Is Therapy Causing a Depression Epidemic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Therapy?...Mental issues?...

Being a man is eating emotions, feelings, depressions and just doing what needs done without waivering. Stuff that $hit down and move the F on.

Now it's all about feelings and emotions. Talk to that "mental professional" that will give your info to the gov't when they want to take your rights away and red flag you.

Man up. Who did your dad talk to? Who did your grand dad talk to? They were men. They had their thoughts and did what they knew was right.

Tuck that sack back and cry on the shoulder of a stranger and see where it gets you...
    I can remember watching the news with my Dad when I was a kid. There was a Vietnam vet on tv crying about his experience. Dad just says, well you gotta get over that, and went and did something else then.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Wow. I'm being called names. Now I am depressed and need to talk to someone. I think I'll go on a firearm site and expect everyone to see things how I do and call them names if they don't. Reality has escaped your grasp.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wow. I'm being called names. Now I am depressed and need to talk to someone. I think I'll go on a firearm site and expect everyone to see things how I do and call them names if they don't. Reality has escaped your grasp.
    wait, what? You're the one telling everyone that uses these tools that they aren't men, they "tuck their sacks" etc. The only person being rude as **** is you.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Whenever the topic of mental health comes up on here I'm frequently amazed at the level of ignorance expressed by so many. We're all ignorant of many, many things and ignorance is not necessarily a bad thing if we're willing to recognize it and correct it when it is pointed out. With mental health, the depth and breadth of the ignorance as well as the potentially serious consequences, elevates mere ignorance into something darker and far more dangerous. Especially when that ignorance is embraced and promoted like now when people ignorantly blame medication or in this case, therapy for mental health problems. Very few would go to their Dr., receive a diagnosis for a disease, and then blame the Dr. (or the medicine prescribed) for causing the disease, yet many will readily do just that when the health issue is mental instead of physical.

Not all mental health issues require medication and many can be addressed more effectively by therapy alone or by using medication in conjunction with therapy. While meds can correct chemical imbalances in the brain and make it easier to deal with mental health issues, they do not alone, in most cases, cure the mental health problem. Much like physical therapy is often need to complete recovery after surgery, mental health therapy is often need to complete mental health recovery. Also similar to physical therapy, sometimes the therapy alone is enough and more drastic measures can be avoided. Many, doctors and patients are overly reliant on medication and see it as a panacea because it is easier to simply take medication than putting in the work that therapy requires.

In some ways it is a good thing that so many of you have been fortunate enough to neither experience any mental health problems yourselves or have someone close to you who has. Unfortunately reality indicates that many were not really so fortunate and simply chose to ignore their problems, self medicate with drugs or alcohol, or engaged in some other self destructive behavior instead of having the courage to actually admit they need help and deal with the actual underlying problems. Contrary to popular opinion, there is nothing manly about choosing to harm yourself or others instead of getting the help you need. Nor is there anything manly about discouraging others from getting the help they may need due to your own insecurities.

For those that have truly been fortunate to avoid direct experiences with mental health issues, you should indeed be thankful as others mentioned earlier in the thread. However, IMO, you can't be truly appreciative of your fortune if you can't acknowledge that others are not so fortunate. Using your blessings to discourage others from seeking the help they need, is a really poor way to express gratitude for you good fortune, IMO.

For any who might be struggling with mental health issues, please get the help you need. Your life and well being are more important than the ignorance and insecurity of others. Also, don't settle for less than the best help available. Get an evaluation from a Psychiatrist instead of just relying on a GP to proscribe meds. If you need therapy, instead or in addition to medication, don't settle for a poor fit or a therapist that isn't willing to work at least as hard as you are.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    For any who might be struggling with mental health issues, please get the help you need. Your life and well being are more important than the ignorance and insecurity of others. Also, don't settle for less than the best help available. Get an evaluation from a Psychiatrist instead of just relying on a GP to proscribe meds. If you need therapy, instead or in addition to medication, don't settle for a poor fit or a therapist that isn't willing to work at least as hard as you are.
    This is great advice. I saw a psych for a few months, first to diagnose then to find the right option for me. We tried a few different meds that didn't work for me. That's been about 15 or so years ago. Did therapy when the meds started to lose their effectiveness in late 19 early 20 before shutting it down. Saw a psych again that year to find an alternative and along with the tools from Therapy it's been good for hte last 4 years. There are ups and downs but not as severe as they used to be before I got help.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the rise in depression and anxiety has multiple factors. But I will say modern therapy probably isn’t helping. I don’t think a lot of effort by therapists today is spent trying to teach people how to face problems and overcome them.

But if I were going to pinpoint what these people are missing that previous generations had, I’d say it’s two no-nonsense parents raising their kids. Make them do chores. Don’t just hand them an easy life. Learning problem resolution as early as the kid can possibly solve it makes the kid grow up learning problems are solvable.

We see so many tictoks posted by young people literally crying about simple life problems as if what they’re facing is insurmountable. If you think every little molehill is an impassible mountain, you, that’s gonna give you anxiety. That’s gonna make you depressed.

Is it therapy at fault? Lots of people suffer from anxiety and depression that are not on therapy. But like I said, today’s therapy ain’t helping. The only kind of therapist that can possibly hope to replace a childhood’s worth of strong parents, is one who is a strong parent himself. Introduce some baby problems, and let the person figure those out. Then move onto progressively bigger problems. Maybe take the person through re-growing up. Non-serious parents are ****ing their kids up, and so are ****ing society up.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This is great advice. I saw a psych for a few months, first to diagnose then to find the right option for me. We tried a few different meds that didn't work for me. That's been about 15 or so years ago. Did therapy when the meds started to lose their effectiveness in late 19 early 20 before shutting it down. Saw a psych again that year to find an alternative and along with the tools from Therapy it's been good for hte last 4 years. There are ups and downs but not as severe as they used to be before I got help.
    i haven't gone for a really long time now. The biggest thing i got out of therapy was discovering that anxiety was causing some physical symptoms for me. I was getting dizzy and light-headed a lot, basically i was almost hyperventilating, but didn't know it.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    i haven't gone for a really long time now. The biggest thing i got out of therapy was discovering that anxiety was causing some physical symptoms for me. I was getting dizzy and light-headed a lot, basically i was almost hyperventilating, but didn't know it.
    I thought I was having a heart attack. At 40. tightening chest, hard to breathe, which only fueled it to become worse. Self fulfilling prophecy I guess.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think the rise in depression and anxiety has multiple factors. But I will say modern therapy probably isn’t helping. I don’t think a lot of effort by therapists today is spent trying to teach people how to face problems and overcome them.

But if I were going to pinpoint what these people are missing that previous generations had, I’d say it’s two no-nonsense parents raising their kids. Make them do chores. Don’t just hand them an easy life. Learning problem resolution as early as the kid can possibly solve it makes the kid grow up learning problems are solvable.

We see so many tictoks posted by young people literally crying about simple life problems as if what they’re facing is insurmountable. If you think every little molehill is an impassible mountain, you, that’s gonna give you anxiety. That’s gonna make you depressed.

Is it therapy at fault? Lots of people suffer from anxiety and depression that are not on therapy. But like I said, today’s therapy ain’t helping. The only kind of therapist that can possibly hope to replace a childhood’s worth of strong parents, is one who is a strong parent himself. Introduce some baby problems, and let the person figure those out. Then move onto progressively bigger problems. Maybe take the person through re-growing up. Non-serious parents are ****ing their kids up, and so are ****ing society up.
    what do you call "today's therapy?" Because, 4 years isn't that long ago. The therapist then was about helping her patients confront their issues, learn to tackle them and deal with them before they become something worse. Learn to be present, understand what is concerning you and dealing with that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    what do you call "today's therapy?" Because, 4 years isn't that long ago. The therapist then was about helping her patients confront their issues, learn to tackle them and deal with them before they become something worse. Learn to be present, understand what is concerning you and dealing with that.

Probably depends where you are, the therapist and where he or she went to school. Not all treat people the same way. Don't get too upset. There are good therapists and bad.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Therapy didn't do this to the younger generations. Colleges, Universities, Public schools and pop culture did this to the younger generations.

Oh, and helicopter parents/everybody gets a prize. Just doesn't seem to pan out like that in the real world.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Therapy didn't do this to the younger generations. Colleges, Universities, Public schools and pop culture did this to the younger generations.

Oh, and helicopter parents/everybody gets a prize. Just doesn't seem to pan out like that in the real world.
    Don't forget about EXTENSIVE time on their phones.

And weed.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You mean fighting bigoted, closed minded arrogant ***holes? That’s a never ending fight. Understanding that the issues you have are not “your fault”, as in you didn’t cause them, then finding ways to fix it is how I chose to approach it. I will fight for those that are too timid, too scared to find help. Dealing with arrogant ***holes that tell them they just need to suck it up and be a real man while trying to make yourself better? That’s the real suck right there.

Yes, if you have a physical imbalance of chemicals that cause your depression, you will fight it until your last breath. It doesn’t magically go away with “nice thoughts”. Learning to manage it, and to feel “normal” and enjoying your life more is worth that struggle, even if you don’t think so because it doesn’t fit your idea of what a man is.

I’ve gotten a couple of pms from people thanking me for speaking out against the jerks and the “suck it ups”.
    Thought it. Didn’t do it.
    So here, now, thanks.

I want anyone that is struggling to understand it’s ok, you aren’t alone.
    This. You are not alone, no matter what it “feels” like. Hard to believe past your feelings, sometimes
    You can seek help, whether it be professional or a friendly ear or caring spouse. There is help out there and it’s not these arrogant pricks telling us we aren’t men/women/people because we just can’t suck it up. My pms are always open if you need someone to talk at. I understand and there are a lot of great people out here that want to help as well.
    There’s no shame. Or at least shouldn’t be.

Top Bottom