• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It just seems like there should be some kind of standard for determining the worth of gold or silver, etc.. If purity is .90, then it should be valued at .90 of of spot for .999 or .9999. I realize that the old coins weren't made with that in mind but dang, it just seems awfully convoluted.
    Now you have me questioning my sanity understanding.

And this is why I stick to well marked coins, though the pre-33 gold should be GTG.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    The old coins were meant for circulation. The coins the mint now produce are not intended for circulation. I think '65-'70 was the last silver with the 40% half dollar, before that it was all 90%.

And many companies produce .999 medallions, or rounds. I consider a coin to be government issued currency.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now this thought really will blow our minds I think. The value of gold is priced in USD. But if the USD is no longer the worldwide reserve currency, and that switches to yuan or rubles or crypto, then what are precious metals really worth?

iu

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The old coins were meant for circulation. The coins the mint now produce are not intended for circulation. I think '65-'70 was the last silver with the 40% half dollar, before that it was all 90%.

And many companies produce .999 medallions, or rounds. I consider a coin to be government issued currency.
    Right. That's why I put "coins" in quotes. I should have just said rounds. But there are also sovereign coins that are .999 (Britannias, Philharmonics, etc.). It makes my brain hurt.

iu

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Still a big spread between spot and American Eagle.

$2 maybe $3 used to be the norm. Now I'm seeing $10 and even $15.

What the heck?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Still a big spread between spot and American Eagle.

$2 maybe $3 used to be the norm. Now I'm seeing $10 and even $15.

What the heck?
    There's a shortage of planchettes from the Mint's suppliers. Wholesaler deliveries are taking longer than usual. Quite a bit of talk that there's "plenty" of silver available, just not in the ASE form. There's also been discussion about lengthy delays from Canadian (8-12w) and Mexican (TBD) mints for Silver Maples & Libertads.

I have some concerns about the planchette theory, since volume prices for: Rounds are +$5 (20%), 10oz bars +$4.50 (18%), and 100oz bars +$3.50 (14%) are noticeably higher than in recent history.

That seems to point to a significant divergence from the paper spot price - which generally cannot be completed physically despite the instruments definition...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I didn't want to just take down silver today, gold will plummet soon also. Granted the gold I bought could easily be blown out of my hand by a strong breeze, because it's such a tiny flake. I don't know how much luck will rub off on the gold, but precious metals will likely take a dip soon.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    He didn't know I just bought some silver and gold before producing this video. His charts can't survive the force of nature that was just created.

Yesterday was a huge day for mining companies. Just an ant dip on a little softness today. Monday will be a better indicator of the larger market.

Top Bottom