• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've got one of the kit type wooden sheds I'm getting ready to turn in to a work shop. I'd like to insulate it and was thinking the foam board would be the way to go but it's definitely not cheap. Figured I'd check with the fine folks of Ingo on recommendations? If foam is the way to go so be it but if there's a more affordable alternative I'm all for it. If it makes a different I believe the walls are probable 24" OC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    what's cheaper, foam board, or the pink stuff/rock wool plus drywall, plywood, etc on the inside to sandwitch it?

Rock wool supposedly has 20% more insulation than fiberglass

Scratch that. I misread. Its more EXPENSIVE but provides better soundproofing.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Foam board is about as cheap as you can get by with. Spray foam is expensive and depending on the installer can be mixed wrong and cause toxic vapors. Blanket insulation are going to cost more if you need to cover it although you could leave it exposed.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    R13 or heavier roll insulation and most likely foam between the floor joists.
    So it won't faĺl down in a few years.
    I run a decent dehumidifier in my loading room about 4 hrs s day. It easily keeps that room at 35 % humidity.
    With today's elect Bill for the shop it adds about 10-12 bucks a month and it adds some heat to that room. The room is 8' x 22' long. It

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    One more thing to consider is if you're allergic to fiberglass insulation. I am and if it is not covered and sealed I would itch every time I got near it. I worked a couple of years part time installing insulation and it never got better. I hate that sh*t!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never had any problems with the fiberglass stuff. I wasn't planning to cover it, at least not right now. I just want to be able to keep it tolerable in the upcoming frigid temps.

Appreciate the advice!

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I've never had any problems with the fiberglass stuff. I wasn't planning to cover it, at least not right now. I just want to be able to keep it tolerable in the upcoming frigid temps.

Appreciate the advice!
    Then that would be you best (cheapest) bet. You can probably staple it to the studs and be good. :thumbsup:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Appreciate the advice!
    What's you heating source there big shooter?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Really depends on what energy is going to cost. Insulation is a 1 time investment, energy is a monthly expense if not heating by renewable energy off your land (Wood).

I remodelled an old mud room/porch on our house into a laundry & full bath, used a lot of foam board & spray foam. Can't tell any difference in our energy costs & the room stays comfortable year round.

If we build new or substantial remodel, it will be with foam, walls & attic. My belief is that energy is going to get much more expensive.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Really depends on what energy is going to cost. Insulation is a 1 time investment, energy is a monthly expense if not heating by renewable energy off your land (Wood).

I remodelled an old mud room/porch on our house into a laundry & full bath, used a lot of foam board & spray foam. Can't tell any difference in our energy costs & the room stays comfortable year round.

If we build new or substantial remodel, it will be with foam, walls & attic. My belief is that energy is going to get much more expensive.
    Always good to plan ahead. When we build our house 32 years ago I had it build for a heatpump system. I when with 6" stud walls, 6" Owens-Corning pink and 7/8" foam sheet outside. It has paid off.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Haven't gotten that far yet
    Something like this will do if you have a 240 volt feed to the shed.

KEN BROWN 3000/4000/5000W Electric Garage Heater, 240v Hardwired Fan Forced Ceiling Mount Space Heater with Thermostat, Overheat Protection for Garage, Workshop, Warehouse, 2023 Upgraded​

$145.99

1704860204958.png

Top Bottom