• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Point of clarification for weather nets. I lost track of hams that cant listen and comprehend the question being asked by Net Control.

When Net Control asks "Are you base or mobile IN MOTION?" they dont care what your hardware is. They only want to know if you are ACTUALLY driving around or if you are stationary.

So if you are sitting in your living room on your HT (handheld), just tell them "base". As stated by NC today several times, they will not ask you to leave shelter to investigate and report, so your ability to go out is irrelevant due to safety concerns. So dont even tell them you are on a HT. They dont care. You are just wasting air time. Just say "base".

/rant

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    What books would you guys recommend to study with. I've seen some where they trim the fat down to to bare bones and others where you go down a rabbit hole of radio theory.

I found out that there was a repeater that I could have hit during the incident I was involved in on the 9th that is monitored pretty regularly and I could have relayed info over the radio and had a ham call 911 for me. Could have saved me a lot of soreness. The guy I talked to said it's happened before on that repeater. So now I feel like I definitely need to get going on getting my license.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What books would you guys recommend to study with. I've seen some where they trim the fat down to to bare bones and others where you go down a rabbit hole of radio theory.

I found out that there was a repeater that I could have hit during the incident I was involved in on the 9th that is monitored pretty regularly and I could have relayed info over the radio and had a ham call 911 for me. Could have saved me a lot of soreness. The guy I talked to said it's happened before on that repeater. So now I feel like I definitely need to get going on getting my license.
    I like this guy's approach. He gives you the answer then explains why.

Amazon product ASIN B09YMD2LDV
    1689636659132.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also check out hamstudy.org.
    But be careful. Due to how it weights the flashcards based on your performance, you can end up slogging through entire sections, while ignoring other sections of the pool questions. (each test has x number of questions from each section of the pool)

In my case when I sat for the General the first time, I took 3 tests. All of them had questions about vacuum tubes. But during my flashcard drills, I was passing with above 90% each time, but it didnt even TOUCH the section on vacuum tubes. I failed all 3 tries by 1 point. All due to vacuum tubes.

2nd sitting I got it on the first try after cramming and virtually memorizing every tube question.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Point of clarification for weather nets. I lost track of hams that cant listen and comprehend the question being asked by Net Control.

When Net Control asks "Are you base or mobile IN MOTION?" they dont care what your hardware is. They only want to know if you are ACTUALLY driving around or if you are stationary.

So if you are sitting in your living room on your HT (handheld), just tell them "base". As stated by NC today several times, they will not ask you to leave shelter to investigate and report, so your ability to go out is irrelevant due to safety concerns. So dont even tell them you are on a HT. They dont care. You are just wasting air time. Just say "base".

/rant
    I heard that exchange today. I was waiting for the net controller to ask him if he'd be willing to chase down a tornado if one where spotted. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I used HamStudy and passed both technician and general first time out. Not a single vacuum tube question though. I took mine on the 8th of July and the question pool changed on the 1st, so they might have gotten rid of some of the vacuum tube questions.

The key for me with HamStudy was to not just read the answer, but if I was not familiar with that specific point, I'd click in the corner of the card for the explanation. Then, I read through every question the day before the test. Technician is pretty easy to pass. General is not much harder but it does go into depth on things that technician covered at a high level.

I didn't only look at HamStudy though. I also listened to most of "Ham Radio for Dummies" on Audible, which is free. That was an Ok tool, but focusing on HamStudy helped more I think.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I ordered a Yeasu FT65R last night to take a step up from a UV-5R. This fall, I'll pick up a FT5DR to use as my main HT. I'm still thinking about a mobile setup for the Tacoma. I've been thinking about an ICOM ID-5100A in part because it will let me mount the faceplate separate from the radio.

Anyone running mobile from a Tacoma? If so, what are you for an antenna mount?

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I ordered a Yeasu FT65R last night to take a step up from a UV-5R. This fall, I'll pick up a FT5DR to use as my main HT. I'm still thinking about a mobile setup for the Tacoma. I've been thinking about an ICOM ID-5100A in part because it will let me mount the faceplate separate from the radio.

Anyone running mobile from a Tacoma? If so, what are you for an antenna mount?
    Yaesu has 3 mobiles with detachable faceplates. The FTM-200/300/500DR. I've found that as years progress, learning multiple manufacturers menu system and shorthand can be...frustrating. It could be worth considering one brand based on your multiple yaesu HTs.

As far as mounting them, Comet or Diamond makes fine antenna mounts. I've been successful with the K400C and K412C. Depends on how much articulation you need. My hatchback I needed the 400C my SUV has been fine with the 412C.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks. Great info on the mounts. I'll check those out. I'd not thought about the menu system. I was thinking that most radios would be unique given different feature sets, but it makes sense that mfgs would standardize the menu structure.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, when I got into ham radio, I had no idea that I was entering another hobby rabbit hole like I did when I got into firearms 15 years ago. My initial thought was that I'd pick up a box of UV-5Rs for SHTF situation and wanted to get my Tech license to be able to use them. Then while studying for Tech and General, I realized the interesting nature and depth of the hobby. I'm only a couple of weeks into this but think that it will be a long term pursuit for me.

Among the things that I really like about this hobby are that it's perfectly fine to use the equipment while sipping a bit of bourbon. I love the fact that I can practice in my own back yard. Also, I can order just about any radio I want and it ships direct to the house with no middle man to go through. That last point might get expensive if I'm not careful.

The best thing is the nature of the people on the air. Shooting is a great way to meet good people and so is ham radio it seems.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is anyone playing around with D-Star? I just put an ICOM 5100 in my truck and am trying to figure out the D-Star system. I'd love to add a compatible HT to the family, but those can be really pricey. An ICOM 51A is about $150 more expensive than the truck radio. Granted, I had to order a bunch of parts for the 5100 that I don't need to for the 51, but still, $600 for an HT is salty for me right now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I got my 5100 installed in my truck last weekend. Now, I need to figure out D-Star. I ordered a used ICOM ID-92A today for fun.

It's a somewhat stealth install, and when looking across a parking lot, the truck does not scream for attention.
    987b56a8bcd60e1941c716459bd1b801.jpg
    2642d27454979b571f5a71a81ee9da9d.jpg
    a88565837d99fd6f91f813c225510f59.jpg

Top Bottom