• ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

question,

if you are related to me distantly and want to have your dna in a search database and we have identifiers/markers that we share, wouldn’t that mean the shared portion is not solely owned by you and therefore you can’t openly share it in a database without my consent?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    How would you know you share any until after the fact?
    You share a portion with all of your past relatives and future offspring. I guess the point of law that needs to be explored is if the person that wants to share to a database would be required to get permission from all living persons that share markers with them.

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    That seems like it would just halt all voluntary sharing.

edit: which I'm fine with.. The implications of restricting sharing of the "shared" portion would be an interesting legal argument.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Would you like to claim ownership of everyone who kinds looks like you?

You cannot claim ownership of someone else's DNA because sequences are shared. It is someone else's DNA. Not yours.

If you want limits on private DNA testing services making information available to law enforcement, work that angle. Don't try to limit other people's rights.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Would you like to claim ownership of everyone who kinds looks like you?

You cannot claim ownership of someone else's DNA because sequences are shared. It is someone else's DNA. Not yours.
    Thanks, as I expected when I read the post above.

If you want limits on private DNA testing services making information available to law enforcement, work that angle. Don't try to limit other people's rights.
    Far more concerned with what has been reported the Chinese are doing with the DNA data this.

That said on my short list of constitutional concerns is the government buying information that would be slam dunk unconstitutional if they tried to collect it themselves. This type of data should always require a warrant for government to possess.

Recently the IRS using AI on baking records they should not have access to without a specific warrant. The access to credit reporting companies data, again without warrant.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Thanks, as I expected when I read the post above.

Far more concerned with what has been reported the Chinese are doing with the DNA data this.

That said on my short list of constitutional concerns is the government buying information that would be slam dunk unconstitutional if they tried to collect it themselves. This type of data should always require a warrant for government to possess.

Recently the IRS using AI on baking records they should not have access to without a specific warrant. The access to credit reporting companies data, again without warrant.
    Yeah, the IRS doesn't need our baking records, I don't wanna share my cookies or bread with them

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The amazing part (in one sense but then not really) is that people pay $$ to these services to submit their DNA and give up so much privacy. That said we see it every day with Facebook and other services (though there people sign up to be the product for free).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The argument getting silly quick is all I foresee.
    Welcome to INGO. We have fun here.

And in case you didnt read the faq, Purple indicates sarcasm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The amazing part (in one sense but then not really) is that people pay $$ to these services to submit their DNA and give up so much privacy. That said we see it every day with Facebook and other services (though there people sign up to be the product for free).
    30 years ago: "shhh. The spies are tapping our phones. Be careful what you say."
    Today: "Hey spy, add spaghetti noodles to the grocery list."

Top Bottom