• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What I don't get is, Provident says that those 1/2 oz. commemoratives are available in any quantity at $39.99 per coin over spot. At spot, 1/2 oz would be 942.60 as of this posting, but the commemoratives are 987.61. That's a difference of 45.01. :scratch:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So far SD has undercut Provident on about everything, but they don't seem to have much in stock. The have plenty of 20 Coronas at about $4 each over the ones I got. They seem to have two classes of Corona coins, with one slightly more expensive than the other. Not sure why. I'm waiting for the more expensive ones to drop a few bucks.

The lowest prices were at Peninsulahcap, but they are somewhat-better-than-average scammers. Don't fall for it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, that was strange. I ordered 3x20 Corona Austrians earlier yesterday from SD and no tax was charged. Then I ordered more of the same later the same day, and tax was charged. Here is their answer to my inquiry:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the sales department of SD Bullion, The Lowest Price, Period!

We have recently made the transition required by law to collect sales tax at the point of purchase. The taxed amount will vary based on your location and the specific items ordered. If you are having specific questions regarding your state's tax policy pertaining to precious metals, please refer to our Gold & Silver Sales Tax guide or reach out to a tax professional in your area.

Depending on where you are shipping your order, we may have to collect sales tax on some or all of the products you purchase. This amount will be calculated at checkout.

Their guide says Indiana charges tax accordingly:

SD Bullion is required to collect Indiana sales tax on the following items

Accessories
    Processed Items
    Copper
    Numismatics
    Foreign Gold Coins and Gold Bullion below .995 purity, Foreign Silver Coins and Silver Bullion below .999 purity, Foreign Platinum Coins, Platinum Bullion, Foreign Palladium Coins & Palladium Bullion below .9995 purity

So the .995 purity cutoff applies, but why did it apply to the second order and not the first? On the same day?! I have asked and will let you know what they say.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, that was strange. I ordered 3x20 Corona Austrians earlier yesterday from SD and no tax was charged. Then I ordered more of the same later the same day, and tax was charged. Here is their answer to my inquiry:

Their guide says Indiana charges tax accordingly:

So the .995 purity cutoff applies, but why did it apply to the second order and not the first? On the same day?! I have asked and will let you know what they say.
    I wonder if Provident will be starting to charge tax now? Up until now they haven't.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'm pretty sure I've never paid tax on any 90% coin I've bought in person. I assume they consider it non-numismatic?
    Was this a 90% US Coin? Numismatics I'm guessing would be PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.

As for Provident charging tax, I'm sure it's either already there or in progress. I've seen where tax would appear, but the specific items being purchased will be the major decider in what tax is collected. It's very similar to the grocery store, where certain items are taxed and others are not.

US Coins - of any purity - (currency), and .999 bullion ("pure" precious metals) fall into different taxation categories. Jewelry is likely in its own category.

This is similar to how a buyer must hold bullion for a X days before processing/reselling and coins do not have such restriction.

P.S. I really like the newly released 10oz American Virtues rounds, but a $40/oz premium is damn salty.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Was this a 90% US Coin? Numismatics I'm guessing would be PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.

As for Provident charging tax, I'm sure it's either already there or in progress. I've seen where tax would appear, but the specific items being purchased will be the major decider in what tax is collected. It's very similar to the grocery store, where certain items are taxed and others are not.

US Coins - of any purity - (currency), and .999 bullion ("pure" precious metals) fall into different taxation categories. Jewelry is likely in its own category.

This is similar to how a buyer must hold bullion for a X days before processing/reselling and coins do not have such restriction.

P.S. I really like the newly released 10oz American Virtues rounds, but a $40/oz premium is damn salty.
    Provident didn't charge me tax on the silver I bought last week, nor did they charge me tax on the 1/2 oz gold commemorative medal I bought today (although that one was 90% gold, but not currency).

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    Not sure what forum to put this in....mods, please move if necessary.
    The Plebes have started a firestorm.. first it was Gamestop, then Nokia...
    Now Silver?

The laws of unintended consequences is in play here.
    Silver won’t make you money. It will hedge it against inflation though

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    JM Bullion buyback prices on 1ozt gold are 1,922.23 and 10ozt silver is at 235.40... puts the actual gold/silver ratio at 81.66 which is a strong signal toward silver.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    JM Bullion buyback prices on 1ozt gold are 1,922.23 and 10ozt silver is at 235.40... puts the actual gold/silver ratio at 81.66 which is a strong signal toward silver.
    The fact that the gold buyback is that close to spot and the silver looks slightly over spot may speak to the current and future supply for retail.

Top Bottom