• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    One more thing to consider is if you're allergic to fiberglass insulation. I am and if it is not covered and sealed I would itch every time I got near it. I worked a couple of years part time installing insulation and it never got better. I hate that sh*t!
    Should we get technical? Ok - lets.

Can't be allergic to something that's not a protein. Fiberglass ain't a protein.

:-D

Skin sensitivity to itty bitty tiny little shards of fiberglass on your skin? Absolutely. T'aint an allergy though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, things like that can be stupid expensive at big box stores. I get my IT cabling stuff from a gay bar (according to some here LOL) and I pay for instance as low as $2.50 for a network patch cord. The same cable at a big box store runs $10.

So if its something a pro uses but a consumer typically doesnt buy, you're gonna pay through the nose for it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Yeah, things like that can be stupid expensive at big box stores. I get my IT cabling stuff from a gay bar (according to some here LOL) and I pay for instance as low as $2.50 for a network patch cord. The same cable at a big box store runs $10.

So if its something a pro uses but a consumer typically doesnt buy, you're gonna pay through the nose for it.
    So you're saying this "gay bar" has benefits? :gheyhi:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Something like this will do if you have a 240 volt feed to the shed.

KEN BROWN 3000/4000/5000W Electric Garage Heater, 240v Hardwired Fan Forced Ceiling Mount Space Heater with Thermostat, Overheat Protection for Garage, Workshop, Warehouse, 2023 Upgraded​

$145.99

View attachment 324610
    Maybe you can get some residual heat from the violently spinning meter.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Can't be allergic to something that's not a protein. Fiberglass ain't a protein.

Skin sensitivity to itty bitty tiny little shards of fiberglass on your skin? Absolutely. T'aint an allergy though.
    Allergic contact dermatitis is a form of dermatitis/eczema caused by an allergic reaction to a material, called an allergen, in contact with the skin. The allergen is harmless to people that are not allergic to it. Allergic contact dermatitis is also called contact allergy.
    Allergic contact dermatitis may develop to the resins that coat the fibreglass fragments.

Moar here....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Or stay cold! :cool:
    Wood stove, pellet, natural gas, propane, diesel, kerosene. All less expensive than resistive heating...unless there is a super special rate or solar involved.

If it's a small space, the wood stove or pellet may take up too much space. I currently heat my garage with a vent-free natural gas heater, but again, space. I am in the planning stages of outbuilding and I will be using pellet.

However, these little diesel heaters seem pretty interesting.

Honestly, if the heat source is relatively inexpensive and kicks out heat, there is no real need to go over the top with insulation. Especially if it a few hours a day and a few days a week.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wood stove, pellet, natural gas, propane, diesel, kerosene. All less expensive than resistive heating...unless there is a super special rate or solar involved.

If it's a small space, the wood stove or pellet may take up too much space. I currently heat my garage with a vent-free natural gas heater, but again, space. I am in the planning stages of outbuilding and I will be using pellet.

Honestly, if the heat source is relatively inexpensive and kicks out heat, there is no real need to go over the top with insulation. Especially if it a few hours a day and a few days a week.

A few years ago my ex bought two of those advertised on TV Amish electric lol heaters to help drop her heating bill.
    Her gas bill would be around $200.00 bucks a month. Her electric bill zipped up over $400.00 a month, after two months of that she finally listened and unplugged both of them. It ended up being like a thousand dollar electric bills plus what ever she pain for the heaters.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Yes space is important in a small shed or garage. I used a hanging from ceiling unit that did not take any usable space. In my well insulated garage I can run it 15mins and stay warm for 2-3 hours. Something else may be better for other situations. There a lot of options now that were not available to me 20 years ago.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    We've got one of the kit type wooden sheds I'm getting ready to turn in to a work shop. I'd like to insulate it and was thinking the foam board would be the way to go but it's definitely not cheap. Figured I'd check with the fine folks of Ingo on recommendations? If foam is the way to go so be it but if there's a more affordable alternative I'm all for it. If it makes a different I believe the walls are probable 24" OC.
    Pink board 3 inches with taped seams all the way around is equivalent to spray foam the same thickness.

Lpherr

Occupied

I beg to differ.

Anaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction.
    I went into anaphylactic shock while helping my father insulate when I was younger.
    Throat swelled shut and couldn't breathe, along with other issues. The itching was the least of them.

Top Bottom