Jury duty questionnaire seems intrusive and odd.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I would just fill out what I was comfortable with. Not my job to make voir dire easier for the lawyers. Self check out for trials. They have questions, they can ask me.
    I was told by a lawyer friend years ago that I would never make it on a jury because I had a beard. They would automatically assume I was an anarchist and cut me. But I got on two in Ohio - civil suit and capital murder.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would just fill out what I was comfortable with. Not my job to make voir dire easier for the lawyers. Self check out for trials. They have questions, they can ask me.
    I was told by a lawyer friend years ago that I would never make it on a jury because I had a beard. They would automatically assume I was an anarchist and cut me. But I got on two in Ohio - civil suit and capital murder.
    Never underestimate the fact that there is usually someone more objectionable and that there are 2 sides trying to lean the jury their way.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As a private citizen, it’s none of their da#& business. Just by asking they are infringing on my religious freedom.
    Now that is an interesting take. Is that true if any arm of the government asks, or only for this case?

Hough already pointed out an actual scenario where the information was relevant.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I did not want to serve I always just used the “only god shall judge” .
    You normally can work it in during questioning At some point. here it looks like they are asking the questions on paper not in court.

Just sign it and send it in. Any questions you don’t want to answer do not answer. Exercise your ”NO“ muscle.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My understanding was that the lawyers have a pretty broad latitude in jury selection questions. All that sounds like things you could be asked on the stand anyway. Some of the questions are obvious fishing for dumb/combative people.

No reason to overshare, but no reason to lie. It'll just come out in jury selection and waste everyone's time.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Remember, if it's a criminal trial the accused has rights, the juror has none. They can incarcerate you without any charge (sequester), ask you anything and invade your privacy. The lawyers and judge can assume that because you go to the same church or belong to the same club you are biased. They can't treat the accused as badly as they treat jurors.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My name has never been drawn for a jury pool but I know I'll never serve on a murder trial jury, and probably not a gun related case.

I had a close friend murdered in his own living room just a few years ago by someone using a firearm they stole from an unlocked car just two houses away from my friend.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We can all make excuses and try to get out of it. That said, if any of us are in a self defense trial, who do we want on the jury? Only those not smart enough to figure out how to not be on a jury?

If I'm in a self defense/murder trial, I'm gonna want some of you on the jury. I'm hoping that you are gonna want to be there.

:twocents:

Top Bottom