Is Private Funding Of Election Offices Legal Or Constitutional?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is It Unconstitutional To Use Private Money To Boost Voter Turnout In Certain Areas?

• Total voters

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Money in politics is either free speech across the board or it’s not. There is no in between.
    So is buying the zoning office speech? How about the board of health? Would we allow McD’s to ”donate” money to these departments with a list of strings they want pulled in exchange for the money.

Are you just being cantankerous because you know I’m right about campaign finance laws and restrictions on them are unconstitutional attacks on free speech?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So is buying the zoning office speech? How about the board of health? Would we allow McD’s to ”donate” money to these departments with a list of strings they want pulled in exchange for the money.

Are you just being cantankerous because you know I’m right about campaign finance laws and restrictions on them are unconstitutional attacks on free speech?
    You tell me. You are in support of money as free speech. You are either all in or not.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I think it would be easier to make all political donations be tied to a person that has to be verified as a citizen and any legislation that affects the citizen or the business that this citizen is tied to, the politician that received a campaign donation has to set out the vote on that legislation. So if someone donated to every senator‘s campaign and legislation came up that would affect that citizen that donated then every senator would have to recuse themselves from voting on that legislation.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So in your world the first amendment is limited to what any person can say out of their mouth?
    No. You can buy ad space yourself or you can buy tv time yourself To put your message out. Handing money to someone else isn’t free speech. I guess buying a car is protected under the first amendment?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No. You can buy ad space yourself or you can buy tv time yourself To put your message out. Handing money to someone else isn’t free speech. I guess buying a car is protected under the first amendment?
    So the first amendment does not protect my right to use my money to have someone else say what I want said?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Money in politics is either free speech across the board or its not. There is no in between.
    Super PACs wouldn't exist if money was considered speech in politics.

I mean some judges/politicians may claim it's speech, but the entire premise of super PACs is to get around campaign finance laws which limit that "speech."

I'm not sure I really have much of an opinion one way or another, I'm just pointing out where we are.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Legality is an expired term, it no longer holds and meaning if applied to the government of the United States of America. If the government is involved, the government can and will do whatever it wants to whomever it wants, whenever it wants and nothing is going to change that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is ironic…

At least some Democrats voted to put a ban on private donations in election administration in Wisconsin’s constitution. All it took was approaching the issue from their point of view, with questions like, how would you like the National Rifle Association or Elon Musk cutting checks to local election offices? They didn’t much care for that.

Top Bottom