• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I haven’t read a Jack Ryan book in several years but I don’t recall his religion being revealed at all. as the story unfolded it was not really important to the plot. So some of the reasoning may have been to virtue signal. There are reasons to include it in the streaming series other that that though. I don’t see why Muslims can’t be fans of the series too. So I can see why producers might give them a character to identify with.

It just added a "dramatic, WOKE point to the storylines. Note that Greer was NOT a field agent in the novels either and did NOT have a field agent past. He was a Navy admiral who served in a senior CIA billet as did Stanfield Turner.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It just added a "dramatic, WOKE point to the storylines. Note that Greer was NOT a field agent in the novels either and did NOT have a field agent past. He was a Navy admiral who served in a senior CIA billet as did Stanfield Turner.

I'm glad someone gets it. I'm surprised people aren't complaining that the Soviets aren't the bad guys.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ve read almost every Tom Clancy novel. Even read a bunch of the novels he put his name in but were written by others. I think this series and the Chris Pine movie convey the feel of the Jack Ryan universe. Sorry some people hate everythjng. I can’t change that. But I will watch this again because it was entertaining

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Harrison Ford
    Alec Baldwin
    Chris Pine
    Ben Affleck

The only person who hasn't played him is Jeff Bridges as Big Lebowski Ryan.
    Out of those 4, Chris Pine is probably the best actor, but I’m not sure he played the best Jack Ryan. I think that’s Harrison Ford as well, even though as an actor, generally he’s mediocre. Maybe it’s that the script played his strengths.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    None of it follows the novels. Its just an action/espionage story and the "Jack Ryan" name is to draw people in. Its entertaining but not Clancy.
    This sums it up.

The names are the same, but the story has changed. Great lower budget action show. I never really got the whole "woke" feel about it, like a lot of the crap that Hollywood puts out. Bring on season 3.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Haven’t seen the series, but Ford did Jack Ryan’s “reluctant action” extremely well.

Seeing the promo of him with the rifle out a helicopter bugs me knowing how canon says Ryan is terrified of helicopters.

I always wanted a Red Storm Rising movie (or mini-series!), but it’d be updated to 2020 and totally suck.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This sums it up.

The names are the same, but the story has changed. Great lower budget action show. I never really got the whole "woke" feel about it, like a lot of the crap that Hollywood puts out. Bring on season 3.

Neither did I. They simply updated the story. The bad guys are Islamists, instead of Soviets. Ryan speaks Arabic instead of Russian. I imagine Greer was made to be Muslim, as to not paint all Muslims as bad guys, to avoid a backlash. I think the show is pretty dang good. Well written, lots of action, and the production seems to give a nod to real tactics.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Neither did I. They simply updated the story. The bad guys are Islamists, instead of Soviets. Ryan speaks Arabic instead of Russian. I imagine Greer was made to be Muslim, as to not paint all Muslims as bad guys, to avoid a backlash. I think the show is pretty dang good. Well written, lots of action, and the production seems to give a nod to real tactics.
    Except for ACOGS on carry handles and finger grip face lowers from supposed CIA SAD guys? The armorer on this one gets a fail.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Finished with Season 2 last night and overall I enjoyed it. While I agree with many of the things others have said here I watch shows like this for the entertainment. So I'm with KJQ bring on season 3.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Haven’t seen the series, but Ford did Jack Ryan’s “reluctant action” extremely well.

Seeing the promo of him with the rifle out a helicopter bugs me knowing how canon says Ryan is terrified of helicopters.

I always wanted a Red Storm Rising movie (or mini-series!), but it’d be updated to 2020 and totally suck.

Maybe a minor point. But tis not helicopters Ryan is terrified of. Its ALL aircraft... He was almost killed in a helicopter crash. In the books, I believe it was an accident. In this series its a a muslim kid who pos a grenade while being evacuated...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not even going to read any of this thread until I'm done with the season, but the first episode didn't really grab me at all. Hopefully it picks up the pace, which I'm sure it will.

Yeah the first episode was slow, but it does pick up.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I didn't even finish Episode 8 of Season 2. It was ropey before that, but there was just too much suspension of disbelief for me to buy that writing. If you're going to use Clancy's name and universe, you need to do a better job than that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I didn't even finish Episode 8 of Season 2. It was ropey before that, but there was just too much suspension of disbelief for me to buy that writing. If you're going to use Clancy's name and universe, you need to do a better job than that.

Meh, he's passed on... his estate, I'm sure, is happy to profit off his name.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's funny that a lot of the complaints about Jack Ryan can also be said about what they did with the Jason Bourne series.

Top Bottom