Jan-2013: FDIC Stops Fully Insuring Deposits. Bank run?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thoughts on this? Could there be a run on banks?

US Bank Run Imminent as FDIC Expanded Deposit Insurance Ends Dec 31st
    As of January 2013 the FDIC stops offering 100% coverage for all insured deposits. That amounts to $1.6 trillion in deposits, 85-90% deposited with the TBTF mega banks. Once the insurance ramps back to $250,000 the FDIC risk amelioration offered to large depositors will cause them to flee from the insecurity of the much reduced FDIC coverage. This money will rotate immediately into short term Treasury securities. The treasury, in order to handle this flood of money, will immediately offer negative interest rates. This financing will resemble the .5% negative interest rate offered by the Swiss and Germans on the funds flooding to their banks from Spain, Greece and Italy.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Yawn... brought to you by a place trying to sell you silver.

These guys have predicted 10 out of the last 2 crashes...

Is our economic system in trouble? yes... Is this it? Uhhhh... no...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Although it's not a problem I'm ever likely to have, I'd guess a prudent person would limit deposits to any one bank to that amount which is covered by the FDIC.

FDIC is $250k. I don't think a prudent person would put near that much in a single bank. I had accounts at 4 different banks at one time.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't know why someone who had a million dollars in cash would have it in an FDIC-insured account anyway. The loss in interest alone would destroy the money's value over time.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I don't know why someone who had a million dollars in cash would have it in an FDIC-insured account anyway. The loss in interest alone would destroy the money's value over time.

Correction: holding that much currency in reserve as dollars would destroy its value over time.

Dollars: useful for heating your home, if you have enough.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Upon reading the original FDIC page, I don't reach the same conclusion.

What is ending is the insurance of Temporary Unlimited Coverage for Non Interest-Bearing (Transactional - the definition is on the FDIC page) Accounts. This says nothing about reducing the $250,000 per-account insurance provided by the FDIC.

That said, the real concern here is the nature of the FDIC. Much like fractional reserve banking in general, there is not nearly enough to cover the risk. Banking requires 10% reserves on deposits.

The FDIC, on the other hand, has far less.

According to the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, total savings deposits at all depository institutions is about $6.5 Trillion. The FDIC's balance sheet has about $22 Billion as of June 2012.

Let's be conservative and say that only $4 Billion of that is in Banks (NCUA covers credit unions). Doing that math, we find that the backstop for the nations banks has under .6 cents for every dollar deposited.

That $22,000,000,000 will cover the failure of some banks. Often, when banks fail, other banks will acquire the deposits, assets, and liabilities; it doesn't peg the FDIC fund for the full amount of the institution's deposits. This is where size matters, however. CITIgroup alone holds $322 Billion in deposits. Chase holds around $1.2 Trillion in deposits.

If one of the giants fails, the FDIC couldn't put a dent in it, and what bank or group of banks could absorb those balance sheets?

Too big to fail? Imagine the chaos if just one of these did.

That's why TARP happened in 2008, and that's why it will happen the next time the chestnuts are in the fire. I doubt it will be long.

Next stop, hyperinflation or default. Both, maybe? :dunno:

There could definitely be a bank run, but not because of this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Seems to me they are trying to encourage investing in the market instead of hoarding cash......:twocents:

I'm no banking/economic expert by any means, but if the banks see a mass exodus of money wouldn't they collapse the economy by being unable to loan sufficient funds to businesses, home-builders etc?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The increased investing would cause less of a need for loans. Some of the money would ultimately end up in being invested in the banks through stocks and bonds.

Top Bottom