• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We've got one of the kit type wooden sheds I'm getting ready to turn in to a work shop. I'd like to insulate it and was thinking the foam board would be the way to go but it's definitely not cheap. Figured I'd check with the fine folks of Ingo on recommendations? If foam is the way to go so be it but if there's a more affordable alternative I'm all for it. If it makes a different I believe the walls are probable 24" OC.
    Stately Freeman Manor was formerly owned by a sign painter. His "workshop" was a 1.5 car garage in back of the Manor's sprawling estate.

Dad and I used foam board (rock-something, it is like gray and khaki). Worked out great and with a mini-salamander keeps it toasty in deep winter. (I am not out there for long stretches so factor that in.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    This is a great idea! Don't pay for 24 hr htg unless your staying out in the shed.
    I was talked into doing our barn in spray foam and have been sold on it ever since. I thought the price was too much for me but when the area becomes air tight and heat/cooling loss is at its lowest, the savings on the other end of it is worth it.
    So then I bought a diy kit, which i thought would be a disaster because I heard all of the “you have to know what your doing stories”, and sprayed a room I gutted and rebuilt. It was really too easy. So if you have thoughts on spray foam, these kits make the process simple. They come ready to shoot, you just need to get the chemicals in the tanks to the proper temps before spraying.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We used the pink foam board, 1 1/2" thick in our pole barn and then went over that with OSB and then painted that. Turned out real nice, I can't give you objective results, but it definitely made a difference and was relatively easy and allowed us to do it as time/money allowed.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Some things to think about for heat source.
    • how much moisture does a vent free propane/NG heater put in the space?
    • will there be condensation if allowed to cool down, heat up, cool down etc. My toolbox & tools condensate as the area goes through warm/cool cycles.
    • is some passive solar heating an option?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Some things to think about for heat source.
    • how much moisture does a vent free propane/NG heater put in the space?
    • will there be condensation if allowed to cool down, heat up, cool down etc. My toolbox & tools condensate as the area goes through warm/cool cycles.
    • is some passive solar heating an option?
    Moisture is acceptable to a level of 20 PPM in propane and over that amount droplets of water will be visible. In the winter months, it is standard practice for fuel suppliers to add methanol to the propane to prevent moisture. The ratio is not much, about 3 pints to 1000 gallons of propane.
    Or one molecule of propane produces three molecules of water. lol

I try to keep four 100lb propane full most of the time. I have used propane for 25 years now to heat a house I'm gutting, the preheat for my shop till the wood stove is pumping out heat and to heat my loading room with setting a little salamander in an open swing door.
    Ive never really noticed excessive moisture in the shop or loading room that I can say its from the bit of water in propane.
    And like Ive posted I run a decent sized dehumidifier in the loading room a few hours a day.
    The gallon and a half? tank on the dehumidifier takes about a week to fill up.
    Just running that made a huge difference in humidity in that roon and inside of the vault thats there also. I want to say the dehumidifier costs about $15.00 bucks a month to run.
    If all the tools and machinery in my shop and 10* to 30* everything will have water running down it for a bit untill that metal gets warmed up. With that I perheat the shop with a 200.000? btu construction heater. Its hard on propane with the valve turned up.
    Every year I seem to forget to tie in NG to that end of the building.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe she's gone with electric, the electric bill will let me know. :crying:

I've been amusing myself with the thought the chickens couldn't figure out a pilot light, so you had to go electric. Touch sensitive thermostat, obviously, so they can adjust the temperature via pecking.

Yes, that's seriously how my mind works. Or doesn't. Your call.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been amusing myself with the thought the chickens couldn't figure out a pilot light, so you had to go electric. Touch sensitive thermostat, obviously, so they can adjust the temperature via pecking.

Yes, that's seriously how my mind works. Or doesn't. Your call.
    There isn't much that I could walk into that coop and find that would surprise me lol.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Well if you don’t start conversations with the phrase “your dumb ass mother” you won’t have to worry about sleeping in the barn!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Cheap, easy and fast ? 1" bubble wrap and 3M type of spray adhesive. I did our garage door with this and it's now 12 years later.
    HVAC suppliers have foil bubble duct wrap that’s thin and is I believe R6/7?? Comes in a big roll Bugs don’t eat it and it’s tough stuff. I don’t remember the dimensions but I think 4’x100 feet

Top Bottom