IWB holster for Glock 23 and a IWB mag holster suggestions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Currently I am using a DeStantis Pro-Stealth. I have had this holster since '97. It has served me well, but recently I have switched from carrying a full-size Glock 22 to a Glock 23. In addition, a few years ago I was usin the DeStantis to carry a full-size Taurus 92, which did kinda deform it (a reduction in the tightness/hold). Anyways, the one thing that I have noticed is that the grip sits way below my waistline. I am a thin to average build, 5'9". While I can still get and draw the gun, it is slower than it should, given the wierd way I have to put two of my fingers in my waistband to grasp the grip.

So I am looking for a new holster, one that some might consider a "high ride." What I really would like is for the entire grip section to be just above the belt line. I wear an undershirt and have never had comfort issues. In addition, I wear a basic nylon belt most of the time. Also, I want to be able to fully grasp the grip while the gun is still seated in the holster. So holsters with wide upper bodies that keep the grip from touching the person's body may not work. I do know that some companies like Crossbreed offer a "Combat Cut" which is something that I would want.

I have looked at: Crossbreed, Raven, ComTac, Remora, KHolster, Uncle Mike's, DeSantis and Milt Sparks. I have crossed K-Holster off the list. I really like the Remora holsters with built in extra mag holder, but I question their 'no movement' claims with no clip or attachment. I would prefer an attached extra mag pouch, but it seems none of these companies really offer that outside of DeSantis Pro-Stealth (what I have now, hangs too low below the pant line) and the Remora (issue noted above). I am open to getting a seperate extra mag holder, so any suggestions on those would be welcome as well.

Lastly, nylon vs leather. Is there really any differnence between nylon or leather? I don't sweat with my gun unless I am outside working, in which case I am gonna keep the Pro-Stealth and could just use it during periods where I might build up sweat. Additionally, I wouldn't mind some sort of retention strap, but it isn't a deal breaker.

I'm not really that picky on much, just want a good strong clip or belt looks, adjustable would be nice, but needs to ride so the grip is easy to fully grasp and above the belt line. I've never really carried any sort of cant, but don't think it would be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I find the adjustability of the MTAC or CTAC allows it to ride above the belt enough that I can get a full purchase on the pistol with my strong hand before drawing. Works well for me.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I find the adjustability of the MTAC or CTAC allows it to ride above the belt enough that I can get a full purchase on the pistol with my strong hand before drawing. Works well for me.

Thanks. I found of photo on-line of the issue I have when I carry with my current holster. This makes it very hard to get a full grasp on the grip. Note: This photo isn't the holster I use, but it appears to ride just the same:

bh-73ir01bk-r.jpg

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Check out the Skyops Holster.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

This shows the holster for the G26, which I carry. I started a thread on :ingo: about the same general issue, needing a better IWB carry option. I have received recommendations for all those holsters you have already checked—plus more. I am focused now on this Skyops and this Fist-Inc model.

Untitled Document

This one uses a velcro adhesive system that gives the opportunity for you to set a very forward cant that would make the full grip available for your hand. I am still wondering if the velcro will hold up. Let me know (or us on :ingo:) what you decide. I think I will wait until I can go to the Gun/Knife show at Fort Wayne on 27-28 Nov 10 before I make a decision. I hope to be able to fondle a few more models there.

Good hunting! :cool:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Thanks. I found of photo on-line of the issue I have when I carry with my current holster. This makes it very hard to get a full grasp on the grip. Note: This photo isn't the holster I use, but it appears to ride just the same:

bh-73ir01bk-r.jpg

The M/CTacs have both sides adjustable. They ride up a full finger width higher than between the belt and the part where the grip beets the trigger guard.

This is a good thing, because it means the Kydex portion is above the belt slightly, for good one handed reholstering.

I've got a MTAC and CTAC for the 19/23 configuration if you want to try it out. Not sure what side of Indy you are on.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Crossbreed's worth a go. Like some other folks have pointed out, it's adjustable for ride height and you can actually send it back to them and have them do the combat cut if you find that you want to go that route after you get it. They have a nice "no hassle" return window if you decide that you don't like it. I've got one and it's been one of the most comfortable holsters I have.

Top Bottom