Is it me or are these kids' names getting weirder every year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That reminds me. When I was a kid, a guy in our church married a girl who's name was Cherry Bear (not sure about the spelling of Bear. Might have been Baer). I remember my parents having the conversation on the way home from the wedding. "Who in their right mind would name a girl Cherry Bear. Might as well have been gummy bear.".

This was the mid 80's.

My wife's dingbat cousin and her husband named their son Bear Newberry. They live in San Francisco so the kid will probably be teased for not having a weird enough name.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...They live in San Francisco so the kid will probably be teased for not having a weird enough name.

Uh... In the San Fran vernacular, a "bear" is NOT a 4 legged woodland creature. So he has that going for him.;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    since this thread is still going, i can add 3 normal first names, that added to last names that were bad choices

james bond...not the movie franchise, kid was more messed up than a soup sandwich, used to walk around school talking into his pencils! (I guess he could have been an agent :dunno:)

and there were the Head boys, Robert and Richard, yes old Bob and Dick head, their family owned a electronics store here in the 80's (heads electronics)

now theres a very well known auto body shop here in town, and one of the guys who started it loved cars (the other owner was killed in a drag racing crash), and he named his boys...Corvette and Camaro yes they are real, one used to sell used cars, and my friend bought a 69 Chevelle from him!

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I know brothers named ralph and chuck. Both of their parents were raging alcoholics. Come to think of it, so are ralph and chuck.

Oconto county Wisconsin has a judge named michael judge.
    Another name in the paper, not too long ago, seymour bunns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Uh... In the San Fran vernacular, a "bear" is NOT a 4 legged woodland creature. So he has that going for him.;)

Oh man... I rather have a stripper name.

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, I had a great aunt or something named Zeus. :n00b:

Of course, Ft. Wayne's most beloved mayor was Harry Baals. His wife's name was Minnie.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My great grandfather, former mayor of Kokomo first name is Barnabas but my family is from the tribe of Asher which my father had the distinct pleasure of having as a first name.

FYI Barnabas is Greek in origin, but there is precedent amongst pre-AD Jews. Pretty cool name. It's not weird at all, just not often used.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FYI Barnabas is Greek in origin, but there is precedent amongst pre-AD Jews. Pretty cool name. It's not weird at all, just not often used.

We have a St. Barnabas church/school here on the southside, but when I think of Barnabas, the first person that comes to mind is Barnabas Collins...

10855970-large.jpg

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My wife has a distant relative who named one of their daughters Cherokee. I wondered why not Sioux or Chippewa, Comanche, etc.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    since this thread is still going, i can add 3 normal first names, that added to last names that were bad choices

When I was in the USAF, I knew an officer whose last name was Payne. So Lieutenant Payne, then Captain Payne. Then came the next promotion...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So the wife and I are in a store in Indiana, pleasant young woman ringing us out has an name tag "Hi I'm Vagina. The wife says how do you pronounce your name? I was expecting Va-geena not the female body part...

What parent does this?

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    So the wife and I are in a store in Indiana, pleasant young woman ringing us out has an name tag "Hi I'm Vagina. The wife says how do you pronounce your name? I was expecting Va-geena not the female body part...

What parent does this?

Isn't that what this entire thread is about? :):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

What parent does this?
    Amy "my vaaa-gina" Schumer does.

genital-fissure-gene-attell-fischer-congration-on-the-baby-amy-56150090.png

Yup - that's name.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My wife knows two young boys, names are Diesel and Clutch. Dad is an auto mechanic. My wife knew two sisters Bizlady and Dizlady, Bizy and Dizy for short. Had a great uncle named Orcus went by Orkie, look it up if you don't know where it comes from.

When my wife was pregnant I told her if it was a boy I wanted to name him Thomas Gunther.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My sons middle name is Reno, named after one of my great uncles. hes a 0352 Marine, Missile Launcher. The first package I sent him after he learned his MOS I wrote on the front in large letters*** Reno The Rocket Man.... It stuck like super glue.
    I worked with a man years ago in Bermuda who worked for Otis, his last name was Rector. He named his son, Otis E Rector.
    My elementary school Principle was a black man, His name was Mr White.

Top Bottom