• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If one know little to nothing about radio, where would one begin?
    Find an Elmer. (the ham word for mentor)

Or crack a book. Or a website.
    https://www.Hamstudy.org is a good place to start. You can study for the test there.

I found that this guy's books are awesome. He goes through each test question, tells you what the correct answer is, and WHY it is.

This might also be right up your alley.

Amazon product ASIN B07VF9MQ81
    as you look for study guides, understand that the tests change every 4 years. Dont get stung and buy the older book because some clown is selling it for a couple bucks to sucker somebody who doesnt understand. (I'd offer to loan my ebook if it wasnt outdated)

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Find an Elmer. (the ham word for mentor)

Or crack a book. Or a website.
    https://www.Hamstudy.org is a good place to start. You can study for the test there.

I found that this guy's books are awesome. He goes through each test question, tells you what the correct answer is, and WHY it is.

This might also be right up your alley.

Amazon product ASIN B07VF9MQ81
    as you look for study guides, understand that the tests change every 4 years. Dont get stung and buy the older book because some clown is selling it for a couple bucks to sucker somebody who doesnt understand. (I'd offer to loan my ebook if it wasnt outdated)
    The questions may change a bit but the material is the same. I was accidentally given the new test book for Extra class. I still passed the test but I knew there were several questions I had never seen. Since it was 2 days before the new questions were allowed to be used, I had to take the test again with the correct test booklet. Still passed!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I failed my first pass at the general. 3 tests. oof.
    When I studied, the flashcard site and practice tests I used never presented ANY flashcards or questions about vacuum tubes. Between all 3 of the tests, I saw every single vacuum tube question and didnt know a single one of them. :facepalm:
    I was passing the practice exams easily. I failed each of the first 3 tests by 1 question. Without the vac tube questions, I would have easily passed.

I sat for the exam a month later and easily passed on my first try since I was able to study the vacuum tube questions.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I failed my first pass at the general. 3 tests. oof.
    When I studied, the flashcard site and practice tests I used never presented ANY flashcards or questions about vacuum tubes. Between all 3 of the tests, I saw every single vacuum tube question and didnt know a single one of them. :facepalm:
    I was passing the practice exams easily. I failed each of the first 3 tests by 1 question. Without the vac tube questions, I would have easily passed.

I sat for the exam a month later and easily passed on my first try since I was able to study the vacuum tube questions.
    I’d fail now if there were vacuum tube questions! I don’t even remember studying about them.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What specifically?
    Cb.
    Ham.
    General theory.
    Gmrs.
    Mars.
    Frs.
    Ofdm.
    That family band I can't recall.
    Broadcast.
    Pirate radio.
    Etc etc?

You're in a ham thread so if I were to assume ham I'd start here.

Inhamoperators.com

It's a collection of getting started resources I put together.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    for a fee... LOL

But seriously. I was VERY surprised how poorly the "quality" radio performed given all the :poop: those that complain about the CCS being inferior. I expected MUCH better performance.

Very cool. I have no idea how to interpret the numbers but it was interesting to see that video. Thanks for posting!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    look at his graphics. the higher the SNR number, the better.
    Signal to
    Noise
    Ratio

Noise is static, or other rfi (radio frequency interference). It's the stuff you don't want. Your base level noise is refered to as the noise floor.

If you were to get into sdr you will get to see some great visual representations of noise vs signal in the "waterfall"

It's really cool stuff.

I had an sdr hooked up to a modest antenna and was able to pick up a radio station out of Alabama that was some fire and brimstone preacher pontificating with great vigor and passion. Despite being an atheist I was captivates by his passion I listened for like an hour while smoking a pipe.

I love that radio stuff, working for Motorola really had a big impact on me I learned so much and got to talk to some really cool people whilst fixing really cool ****.

But I digress. I was really just planning on replying with what snr was to help add helpful info here.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Get in touch with your local AARL club and if they're worth anything, they'll welcome you with open arms. I was lucky to have a great one who did a prep class and proctored the exam. If your local club isn't helpful, go another county over.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    As someone else has suggested, find an amateur radio club near you. Face to face interaction and most any operator will be happy to demo his radio gear. Also, a lot of clubs keep an operating station ready to go so that would be a good thing to see.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I would find a local club, they will likely give you the tests, and they will also have people in your area you will want to communicate with and learn a bit of hands on.

You will want a few discussion forums where you can read up on different aspects of ham radio.

The ARRL club site can help you find local clubs, local test options etc.

I studied on the hamexam website, link above. On the left side of the page you will find the full test you will take. You can study every question on the test, you can take practice exams until you are at a passing level before you set up a test, and the flash card option is nice because it lets you practice short sessions with immediate feedback on every question without waiting until you finish a full 35 question test to discover if you were right or not. I used it for my General and it worked great. I will likely use it for my Extra if I get the ambition.

I love the Repeaterbook app on android for finding all my local repeaters. It is a offline app too so you don't need a phone tower to use it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, for all those that hate on Baofeng for sloppy harmonics, there is a newer radio I just learned about. (you may already know)

Its the GT-5R. Its considered the newer "cleaned up" version of the UV-5R. The difference is it no longer has spurious emissions like the older radios.
    I ordered a pair for S&Gs. And they arent much more expensive than the 5Rs. Literally $5 more for a cleaner transmitter.

Now to see if it also can be unlocked like the others for GMRS.

Oh, and not to be confused with the GMRS radio, the UV-5X. I guess the original model for those in beta was the GT-5R? I dunno. I just recall there was some confusion as the 5x references another model in the listings.
    One other thing to add. HRCC did a functional antenna test, and pitted the BFs against a Yaesu. The CCJs actually outperformed the expensive Yaesu HT. I was surprised.

Update: It cant. At least not reliably.

And Chirp makes it do weird things when starting from factory default. Like factory default wont clear the memories or settings once Chirp has written to it. I had to re upload the default config from Chirp to truly set it back to factory.

Top Bottom