• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Congrats on passing, now get ready for the general so you can play some HF voice. We need an INGO 80m or 160m net, any takers?
    Planning to get general next month. With the FCC starting to charge $35 on April 19th, alI plan to test on the 16th and get through it.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    So are Technician licenses free at the moment? And is there a class before the 19th?
    Some test sessions charge $15 to take the tests. From what I have read, you may still pay the $15 at the test as well as the $35 after the 19th. You pay the $35 after the FCC contacts you with your call sign. The FCC site says 10 days to pay the $35 from the date of notification.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some test sessions charge $15 to take the tests. From what I have read, you may still pay the $15 at the test as well as the $35 after the 19th. You pay the $35 after the FCC contacts you with your call sign. The FCC site says 10 days to pay the $35 from the date of notification.
    Indy Elmers on the west side dont charge last I heard. THey used to run the tests out of an aviation school on Girls School road just north of the airport.

Same with Hendricks county. I didnt have to pay to sit for my General exam near Danville.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    If we are at a stage where someone wants to host an impromptu session before the fees take effect, I can get a location and the necessary teaching tools if there’s an instructor available and the desired student body.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If we are at a stage where someone wants to host an impromptu session before the fees take effect, I can get a location and the necessary teaching tools if there’s an instructor available and the desired student body.
    If you need a spot on the SW side. Ive got access to a facility as well.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Indy Elmers on the west side dont charge last I heard. THey used to run the tests out of an aviation school on Girls School road just north of the airport.

Same with Hendricks county. I didnt have to pay to sit for my General exam near Danville.
    I knew some sessions cost the $15, others didn’t. I took my tech at a Lawrence fire station back in ‘15. Took my general at Salvation Army on Georgetown in ‘17 and my Extra was out in Greenfield a couple days before the question pool changed in ‘20. I paid all three times. ‍

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I knew some sessions cost the $15, others didn’t. I took my tech at a Lawrence fire station back in ‘15. Took my general at Salvation Army on Georgetown in ‘17 and my Extra was out in Greenfield a couple days before the question pool changed in ‘20. I paid all three times. ‍
    Its up to the group. Some see it as a service, others not so much.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Planning to get general next month. With the FCC starting to charge $35 on April 19th, alI plan to test on the 16th and get through it.
    Not sure what your study guides are, but years ago I helped out a friends test prep by creating a word doc with the entire question pool, except with ONLY the correct answers. He got a perfect score, said a bunch of the answers just popped in his head. :cheers:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have to work on Saturday 4/9, so if anyone has any other testing resources, please let me know. I’ve been dragging my feet on getting my ticket long enough, I guess I ought to knock it out before Uncle Sam starts charging me. I pay him enough already. I don’t mind paying a club or other instructor for their time.

FYI: ARRL’s site is down for maintenance so I couldn’t search for other test dates.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have to work on Saturday 4/9, so if anyone has any other testing resources, please let me know. I’ve been dragging my feet on getting my ticket long enough, I guess I ought to knock it out before Uncle Sam starts charging me. I pay him enough already. I don’t mind paying a club or other instructor for their time.

FYI: ARRL’s site is down for maintenance so I couldn’t search for other test dates.
    The guys out on the west side did theirs on a weeknight. Check the arrl site when it comes back up.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It also seems they charge the $35 for a new license, a renewal after 10 years, but not for upgrades to your license or updating information on your license like email or mailing address. This thread and news is a bit old but worth passing on.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    It also seems they charge the $35 for a new license, a renewal after 10 years, but not for upgrades to your license or updating information on your license like email or mailing address. This thread and news is a bit old but worth passing on.

I posted that well before the FCC instituted the new license fees.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, for all those that hate on Baofeng for sloppy harmonics, there is a newer radio I just learned about. (you may already know)

Its the GT-5R. Its considered the newer "cleaned up" version of the UV-5R. The difference is it no longer has spurious emissions like the older radios.
    I ordered a pair for S&Gs. And they arent much more expensive than the 5Rs. Literally $5 more for a cleaner transmitter.

Now to see if it also can be unlocked like the others for GMRS.

Oh, and not to be confused with the GMRS radio, the UV-5X. I guess the original model for those in beta was the GT-5R? I dunno. I just recall there was some confusion as the 5x references another model in the listings.
    One other thing to add. HRCC did a functional antenna test, and pitted the BFs against a Yaesu. The CCJs actually outperformed the expensive Yaesu HT. I was surprised.

Top Bottom