Jury duty questionnaire seems intrusive and odd.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Those thoughts seem to be at odds, but ok.

You *do* know financial hardship is a reason for dismissal without having to play **** you games, right? Or are we still in gov't as the borg mode?

I've no issue with jury pay being increased, hell even better food, but I also know how strapped the court systems are. "Court fees" in criminal court are a joke, I don't know what percentage of defendants are found indigent for the purposes of fees, but my personal observations in the courtroom in Marion Co is it's damn near everyone.
    Oh, so it's OUR fault you arent busting enough rich folks that can afford those fees?

Work on it!
    :p :laugh:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I’m curious if these questions are needed for a fair jury and if so does that make all juries previous to the introduction of these questions invalid? If not, how did the previous juries keep from being invalidated from the lack of these highly accurate means of gathering an impartial jury. Either the questionnaires provide the only usable means to get an impartial jury or it doesn’t. :dunno:

Frankly, I think the "do you know any of the parties or lawyers involved" is a better question than "what organizations do you belong to", but you won't get to that until questioning in person.

And, sorry if I've been more of an ******* than normal or than was required. I'm holed up sick with a fever and not at my best braining right now.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Frankly, I think the "do you know any of the parties or lawyers involved" is a better question than "what organizations do you belong to", but you won't get to that until questioning in person.

And, sorry if I've been more of an ******* than normal or than was required. I'm holed up sick with a fever and not at my best braining right now.
    So the flying tube of death is trying to get you after all. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You *do* know financial hardship is a reason for dismissal without having to play **** you games, right? Or are we still in gov't as the borg mode?

I've no issue with jury pay being increased, hell even better food, but I also know how strapped the court systems are. "Court fees" in criminal court are a joke, I don't know what percentage of defendants are found indigent for the purposes of fees, but my personal observations in the courtroom in Marion Co is it's damn near everyone.
    I mean. The government IS the borg. Let's not pretend it's not.

But, to be a civil society, even with our borg government such as it is, we do need a justice system, and since "justice" is in the name, we probably oughtta make the effort to make it just. Jury duty implies some hardships. But if people are looking for excuses to get out of jury duty (obviously there are some legitimate excuses) using any old excuse, I wouldn't want them at my trial.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Can’t even remember what all I said in mine, just remember having to show up in court. Looked like over 100 was in there. Was guy about 20 accused of molesting 14 year old boys. Going to be he said with no real evidence. Judge asked if anyone knew the defendent. Guy raised his hand and judge asked what and how he knew him. Guy said he is a neighbor and known a long time and I think he did it! Almost in a mad statement. Judge told him to leave. I figured that damaged the entire pool of us. But no, the circus was just getting started. First group up on stand they then asked any of you don’t want to be here? This poor woman raised her hand. I felt terriable for her as she said she had been molested as a kid and didn’t want to be there. Instead of excusing her they battered her for like 10 minutes. You could feel the tension and her discomfort talking about it. It was painful to listen to, finally judge let her go….. after all that. I felt judge, prosecuter and public defender were all a**holes how they treated her. After 3 groups they had all the jury picked. And I was in that last group. They asked a guy if he could would vote guilty or something like that, he said you prove he did I will convict in a heartbeat. I thought we’ll he is gone,,, they picked him. They asked me if I would hold it against the defendent if he didn’t testify. I said it’s his Constitutional right not to and it should never be held against a defendent. I was not chosen. I went in kinda hoping to be on the jury but by the time I got to group three I was hoping I wouldn’t get picked and was happy to get out of there. The 20 year old got convicted.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I shouldn't have licked all those door knobs.

I was fine for two days after we got back, I think somebody at work gave me the creeping grungies.
    Sounds like the Euro-germs got ya!

Back to topic: my wife has always wanted to be called for jury duty. She's never even gotten a questionnaire, let alone showed up at the court house.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Your definition of hardship is most likely not the same as mine, nor the guy standing next to you. It’s a term too easy to be abused. I’m sure it’s use is objective. Now if it is defined by clear dollar amounts of income and debt, then it is clear to everyone where that line is.

those thoughts are not at odds. You make $15 an hour in your regular job, that’s your expected pay for being a juror. You make $200 an hour on your regular job, that’s your expected pay for jury duty. If you’re jealous of the juror getting $200 an hour, then you need to change your work circumstances so you are the $200 per hour guy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I consider jury duty a serious matter. The outcome of the trial is going to have a significant impact on the lives of everyone involved. I have been called multiple times but have never served. The first time, my doctor had me medically excused as I was going through a miscarriage. All but one other time, I got a call the day before or the day I was to report saying the trial had been rescheduled or cancelled due to a plea agreement being signed. I did report once but wasn't chosen as they got the number of jurors they needed before I got up on the stand to be questioned.

I do know my employer pays us the difference between what the court pays and our regular pay so we are not out any income when called to serve. I have a lot of respect for the man I work for.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    This got more interesting than I figured. Thanks for all the responses.

I have no idea what they may or may not do with the responses to the questions. It makes me nervous, because general I am very distrustful of government whether they are the Borg or not! Mostly because "they", the people it is made of (and we know how corrupt, malicious and arbitrary people can be) have tremendous power and realistically, almost no accountability to a common person.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This got more interesting than I figured. Thanks for all the responses.

I have no idea what they may or may not do with the responses to the questions. It makes me nervous, because general I am very distrustful of government whether they are the Borg or not! Mostly because "they", the people it is made of (and we know how corrupt, malicious and arbitrary people can be) have tremendous power and realistically, almost no accountability to a common person.
    Just what do you expect them to do with this information to harm you? And aside from maybe where you go to church and what your hobbies are, do you really think that the government doesn't know anything about you? Do you have a driver's license or state ID? Do you file a 1040? Do you own a home? Have utilities in your name? Do you travel on public roads? Filled out a 4473 to buy a gun? Have a hunting/fishing license? Registered a vehicle? Have a bank account? Have a social security number?

If the Borg were as malicious as people think it is, you'd already be in jail for daring to post something they don't like on the internet.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think it's kind of funny how many people think "the government" is basically the borg and if one entity has some info they all have it. Shockingly enough, we don't all have access to each other's records, or even know what all records other entities maintain, and there are actually rules about accessing information. Shocking, I know, when you view the gov't as both an amorphous omnipotent being while simultaneously being the most inept ineffective entity to ever exist.
    IKR.

Anyone working with govt entities know how discombobulated, incompetent, and incredibly slow they can be.
    The govt. isn't a cabal of shadowy figures controlling all; more like a daycare center.

As to jury duty, it's ironic that so many highly patriotic individuals try to so hard to avoid it.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    As to jury duty, it's ironic that so many highly patriotic individuals try to so hard to avoid it.
    I don't fall into that group. However, how can you say it is ironic if it's possible you don't understand why someone would want to avoid it? I often find it useful to examine my assumptions when there is something that I don't understand.

Top Bottom