6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The house just passed it, too. Looks like these guys are going to be paying more taxes, so prices are only going to go up. Get the bill to the Governor’s desk!

Florida House passes bill stripping Disney of self governing status

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-house-passes-bill-stripping-disney-of-self-governing-status
    My nephew is very left-wing and he is freaking out about this on Facebook. I find it very comical. You would think that the Dems would support the idea of a business being treated as a business instead of as a municipality, but no, apparently it's bad for the tribe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My nephew is very left-wing and he is freaking out about this on Facebook. I find it very comical. You would think that the Dems would support the idea of a business being treated as a business instead of as a municipality, but no, apparently it's bad for the tribe.
    Disney isn't being punished. It's just being made to follow the same rules AS EVERY OTHER BUSINESS in Florida.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Will probably blow a gasket if Elon and company buy twitter

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The house just passed it, too. Looks like these guys are going to be paying more taxes, so prices are only going to go up. Get the bill to the Governor’s desk!

Florida House passes bill stripping Disney of self governing status

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-house-passes-bill-stripping-disney-of-self-governing-status
    They should've kept their trap shut and just concentrated on being Disney, so now they are going to have to 'pay their fair share'?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would absolutely love to see Disney fold up and vanish. They stopped being a positive influence on kids more than two decades ago. I can't think of many American institutions which could serve as a better example of how tired Americans are of this woke ******** by being relegated to the history books.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Actually from what I understand this could be a windfall for WDW. With their special status revoked, about a BILLION dollars in Disney / Reedy Creek issued bonds will revert to Orange and Oceola counties, meaning all the sudden the counties have to repay those bonds instead of WDW itself! Bonds WDW used to build their empire but now essentially will be paid back by the local taxpayers and ultimately the tourists who visit the region through tourism taxes like airfare, car rentals, lodging, dining and entertainment. Or if you look at it another way, Disney has had a Florida resident 'free' annual membership for years but now the bill has come due! Such an interesting situation that all sides seem to be able to spin to advance their particular narrative!

(munching popcorn emoji) (because I don't know how to actually add that) (and I'm making myself appear to be much less tech savvy than I actually am by not looking for it)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Actually from what I understand this could be a windfall for WDW. With their special status revoked, about a BILLION dollars in Disney / Reedy Creek issued bonds will revert to Orange and Oceola counties, meaning all the sudden the counties have to repay those bonds instead of WDW itself! Bonds WDW used to build their empire but now essentially will be paid back by the local taxpayers and ultimately the tourists who visit the region through tourism taxes like airfare, car rentals, lodging, dining and entertainment. Or if you look at it another way, Disney has had a Florida resident 'free' annual membership for years but now the bill has come due! Such an interesting situation that all sides seem to be able to spin to advance their particular narrative!

(munching popcorn emoji) (because I don't know how to actually add that) (and I'm making myself appear to be much less tech savvy than I actually am by not looking for it)

This is one of the issues that my previously mentioned nephew has referenced repeatedly; that the taxpayers will be on the hook for repaying the bonds issued by Disney. I really don't know the legal issues on this, but it sounds far more like a Disney talking point than an actual legal precedent. (My nephew actually works for Disney, so although he acts as though he is an expert on all of this, I have my doubts about where his information actually comes from.) It's hard for me to see how the change of status would automatically transfer the responsibility for repaying the debt to someone else that wasn't actually a part of the agreement? Anybody know anything about this?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The situation has led to some strange political rhetoric and bedfellows. The GOP is now being accused of being "antibusiness," while dissenting Democrats appear to have suddenly become laissez-faire capitalists, pontificating on the virtues of low taxes and leaving corporations alone to manage their own affairs.

Top Bottom