• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Considering the story the 24 hour evaluation seems quite legit to me. And considering the media never gets anything right there is probably more to the story than we know. Sounds like a weird dude to me and some good police work. Add all the reported facts together including the time of morning ect. Not normal in the least even though many on here will howl that it is.

I agree, but what can be learned from this? Here is another example of someone talking their way into trouble. STFU.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I agree, but what can be learned from this? Here is another example of someone talking their way into trouble. STFU.

Trouble? How about help! Now lets imagine the same scenario and the guy won't talk. He is still going for a mental. Probably even quicker.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Trouble? How about help! Now lets imagine the same scenario and the guy won't talk. He is still going for a mental. Probably even quicker.

I'm pretty sure mentioning the girl who went missing last year was the big no-no. You can talk, but to bring that up, that would be a little odd.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it illegal to carry a handgun with a license and possess a range finder?

I think several people on this website are in some deep deep trouble if thats the case lol

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

You really think so? Except for the range finder, and an AR instead of a shotgun, I've been guilty of sitting in a parking garage waiting for my wife.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot, I'm trying to understand how silence would get me in trouble.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    hmm, so much weirdness with this. If he hadn't piped up with range from his position to the door, OR made the Lauren Spierer comment, I might push this one into the BPD flexing their muscle category. However, those 2 comments would send my spidey senses through the roof. Bad joke, maybe. Whackjob, also maybe. Either way, I'm going to give BPD the benefit of a doubt on this one.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You really think so? Except for the range finder, and an AR instead of a shotgun, I've been guilty of sitting in a parking garage waiting for my wife.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot, I'm trying to understand how silence would get me in trouble.

Silence is golden. He incriminated himself and/or brought doubt upon his mental stability.

Wouldn't most of us be deemed paranoid if we mentioned scouring the area for potential threats and updating our own situational awareness? From a mental health standpoint...yes.

From a defensive standpoint, no.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    expect for the time of day i should have been hauled in for a metal to i guess waitin' for the g/f to get off work......will all this lead to everyone gettin' checked for seatin' in a parkin' lot:dunno:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Is it illegal to carry a handgun with a license and possess a range finder?

I think several people on this website are in some deep deep trouble if thats the case lol

He didn't get arrested. He is under a 24 hour watch for mental evaluation. Nothing that I read even indicated that he did anything illegal.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Good thing they didn't look behind the rear seat of my truck, when I had an errand in down town Bloomington. I was parked just down the street from a bar.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    He didn't get arrested. He is under a 24 hour watch for mental evaluation. Nothing that I read even indicated that he did anything illegal.
    He is still being forcibly detained via a mental health eval. Pending results, he will be charged I bet.

That's the same as an arrest, they are just seeing if he is a whack job, if so; then they can remove firearms and request treatment. If he is sane, they can potentially bring loitering/tresspass/voyeurism with potential for malicious intent(s).

I've seen people arrested, then sent for mental eval. Charges dropped and clinical treatment ordered via the court after the eval.

This dude WAS arrested.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

So if I am sitting in my car while legally carrying, and I happen to have a range finder, I am automatically going for psych evaluation? Doesn't seem right to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So if I am sitting in my car while legally carrying, and I happen to have a range finder, I am automatically going for psych evaluation? Doesn't seem right to me.

AND you have checked the distance to the building you are watching, AND you start talking about a headlining missing person story, AND you are talking about other guns you have, AND you are otherwise acting creepy.

Wait... maybe I DID just describe you? ;)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    AND you have checked the distance to the building you are watching, AND you start talking about a headlining missing person story, AND you are talking about other guns you have, AND you are otherwise acting creepy.

Wait...what? Where did I read something similar to that before? Oh yeah, the article. For those acting like it might be out of the ordinary for this guy to be put on a 24 hour mental eval., it wasn't like he was just sitting there relaxing after a long day and happened to have guns and the range finder. He was clearly (at least to the officers) acting a bit strange. I'm guessing if you wanted to test it out, as long as you didn't act too strange you'd probably be told to move along.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

He was responding to this post. The guy put himself in the nut house by running his mouth.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wait...what? Where did I read something similar to that before? Oh yeah, the article. For those acting like it might be out of the ordinary for this guy to be put on a 24 hour mental eval., it wasn't like he was just sitting there relaxing after a long day and happened to have guns and the range finder. He was clearly (at least to the officers) acting a bit strange. I'm guessing if you wanted to test it out, as long as you didn't act too strange you'd probably be told to move along.

I agree, the guy is nutty, but his mouth, not his actions, proved it.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Detectives focusing on the Spierer investigation came and questioned the man at the police station...
    Police continued asking questions...
    The man was taken to Bloomington Hospital for a mental health evaluation and a 24-hour emergency hold.
    To all those who think otherwise he was CLEARLY detained, even from the murky lack of detail from the HT.
    I don't have a problem with them detaining him.
    I really don't.
    It sounds like he gave them plenty of probable cause.

But this story is still full of fail...
    ...and the man admitted having other guns at his home in Indianapolis. A Bloomington officer went there on Sunday with a search warrant, and discovered more than 40 weapons.
    If he was going in for a mental evaluation, what is the purpose of going to his home for a search? What if he is evaluated as competent?
    They should just take it for granted that he has weapons and leave him locked up until his evaluation.
    They have 24 hours they can hold someone right?
    BTW, I am pretty sure that the guy doesn't have any weapons in his home anymore.
    They are all locked up in the police impound.
    Properly confiscated and never to be seen again.

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was contacted to determine if the man legally owned the guns.
    Exactly how are the BATFE going to know if they are legal or not, since we have no gun registration here in Indiana. The best they can do is run the serial numbers and see if any of the guns were stolen? The local police can do that.

He was not charged with any crimes or arrested and had a permit to carry a handgun.
    Since he had a permit to carry the guns, they could not charge him with illegal possession of a firearm.
    But he was obviously detained and they are actively LOOKING for charges.
    The shotgun does not require registration.
    Ummm neither do either one of the handguns.

Parker said the man cooperated with officers and did not cause any trouble, but that his actions and the guns did raise concerns.
    His actions were more than enough to cause concern.
    But they had to throw in AND THE GUNS to further scare the sheep from ever having an evil gun because they are bad.
    I do understand the imminent threat from a guy 66 yards from a bar looking like he is casing the place with a rangefinder :eek:
    But it's not the guns fault, it's the actions of the nutty guy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And yet...

And yet...

If the police knew about this - and did nothing - and the guy actually DID something - can you seriously imagine the outcome?

I'm hesitant to play devil's advocate - but, seriously & in all honesty, the totality of the cirumstances needs examined in this case - as in all cases.

Weird / abnormal behavior garners attention regardless if this weird / abnormal behavior is also legal. At some level - I'm presuming judicial - the weirdness / abnormality of the person + circumstances warranted further investigation. Even if behavior is still legal.

Top Bottom