Is it just me/my area or are there about 5x as many raccoons as normal this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    They're everywhere! I've never seen so many corpses on the road as I have this last month, 1-2 every mile or so on the highways. They're active during the day or night, doesn't matter. People in my county are positing about it on Facebook, and I've noticed it too. They're bold, coming out during the day and getting close to humans, pets, and livestock. I don't ever recall seeing them in so many places so often and I've lived here for 30 years. Did they suddenly lose a predator or have an abundance of food? What caused such a change?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    North Madison Co here, I have two live traps that are always baited at the house or friends homes around town.
    Ive only dispatched two coons this year. Along with three? possums and dozens of feral cats.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Pelts aren’t worth anything, less hunting n trapping = more animals to breed = more animals in the wild. Don’t worry to much, when the population reaches critical mass, Mother Nature will take care of it with disease. Unfortunately those same diseases may infect other animals, pets, some human. Rabies for instance. But now you have to wait for population to cycle back up when the war stops so you can go hunting n trapping. Same goes for all Indiana fur bearing critters.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started reading this topic as I lost 10 chickens a week ago and was wondering what the season and laws were on raccoons.

From the IN DNR website: "Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon."

So I'm understanding that to mean if it's on your property there's no season where they can't be trapped and shot.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    About normal here in the Fort. Lots of dead ones on the roads. Family groups getting hit. Shot one or two every trip to the cabin. More turkey and partridge this year too. I'd like to think I have something to do with that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I started reading this topic as I lost 10 chickens a week ago and was wondering what the season and laws were on raccoons.

From the IN DNR website: "Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon."

So I'm understanding that to mean if it's on your property there's no season where they can't be trapped and shot.
    Correct.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    In Ohio and points east, you are required by law to kill all trapped raccoons - no exceptions. There was a rabies epidemic spreading west from New York (surprise!) and this, in combination with inoculated baits, seems to have stopped or slowed it.
    Distemper can still be a problem, but people don't get it.

Top Bottom