted 6 months where he had to travel to Hammond Federal court 1 to 2 days per week. It was ok the first few months, then it got real old. He did see some interesting stuff though.

This was probably a grand jury. Yes, those can be interesting, and are supposed to be even more secretive.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I was able to get out of JD the last time I was called, due to work. Turns out I knew all about the case once I was able to look into it. I'm glad I didn't stay.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got a letter for jury duty in the federal court a couple of months ago. I think the time frame for me to be called is almost over. It listed several different courts I could be required to travel to...none of which are close to my home. I think the closest is at least an hour away.

I have only had to report for the selection process twice in the local court but wasn't chosen either time. One was settled before they had the jury picked. The other jury was filled before I was ever questioned.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I got a letter for federal jury duty....in 1999. I sent back the form with the box checked that says: "Are you an attorney who regularly practices in this Court", and I haven't heard from them since.

:p

Top Bottom