• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    So long story short i have grade A POS in-laws that kicked their 17 year old son out yesterday. The kid is a workin fool and paid for his own truck and will be staying with me and the Mrs. until hes 18 and can get his own place. His parents are trying to say HE cant take his truck, and the local cops wont let him take it. The BIL and I are co-owners, its on my insurance, and the In-Laws said theyre going to scrap it.

My question is can i just go take it since i legally own it? Id hate to see the kid lose his truck that he paid for (thats why im a co-owner instead of his parents) but they are his legal guardians so i dont know if in a round about they own it too?

Also can they get in trouble for kicking him out? Id secretly love to see them in trouble and there’s a zero percent chance they would pass a drug test or a cps visit since their house was half burnt down and is now full of mold.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    So long story short i have grade A POS in-laws that kicked their 17 year old son out yesterday. The kid is a workin fool and paid for his own truck and will be staying with me and the Mrs. until hes 18 and can get his own place. His parents are trying to say HE cant take his truck, and the local cops wont let him take it. The BIL and I are co-owners, its on my insurance, and the In-Laws said theyre going to scrap it.

My question is can i just go take it since i legally own it? Id hate to see the kid lose his truck that he paid for (thats why im a co-owner instead of his parents) but they are his legal guardians so i dont know if in a round about they own it too?

Also can they get in trouble for kicking him out? Id secretly love to see them in trouble and there’s a zero percent chance they would pass a drug test or a cps visit since their house was half burnt down and is now full of mold.
    Who is on the title?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Contact DCS to look into the parents kicking him out. As far as the truck, you ARE a co-owner, but if they won't let you come on their property to take it-there isn't much you can do other than sue them perhaps. If you have keys and find it in a public place...have at it. Not sure if the scrappers need a title to scrap a vehicle or not. If they do, they will need you to sign it over. If they don't need a title, you are kind of out of luck.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Contact DCS to look into the parents kicking him out. As far as the truck, you ARE a co-owner, but if they won't let you come on their property to take it-there isn't much you can do other than sue them perhaps. If you have keys and find it in a public place...have at it. Not sure if the scrappers need a title to scrap a vehicle or not. If they do, they will need you to sign it over. If they don't need a title, you are kind of out of luck.
    Wouldn't it be a stolen vehicle if they won't let him retrieve it and he has the title?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    He's co-owner, not sole owner.

With that in mind, even getting the truck from a public place wouldn't protect junior if he's caught driving it and the other co-owner reported it stolen...

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

With that in mind, even getting the truck from a public place wouldn't protect junior if he's caught driving it and the other co-owner reported it stolen...
    But it doesn't sound like the parents are the other owner. Who is the other owner is the question.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Who is on the title?
    Myself and the brother in law who paid for it. The BMV said he couldnt have sole ownership since he wasnt 18.

I have spare keys and the truck is parked in an alley next to their house. I wouldnt need to speak to them, or even step onto their property to get it but they would come out of the house and try to start crap if i did take it. Thats why id like to have my ducks in a row, as the likelihood of the police getting called again is high.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Myself and the brother in law who paid for it. The BMV said he couldnt have sole ownership since he wasnt 18.

I have spare keys and the truck is parked in an alley next to their house. I wouldnt need to speak to them, or even step onto their property to get it.
    I'd go get it then. Maybe give the local PD a heads up.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I have spare keys and the truck is parked in an alley next to their house. I wouldnt need to speak to them, or even step onto their property to get it but they would come out of the house and try to start crap if i did take it. Thats why id like to have my ducks in a row, in case the police get called again.
    Welp, possession is 9/10’s of the law, or at least the perceived law, if they’re not really highly motivated to actually own it (arguing over scrap sounds more vindictive than value based), so I’d say a combination of taking it, bribery with money ($100?), and bribery with threats of what you won’t do/will do (call dcs, report stolen) may reach the best end for everyone.
    Sorry for your troubles, brother.
    Good on you for being there for the kid.
    Remain calm, and think clearly.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

It's not stolen if one of the owners gives the non-owner driver permission to drive it. Civil matter.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Welp, possession is 9/10’s of the law, or at least the perceived law, if they’re not really highly motivated to actually own it (arguing over scrap sounds more vindictive than value based), so I’d say a combination of taking it, bribery with money ($100?), and bribery with threats of what you won’t do/will do (call dcs, report stolen) may reach the best end for everyone.
    Sorry for your troubles, brother.
    Good on you for being there for the kid.
    Remain calm, and think clearly.
    Its 100% vindictive, they’re mad at him because hes tired of their constant BS and doesnt want to live there anymore. Its a 78’ k10, scrap value is much lower than actual value. I wont pay them a dime, they get enough of my money thanks to the government. I could threaten them but it would go in one ear get infused with the dope, and come out the other as something totally different. The plan is to just take it, i believe i have every right to get in it and drive off since the alley is public property.

Thanks, ive been down this same exact road with them before. Their youngest daughter lived with me from 16 until she got her own place. The only difference is when she moved in she didnt have anything of value or her own wheels so they couldnt do anything to hurt her.
    Sometimes one just needs to do what needs to be done.
    Quit posting about it.

What was that Nike quote again?
    Yes, because running in gun-ho when i dont know for sure if im legally in the right is the answer.

It's not stolen if one of the owners gives the non-owner driver permission to drive it. Civil matter.
    Wait.. could the BIL and I report it stolen if his parents and the local PD wont let him take it? The local PD told the BIL its a civil matter as well but i own half the dang thing.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

I have spare keys and the truck is parked in an alley next to their house. I wouldnt need to speak to them, or even step onto their property to get it but they would come out of the house and try to start crap if i did take it. Thats why id like to have my ducks in a row, as the likelihood of the police getting called again is high.
    Let me see if I have this straight. You and the 17 year old are on the title. The parents are not on the title. Is this correct? Because if it is it sounds like they have no leg to stand on.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Wait.. could the BIL and I report it stolen if his parents and the local PD wont let him take it? The local PD told the BIL its a civil matter as well but i own half the dang thing.
    I thought the BIL was the kid's dad? If the parents aren't on the title, what the hell say do they have in what you do with property they don't own?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Its 100% vindictive, they’re mad at him because hes tired of their constant BS and doesnt want to live there anymore. Its a 78’ k10, scrap value is much lower than actual value. I wont pay them a dime, they get enough of my money thanks to the government. I could threaten them but it would go in one ear get infused with the dope, and come out the other as something totally different. The plan is to just take it, i believe i have every right to get in it and drive off since the alley is public property.

Thanks, ive been down this same exact road with them before. Their youngest daughter lived with me from 16 until she got her own place. The only difference is when she moved in she didnt have anything of value or her own wheels so they couldnt do anything to hurt her.

Yes, because running in gun-ho when i dont know for sure if im legally in the right is the answer.

The BIL is not one of his parents? If that's the case, how on earth could his parents do anything if neither of their names are on the title?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Let me see if I have this straight. You and the 17 year old are on the title. The parents are not on the title. Is this correct? Because if it is it sounds like they have no leg to stand on.
    I thought the BIL was the kid's dad? If the parents aren't on the title, what the hell say do they have in what you do with property they don't own?

Yes, sorry. BIL = brother in law (the 17 year old who got kicked out) his parents are not on the title or insurance or anything.

I dont know if they have a leg to stand on or not since they are his legal guardians.

Top Bottom