• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    That would be getting into formal registry territory.

You're falling into the "there has to be something we can do" mentality. That is not a good rabbit hole to start down.
    I don’t care how many guns anyone buys within a certain timeframe. I’m not willing to go down that rabbit hole. It’s what you do with them that matters.
    What kind of liberal red flag BS is this? No red flag laws, period. Freedom.

I don't believe I've adequately described my thoughts on this. I'm as much for Freedom as any of you. What I'm trying to say, is that what this girl did is not the exercise of freedom, but the abuse thereof. What she did was abnormal in the spectrum of exercising our god-given rights. And I wish there was a method by which illegal activity of this nature could be detected sooner, before the damage is done.

I do not wish any more infringement to our god-given rights. Full stop.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I don't believe I've adequately described my thoughts on this. I'm as much for Freedom as any of you. What I'm trying to say, is that what this girl did is not the exercise of freedom, but the abuse thereof. What she did was abnormal in the spectrum of exercising our god-given rights. And I wish there was a method by which illegal activity of this nature could be detected sooner, before the damage is done.

I won the lottery for $1.8 million. I went on a gun buying spree over the course of a few months making impulse purchases almost daily. Should I come under additional scrutiny for my purchasing pattern which is part of a Constitutional right?

Honest question: Who decides where the line is where you "abuse" a freedom when it is not immediately obvious anyone else is being harmed?

It looks like there are others that seem to share your opinion:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Doing this once can get you 10 years in prison. Doing it 55 times and can be connected with multiple felonies gets a Low Jack and probation for 14 months.

Am I reading this right??

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not as amazed as I would have been before INGO, but still a bit amazed at how many people are OK with what this woman did.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    What flag? Where? Unless she bought multiple handguns at the same time, there shouldn't be anything tracking the purchases.

What is the appropriate number of purchases in 55 days to not throw up a flag?
    Did anybody read the article?
    Court documents indicate that, during her sentencing hearing held in the United States District Court of Southern Indiana on Wednesday, Nov. 1, Iva Patrick pleaded guilty to providing a false statement during a purchase of a firearm.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I think they caught her doing more than just straw purchasing firearms. I think she knew things law enforcement wanted to know. I think she snitched and this was the deal.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not as amazed as I would have been before INGO, but still a bit amazed at how many people are OK with what this woman did.
    I'm not sure I heard anyone being OK with what she did related to straw purchases.

The reactions were to this statement earlier in thread:

36 firearms in 55 days. How does that happen without throwing up a red flag somewhere, at some level?. That don't smell right. I'm a collector, but 36 is a lot in a short time.
    And people where not cool with a "red flag" based on number of purchases within a period of time, and that being itself something that sets off an investigation, the way I was reading folks responses. That was the rabbit hole people didn't want to go down.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I understand your feelings. Sadly, as with most illegal activity, there really isn't anything you can do without taking freedom from the people that do not break the law.

Maybe throwing the book at her would help a little, but I doubt that. The criminals don't seem to be restrained by the threat of prison time or death. They really seem to have little regard for anything.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Umm, I don't know. How about when you make a straw purchase?

That's based on knowledge after the action. In other words, after the action is committed it is determined a crime was committed.

It seems like a big part of the discussion is, is it reasonable to attempt to regulate a right prior to a law being broken. In other words, knowledge prior to the action.

Top Bottom