• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Maybe a minor point. But tis not helicopters Ryan is terrified of. Its ALL aircraft... He was almost killed in a helicopter crash. In the books, I believe it was an accident. In this series its a a muslim kid who pos a grenade while being evacuated...

I may be wrong but I think, in the original canon, his parents died in an airliner crash as well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh boy...some of you guys need to take off the ideological glasses and learn to enjoy things as entertainment.

This was not SJW, it was just more middle-of-the-road than typical Clancy stuff which is pretty hard neo-con.

I don't recall any discussion of Reyes' policies other than keeping himself in power, nor do I recall any policies of Bonalde other than defeating Reyes and "returning power to the people". You could have a strongman vs. outsider dynamic with a rightest or leftist on either side and I thing anything pointing to Trump is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh boy...some of you guys need to take off the ideological glasses and learn to enjoy things as entertainment.

This was not SJW, it was just more middle-of-the-road than typical Clancy stuff which is pretty hard neo-con.

I don't recall any discussion of Reyes' policies other than keeping himself in power, nor do I recall any policies of Bonalde other than defeating Reyes and "returning power to the people". You could have a strongman vs. outsider dynamic with a rightest or leftist on either side and I thing anything pointing to Trump is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Nah.

She was literally introduced as the "social justice" candidate. But anyway, still overall a decent series. Worth watching. Just a little lefty. Not any more left than most of what comes out for TV. We're used to it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I could care less about the accuracy. If it was entertaining, I would enjoy it regardless. I find the acting so bad its distracting. Especially Wendell Pierce.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Nah.

She was literally introduced as the "social justice" candidate...

You're right, I do remember that...but no discussions of anyone's policies, right, left or diagonal.

I enjoyed season 2, but not as much as season 1. A lot less brain work, more shoot 'em up....less intrigue, less interest on my part.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You're right, I do remember that...but no discussions of anyone's policies, right, left or diagonal.

I enjoyed season 2, but not as much as season 1. A lot less brain work, more shoot 'em up....less intrigue, less interest on my part.

I think I enjoyed Season 2 more because Cristina Umana.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Ya. You have to kinda suspend your disbelief a bit.
    That's where the series lost me. Spoilers follow.

- Greer couldn't finish walking home in Russia without collapsing and being hospitalized. Later he couldn't run down half a street without being incapacitated by his illness. Later, after being captured and tortured, he is able to beat down and kill a guard with a fork, wrestle with another, shoot the Chief of Security, and take part in the palace assault after praying. Speaking of...
    - The palace assault was just terribly written. The President declares martial law, has troops at the palace on guard, and fending off rioters - but no one on the roof to monitor the crowd, who would also notice the Black Hawk helicopter landing on the roof. The rest of that plot piece was just stock Hollywood, down to the confrontation with the President that never had you doubting the outcome
    - The safe house exfil scene. As if the car, with the cliched "engine won't start at an inconvenient time" nonsense was not bad enough, we see Ryan and November hide behind the rear doors of the car as an APC lights up the area where they are hiding with a belt fed weapon. Ryan and November magically appear from behind the swiss cheesed door and wipe out the APC with a LAW. Then the, now well ventilated, car, which stopped working so the APC could roll up on it, drives off. I'm sure that no one wold have noticed the dozens of bullet holes in it as they drove to the rally point
    - Uber. Not only did we have the cliched "brought back in after quitting" storyline, but he disobeyed an order to stay with the boat, got lost - prompting a rescue mission and the death of Jeff/Garth. He then gets lost and has his rifle, and GPS locator, stolen by a kid. Next thing he becomes a super soldier. In spite of having no equipment, no food or water, he is able to infiltrate a political prisoner camp undetected, but comes across the satellite receiver just in the nick of time, and then hangs with the SAD guys
    - So Gloria Bonalde has police units sent to her by the President, but rather than curtail her movement or otherwise inconvenience her, they salute her at the end. This is the same President who had no problem sending goons in to kill 12 people in his old neighborhood, murder a family, assassinate a US Senator, slit the throat of his best friend, and order political prisoners to be executed. Seems his mercy was seriously out of character for him. What makes it more unbelieveable is that the guy who Greer had train Bonalde's staff was the traitor, who had no problem killing the police captain who lead the Senator into the ambush, or betrayed the SAD guys. Nope, I guess he suddenly developed a conscience around Gloria.
    - The prison camp. All the guards went missing? They executed prisoners a building by the entry, left the blood on the walls, but moved the bodies? And when Ryan asks about 'The American' none of the prisoners who were there and spoke with Greer, or the guards who watched Greer, thought that they meant him.
    - Jeff/Garth: waste of a perfectly good character who had the hallmarks of becoming this universe's John Clark
    - Harry the Obvious Spy
    - Ironman Max, who ran off after being stabbed in the eye and being stabbed multiple times in the leg
    - The Senator reveal. That was the straw that broke the camel's back

3XiKMch.gif

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

- Greer couldn't finish walking home in Russia without collapsing and being hospitalized. Later he couldn't run down half a street without being incapacitated by his illness. Later, after being captured and tortured, he is able to beat down and kill a guard with a fork, wrestle with another, shoot the Chief of Security, and take part in the palace assault after praying. Speaking of...
    - The palace assault was just terribly written. The President declares martial law, has troops at the palace on guard, and fending off rioters - but no one on the roof to monitor the crowd, who would also notice the Black Hawk helicopter landing on the roof. The rest of that plot piece was just stock Hollywood, down to the confrontation with the President that never had you doubting the outcome
    - The safe house exfil scene. As if the car, with the cliched "engine won't start at an inconvenient time" nonsense was not bad enough, we see Ryan and November hide behind the rear doors of the car as an APC lights up the area where they are hiding with a belt fed weapon. Ryan and November magically appear from behind the swiss cheesed door and wipe out the APC with a LAW. Then the, now well ventilated, car, which stopped working so the APC could roll up on it, drives off. I'm sure that no one wold have noticed the dozens of bullet holes in it as they drove to the rally point
    - Uber. Not only did we have the cliched "brought back in after quitting" storyline, but he disobeyed an order to stay with the boat, got lost - prompting a rescue mission and the death of Jeff/Garth. He then gets lost and has his rifle, and GPS locator, stolen by a kid. Next thing he becomes a super soldier. In spite of having no equipment, no food or water, he is able to infiltrate a political prisoner camp undetected, but comes across the satellite receiver just in the nick of time, and then hangs with the SAD guys
    - So Gloria Bonalde has police units sent to her by the President, but rather than curtail her movement or otherwise inconvenience her, they salute her at the end. This is the same President who had no problem sending goons in to kill 12 people in his old neighborhood, murder a family, assassinate a US Senator, slit the throat of his best friend, and order political prisoners to be executed. Seems his mercy was seriously out of character for him. What makes it more unbelieveable is that the guy who Greer had train Bonalde's staff was the traitor, who had no problem killing the police captain who lead the Senator into the ambush, or betrayed the SAD guys. Nope, I guess he suddenly developed a conscience around Gloria.
    - The prison camp. All the guards went missing? They executed prisoners a building by the entry, left the blood on the walls, but moved the bodies? And when Ryan asks about 'The American' none of the prisoners who were there and spoke with Greer, or the guards who watched Greer, thought that they meant him.
    - Jeff/Garth: waste of a perfectly good character who had the hallmarks of becoming this universe's John Clark
    - Harry the Obvious Spy
    - Ironman Max, who ran off after being stabbed in the eye and being stabbed multiple times in the leg

3XiKMch.gif
    Madman Max was still channeling the Man with no Face.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

- Harry the Obvious Spy

3XiKMch.gif

So, Oakriver, I take it you didn't like season 2? :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He makes some good points. But how that affects people’s enjoyment will vary.

Max was a disappointment but I think Uber was a bigger disappointment. They took a lot of time establishing his character and then they ****ed it up. My guess is that some story lines were more important to them than to be consistent with the character they had developed. The writers just lacked the imagination to weave that into the rest of the story.

Another problem that was annoying, the plot twists seemed contrived. They made no sense. If you have a plot twist, it better have some subtle hints or it’s just twisting the plot for the sake of fake suspense. The best written plot twists have you thinking, oh yeah, I totally over looked those subtle clues. November didn’t have anything.

The Senator kinda did. But it wasn’t well enough developed. It seemed more like they finished the script and some bean counter told they didn’t have enough plot twists. So they wedged one in there, and backfilled the **** about Pennsylvania.

But I just shrug those things off and suspend disbelief and let myself enjoy the stuff that’s entertaining. Hell, I didn’t even think Greer was all that bad. Lots of inconsistencies with his character. Acting wasn’t stellar, but I think the writing was far worse.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So, Oakriver, I take it you didn't like season 2? :)
    Nope. I might go back and read the books instead.

He makes some good points. But how that affects people’s enjoyment will vary.

Max was a disappointment but I think Uber was a bigger disappointment. They took a lot of time establishing his character and then they ****ed it up. My guess is that some story lines were more important to them than to be consistent with the character they had developed. The writers just lacked the imagination to weave that into the rest of the story.

Another problem that was annoying, the plot twists seemed contrived. They made no sense. If you have a plot twist, it better have some subtle hints or it’s just twisting the plot for the sake of fake suspense. The best written plot twists have you thinking, oh yeah, I totally over looked those subtle clues. November didn’t have anything.

The Senator kinda did. But it wasn’t well enough developed. It seemed more like they finished the script and some bean counter told they didn’t have enough plot twists. So they wedged one in there, and backfilled the **** about Pennsylvania.

But I just shrug those things off and suspend disbelief and let myself enjoy the stuff that’s entertaining. Hell, I didn’t even think Greer was all that bad. Lots of inconsistencies with his character. Acting wasn’t stellar, but I think the writing was far worse.
    The sudden plot twists don't add anything to the intrigue or suspense you expect from an espionage setting, instead its the equivalent of jump scares in horror movies.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

- Harry the Obvious Spy

3XiKMch.gif

Right there with you. The "wokeness" is way, waaaay down the list of reasons this season sucked and made no sense.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Here is another commentary on season 2 of 'Jack Ryan', and why the setting falls short:
    [video=youtube;Wo4V3GaXFBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4V3GaXFBY[/video]

Top Bottom