Jury duty questionnaire seems intrusive and odd.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We can all make excuses and try to get out of it. That said, if any of us are in a self defense trial, who do we want on the jury? Only those not smart enough to figure out how to not be on a jury?

If I'm in a self defense/murder trial, I'm gonna want some of you on the jury. I'm hoping that you are gonna want to be there.

:twocents:

It is a bit funny how much people complain about prosecutors and the CJ system in general but the notion of being involved with civic duty for a few days is simply too onerous.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Now that is an interesting take. Is that true if any arm of the government asks, or only for this case?

Hough already pointed out an actual scenario where the information was relevant.
    Sep of church and state. I don’t need to tell any branch of the government my religious status.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sep of church and state. I don’t need to tell any branch of the government my religious status.
    You should if they are trying somebody working for a large church that you could be a member of. They're asking if you go to church/ "A" church if the case is going to be church related.

I dont see anything overly intrusive. I've been asked 99% of those questions in person as I waited downtown to be called back.
    Answering all of the questions could mean they tell you to continue on with your life instead of wasting an entire morning as you get into the jury booth for the final round and they ask you the question there. Me? Mine was a theft from a vehicle case. I was dismissed by the defense because I have been a victim of that crime multiple times over. If I could have told them that a month earlier and not have to show up, I would have.

And besides, they dont keep these questionnaires. After they are done they get shredded.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    All citizens should have the burden of jury duty, not just registered voters. It’s a poor excuse for our legal system. Jurors regular daily pay should also be part of serving. It can be added to the normal court costs. When you have jurors pissed about missing regular pay, you’re not doing the defendant any favors for an impartial jury. Just laying out a little reality when a jury is setting in the conference room deciding whether you get life or the death penalty on a case.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Service to others tends not to be.
    The politicians do service but get a hefty compensation.

I'm going to expound. I get the purpose of this. i just don't agree with us being told it's service. Some people need to have a means to live. I'm fortunate enough that my company actually pays me to on jury duty. I'm not speaking for my behalf.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nice assumption that I'll be in one.
    Nice assumption that you actually have FULL control over that. Sometimes :poop: just happens to good people.

Remember that you dont get to control when/where a bad guy decides you're a target. YOU dont get to decide whether you are going to have to shoot somebody in self defense and maybe its a civil trial by his family. (assuming its not here where its nullified) Or Maybe its not clear cut and you are put on trial unjustly and have to PROVE your innocence.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Nice assumption that you actually have FULL control over that. Sometimes :poop: just happens to good people.

Remember that you dont get to control when/where a bad guy decides you're a target. YOU dont get to decide whether you are going to have to shoot somebody in self defense and maybe its a civil trial by his family. (assuming its not here where its nullified) Or Maybe its not clear cut and you are put on trial unjustly and have to PROVE your innocence.

And you think I don't know that? nice assumption there again. **** happens, it's given. I have one life to live. I deal with it as I go along and don't assume anything. You should try that. Going back to the pay. It's still low. Not very many people have income like yours.

BTW, as for civil suit https://www.indystar.com/story/news...ng-indianas-stand-your-ground-law/3589313002/

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You could still do that, just have to be a little more picky about which letters you're cutting out.
    With my handwriting, they'd probably prefer the "ransom note format."

I'd like to be on a jury. Back in my USAF days I was selected to be on a Court-Martial panel (what they call juries in Military trials.) The day it was to start the defendant opted for judge only.

A few years back I was going to be on a jury here in Hendricks County. Day before I got a call, the defendant copped a plea.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    With my handwriting, they'd probably prefer the "ransom note format."

I'd like to be on a jury. Back in my USAF days I was selected to be on a Court-Martial panel (what they call juries in Military trials.) The day it was to start the defendant opted for judge only.

A few years back I was going to be on a jury here in Hendricks County. Day before I got a call, the defendant copped a plea.
    My girlfriend got a jury questionnaire like the one in this thread.

I've been registered to vote since I turned 18 and have never once even had the chance to be selected.

I like to think I would enjoy the process - especially being self-employed and able to devote the time to being on the jury / not losing pay over it. I do also really enjoy law / trials / how it all works.

Then again I'm sure I'd get excluded for some reason or I'd end up on something really mundane.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And you think I don't know that? nice assumption there again. **** happens, it's given. I have one life to live. I deal with it as I go along and don't assume anything. You should try that. Going back to the pay. It's still low. Not very many people have income like yours.

BTW, as for civil suit https://www.indystar.com/story/news...ng-indianas-stand-your-ground-law/3589313002/
    Two things you missed/assumed.
    I pointed out that you may be out of state where the strong law you referenced doesnt apply. I hope this never happens to you. And if it does, I hope it happens here so you get that protection.

Also I am sure I make WAAAAAAAY less than you assume. My family of 4 income is still in the 5 figure range. I think you have confused me with the likes of the big dollar crowd here.

And to be clear there is no animosity here. My matter of fact delivery is sometimes mistaken for being an a-hole. Sure, I can be one, but not all the time. (and not now) :):

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Two things you missed/assumed.
    I pointed out that you may be out of state where the strong law you referenced doesnt apply. I hope this never happens to you. And if it does, I hope it happens here so you get that protection.

Also I am sure I make WAAAAAAAY less than you assume. My family of 4 income is still in the 5 figure range. I think you have confused me with the likes of the big dollar crowd here.

And to be clear there is no animosity here. My matter of fact delivery is sometimes mistaken for being an a-hole. Sure, I can be one, but not all the time. (and not now) :):

You still make more than the janitor though, so I'm right about that. And I do get the interwebz chatting environment, so I never take it deeper than it is.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As a private citizen, it’s none of their da#& business. Just by asking they are infringing on my religious freedom.
    Can you please explain exactly how it's an infringement on your religious freedom?

All citizens should have the burden of jury duty, not just registered voters. It’s a poor excuse for our legal system. Jurors regular daily pay should also be part of serving. It can be added to the normal court costs. When you have jurors pissed about missing regular pay, you’re not doing the defendant any favors for an impartial jury. Just laying out a little reality when a jury is setting in the conference room deciding whether you get life or the death penalty on a case.

They go by more than just the voter registration list now, drivers lic/ID, among other things such as property tax rolls not quite sure what else.

What about having jurors pissed that they are making $15 per hr to be there and the guy next to them is making $115 for doing the same thing?

Top Bottom