• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone here doing Field Day this weekend? I'll be in Tippecanoe county at Fort Ouiatenon for most of it.
    This field day even sounds very interesting.

I went to the ARRL website and saw a location closer to me, in Hamilton County, at Cool Creek Park. Anyone going to that one? Worst case, if it isn't fun, I can go to Handel's or Menards afterwards. :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This field day even sounds very interesting.

I went to the ARRL website and saw a location closer to me, in Hamilton County, at Cool Creek Park. Anyone going to that one? Worst case, if it isn't fun, I can go to Handel's or Menards afterwards. :):
    From what I've been reading, solar conditions should be pretty good for this field day

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I listened in on the ham spotter network reports on 442.650 while today's storm moved through. I'm impressed at how well run that was, with each county liaison checking in with spotter reports. It's cool because I've just been going through the civil service section of the ham license material and it was neat to see it in action in a real world situation.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I listened in on the ham spotter network reports on 442.650 while today's storm moved through. I'm impressed at how well run that was, with each county liaison checking in with spotter reports. It's cool because I've just been going through the civil service section of the ham license material and it was neat to see it in action in a real world situation.
    You probably heard me checking in then. Its a well oiled machine once a net starts. :rockwoot:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I listened in too. Were there two separate nets running on .25 and .65? From my understanding the repeaters are linked but it didn’t sound like it was simulcast or tx/rx? How does KM9E work? Lol

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The General Class test question pool just changed as of 1 Jul 2023. It should stay the same for 4 years. Anyone studying for Extra Class has 1 year before that question pool changes again Jul 2024. Tech question pool doesn't change until 2026.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Something to consider based on what I heard during the storm that rolled through a couple days ago.

Make sure you have a battery backup for your rig if you are going to participate in severe weather nets. During the Marion County net, both the primary and secondary net controllers lost power and had to hand off to a tertiary ham to take over for them. Only one of the two had a handheld that would reach, but he was lamenting that his battery wouldnt last long.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Would a couple of UV-5Rs work as a backup in that situation? If they could get to a repeater, it could be cheap insurance, maybe.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you're going to be net control you should have a deep cycle battery at your house. They're $100, last 8 years or more, and could run your HF station as well. Price you pay if you want to be the one that is responsible to run a net and not just be the participant. For my Parks on the Air setup I have a 10 Ah lifepo4 battery that will run my hf rig for 3-4 hours before it dies. That's an alternative but you have to weigh your own pros and cons on lead acid vs lifepo4.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Would a couple of UV-5Rs work as a backup in that situation? If they could get to a repeater, it could be cheap insurance, maybe.
    Yep. I have that as a backup solution. With an adapter to connnect to my roof antenna so I don’t have to go out and stand on the back deck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I got my Tech license back in October, but apparently the couple hand-helds I own won't reliably reach any of the local repeaters - at least, I seldom hear anything on the ones I've got info for. I meant to listen to SkyWarn during the storms last week, but I actually slept through them. . .

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I got my Tech license back in October, but apparently the couple hand-helds I own won't reliably reach any of the local repeaters - at least, I seldom hear anything on the ones I've got info for. I meant to listen to SkyWarn during the storms last week, but I actually slept through them. . .
    you might need a rooftop antenna. or need to hit them from outside the house.

what repeater are you trying to hit?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If I need an external antenna, I'm probably going to have to stealth-mount it inside the roof due to HOA-Nazis. Couldn't tell you what repeaters off-hand, since I've stopped carrying them around with me due to lack of perceived activity - and the fact that they would interfere with my current job, but I live up near Eagle Creek and work in southern Washington Township.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I need an external antenna, I'm probably going to have to stealth-mount it inside the roof due to HOA-Nazis. Couldn't tell you what repeaters off-hand, since I've stopped carrying them around with me due to lack of perceived activity - and the fact that they would interfere with my current job, but I live up near Eagle Creek and work in southern Washington Township.
    You should be able to hit the downtown or north side repeater.

Here are the repeaters used for weather nets.

Top Bottom